Best Sportscaster in Iowa

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
My beef with the whole thing is I think you have to consider intent. I think it's reasonable to assume his intent wasn't to disparage the kid racially....he meant it as a compliment. In hindsight the reference was inappropriate but a simple apology should have been sufficient.

I was moderately surprised that he wasn’t fired for ripping his own players. I mean the radio guys spend a lot of time with the coaches and team. That was pretty low.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I was moderately surprised that he wasn’t fired for ripping his own players. I mean the radio guys spend a lot of time with the coaches and team. That was pretty low.
The only saving grace on that one is he thought he was off air. Still a bad moment....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I think the way Mrs. Mad Fran screwed him over sucks.

But I do think that he should have known better both about the 'King Kong' comment and the bashing of the Iowa players on an open mic.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I really enjoy Dolph and Eddie together on the football broadcasts. Yes Gary gets some of the facts wrong, but his love for the hawks comes through the broadcast. He is a treasure for the Hawkeyes.

However, nobody comes close to the great Pete Taylor. All he had to say was "good grief" and you knew exactly how the game was going.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
For a small population state, we're so damn lucky to have Dolphin, Walters and Rima.

All 3 are great and all 3 are very different. Any of them would have been deserving and I'm pretty sure they've all won it multiple times.
This is true. Driving through states and listening to other team radio calls can be brutal.

We were driving through Jacksonville during their last game and their announcers were not good. They were so bad I made a comment to my wife about it. She rolled her eyes and went back to sleep. :)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Congrats to Dolph, I'm guessing this is an award of popularity and seniority.

I was lucky enough to meet Dolph and Ed when Zach Johnson held a flood relief event with Chris DiMarco after those bad floods in 2008. It was the Friday before the Iowa/ISU game. My buddy was the pro in the pro-am for a group that featured Cal Eldred, an Iowa baseball coach, and Cal's family members. So I rode along with my buddy while he played with these guys. Great day. Of course I had ISU gear on and Dolph and Ed gave me a little guff, but all-in-all were great to talk with.

That being said, woof it's laughable to try and understand what is going on in Iowa football and basketball.

For a small population state, we're so damn lucky to have Dolphin, Walters and Rima..
Is anybody else annoyed with the way Rima says PAANthurs?

Only thing that used to annoy me about Walters is his, "they needed 5 yards to get to the line to gain", comment. He was the first I had ever heard say that and I found it annoying. Now I hear it from others and it doesn't bother me. I guess I was just used to hearing "they needed 5 yards for a first down".

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Congrats to Dolph, I'm guessing this is an award of popularity and seniority.

I was lucky enough to meet Dolph and Ed when Zach Johnson held a flood relief event with Chris DiMarco after those bad floods in 2008. It was the Friday before the Iowa/ISU game. My buddy was the pro in the pro-am for a group that featured Cal Eldred, an Iowa baseball coach, and Cal's family members. So I rode along with my buddy while he played with these guys. Great day. Of course I had ISU gear on and Dolph and Ed gave me a little guff, but all-in-all were great to talk with.

That being said, woof it's laughable to try and understand what is going on in Iowa football and basketball.

Is anybody else annoyed with the way Rima says PAANthurs?

Only thing that used to annoy me about Walters is his, "they needed 5 yards to get to the line to gain", comment. He was the first I had ever heard say that and I found it annoying. Now I hear it from others and it doesn't bother me. I guess I was just used to hearing "they needed 5 yards for a first down".
I hear Rima is a goood guy but I can't listen to him. It's his voice. :)

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
He may be a nice guy. But he’s terrible at play by play. You can never tell what has happened in a game. Big iowa play? No idea.
Didn't get through the entire thread, but this. 100% this. I really like the guy, met him a few times at different events and couldn't have been more genuine and likable.

But my god does it pain me to listen to him call a game. Especially basketball. He was serviceable when called 48-43 point Lickball games, but anything higher paced than that is just an absolute mess.