• Raisin' Cane's

Votes: 72 77.4%
  • Slim Chickens

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
1E9F6C7E-7D65-4F39-A9A6-0DC605F7CCB6.jpeg
Willie Mae’s in New Orleans. Best ever. Looking forward to going back when we make it to the Sugar Bowl.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm with you more on chicken than burgers for this.

Good beef can really stand on its own without much more than salt\pepper, and I feel like some people go overboard seasoning it taking away from the flavor of the meat.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. You have to have that salt and pepper at the very least. But I feel like even that kind of seasoning is missing at Cane's, or at least they aren't adding enough of it.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
But chicken doesn't have to be one of them. With a bit of seasoning in the form of brining you can add a ton of flavor without adding sauce. One of my family's favorite meals is grilled chicken legs that I've brined in pickle juice for 24 hours. No bbq sauce or ranch or anything else is needed on those and they're massively flavorful.

I get that, but name me a restaurant that doesn't give you a sauce with their chicken? Everyone I have ever been to uses Mayo, BBQ, Ranch or some other concoction to sauce up their chicken.

Certainly every fast food place does this. I can get people not liking Canes, but it is hugely popular and their is a reason. Whether it is price, taste, value or what.

On a scale of perfectly cooked chicken tenders they are like a 9.7, that wins a lot of comparisons in my book because most often they are over cooked and/or too greasy. Canes has neither of those problems. And being a picky eater my whole life, canes sauce is one of the few I actually like.

Also their texas toast is pretty good.

• Informative
Reactions: LarryISU

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The Ornery Chicken
View attachment 103374
How have I never heard of this place? I love chicken places and Smokey D's. Grrr. So disappointed in my first try of WingStop's sandwich. I love their wings. I've tried Slim Chickens twice and neither time made me want it again. Have never had PDQ or Cane's. Briarwood Golf Course makes some mean chicken fingers/tenders.

As far as only chicken tenders, Kwik Stop is pretty good.
I had it last night for the first time. My buddy runs the north location in Ankeny and had it made fresh for me. I got the white 2-piece and I was impressed with the wing, and the juiciness of the breast. The breading is really crispy but a bit salty for me. I'd put High Life Lounge at the top, and right behind that Pizza Ranch, then Kwik Star/Trip & Popeyes in a tie. KFC in Ankeny had ruined chicken for me so I'm glad their are other options.

Reactions: JP4CY

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I get that, but name me a restaurant that doesn't give you a sauce with their chicken? Everyone I have ever been to uses Mayo, BBQ, Ranch or some other concoction to sauce up their chicken.

Certainly every fast food place does this. I can get people not liking Canes, but it is hugely popular and their is a reason. Whether it is price, taste, value or what.

On a scale of perfectly cooked chicken tenders they are like a 9.7, that wins a lot of comparisons in my book because most often they are over cooked and/or too greasy. Canes has neither of those problems. And being a picky eater my whole life, canes sauce is one of the few I actually like.

Also their texas toast is pretty good.
It's just a missed opportunity for them. I agree that their cooking method is very good. It's just under seasoned.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
But chicken doesn't have to be one of them. With a bit of seasoning in the form of brining you can add a ton of flavor without adding sauce. One of my family's favorite meals is grilled chicken legs that I've brined in pickle juice for 24 hours. No bbq sauce or ranch or anything else is needed on those and they're massively flavorful.
And salty?

The Cane's seem to me to have very bleh breading and the combo of cooked crispy breading and cooked chicken is never right to my palate. I'd like to eat cole slaw given their options but I've never tasted worse slaw in my life.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And salty?

The Cane's seem to me to have very bleh breading and the combo of cooked crispy breading and cooked chicken is never right to my palate. I'd like to eat cole slaw given their options but I've never tasted worse slaw in my life.
Not too salty at all. Just the right amount of seasoning. You don't want to leave it in the brine for too long. 24 hours max. And if pickle juice isn't your jam, you can just as easily make your own brine and add whatever flavors you want.

I did one recently with salt, water, Worcestershire, a little sugar and Caribbean jerk spice, and turned out fantastic.

Reactions: drmwevr08

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Within a 3-mile radius of my house, for fast food chicken chains, I've got Chicken Express, Golden Chic, Williams Chicken, Zaxby's, Canes, El Pollo Loco, Popeye's, Lisa's Chicken, Dave's Hot Chicken, Pollo Rigio, Pollo Campero, Chicken Pullito, Chick-fil-A, Luci's Chicken and Rice, Wingstop, ..and last and probably least...KFC. Some of these are regional/metroplex chains. And there are a few more non-chain independents stuck in the strip malls here and there. And these places are chicken-only.

El Pollo Loco came to the area about 3 years ago. I like them. Within the last month, literally right across the street, Chicken Pullito opened in an abandoned Taco Beuno, and Dave's Hot Chicken opened up in an abandoned Captain D's seafood.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm glad there has been shout outs for Ornery Chicken in Ankeny. I love that place. To go orders or delivery only, but you get restaurant quality for fast food prices.

I'm trying to eat healthier, so I'm glad others will keep that place in business until I'm off the diet!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Personally I can't take seriously anyone who thinks Cane's is the best. The chicken is so underseasoned. All of the flavor is meant to come from the sauce. It's just chicken, bread crumbs, and salt, fried. Where are the spices???

I’ve had Canes once and that’s the impression I was left with. Well cooked but flavorless.

This thread made me try Slim Chickens again tonight. We went when it was still busy after the grand opening and they evidently had a fryer down. Decent flavor but it was just kinda rubbery and wasn’t crisp at all. I assumed it was the fryer trying to keep up.

Tonight wasn’t any different. Zero crunch from the chicken in my wrap. Just pretty meh all around.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How have I never heard of this place? I love chicken places and Smokey D's. Grrr. So disappointed in my first try of WingStop's sandwich. I love their wings. I've tried Slim Chickens twice and neither time made me want it again. Have never had PDQ or Cane's. Briarwood Golf Course makes some mean chicken fingers/tenders.

I had it last night for the first time. My buddy runs the north location in Ankeny and had it made fresh for me. I got the white 2-piece and I was impressed with the wing, and the juiciness of the breast. The breading is really crispy but a bit salty for me. I'd put High Life Lounge at the top, and right behind that Pizza Ranch, then Kwik Star/Trip & Popeyes in a tie. KFC in Ankeny had ruined chicken for me so I'm glad their are other options.
My man, you know your chicken.

Take my chicken advice and give Bubba's a shot too.

Reactions: stateofmind

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I only recently learned you can get the bread at Cane’s ‘bobs’ style. Buttered On Both Sides. Game changer. Insanely great.

Reactions: ScottyP

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron