Best IPA brewed in Iowa

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Sorry to technicality but Sue is a Pale Ale, and Tropical Burn, which is probably #2 for me is technically a DIPA....

Ok you cicerones, stand down. OP didn't state that it had to be 14B. 9 people out of 10 would call both Psuedo AND Tropical Burn a "IPA".

:spinny:

Last edited:

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
As many have already said, Sue, along with every other TG beer, are still made in Decorah, just not on a large scale. Was just at their taproom the other night and had a Pompeii while my fiance had a Golden Nugget, definitely preferred the Pompeii. Needs to be on your list if you haven't had it! On another TG note, they had a Saison on tap the other night that was unreal.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Good list so far. TG is king in Iowa for IPA's. Others I enjoy.
Firetrucker Tropical Burn
Torrent DIPA
Peacetree grapefruit IPA
515 OJ IPA
Confluence Thomas Beck
Pulpit Rock Saftig

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Slightly off topic question here. I'm a porter and stout fan, with a little summer ale and Oktoberfest beers thrown in at the appropriate time of year. Inconsistently drink IPAs and haven't gotten to the point of liking them yet. Is there a certain taste to acquire or a specific thing to look for within the flavor of the beer? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If we're talking straight IPAs (not APAs or DIPAs), it's either TG Pompeii or Pulpit Rock Saftig.

DSM IPA and OJ IPA are very good as well. I think everything Alluvial does is either an APA or DIPA, but their hoppy beers rule too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Slightly off topic question here. I'm a porter and stout fan, with a little summer ale and Oktoberfest beers thrown in at the appropriate time of year. Inconsistently drink IPAs and haven't gotten to the point of liking them yet. Is there a certain taste to acquire or a specific thing to look for within the flavor of the beer? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

What got me into IPAs was learning that the flavor coming from them was supposed to be the flavor of hops. I guess it gave me a frame of reference to understand what was going on. New Belgium had a spring seasonal APA called Mighty Arrow that really got me into hoppier flavors. Then I had fresh Bell's Hopslam and it just hooked me.

Prior to that, I had been very into porters and stouts. Still enjoy them, but malty definitely takes a back seat to hoppy for me.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What got me into IPAs was learning that the flavor coming from them was supposed to be the flavor of hops. I guess it gave me a frame of reference to understand what was going on. New Belgium had a spring seasonal APA called Mighty Arrow that really got me into hoppier flavors. Then I had fresh Bell's Hopslam and it just hooked me.

Prior to that, I had been very into porters and stouts. Still enjoy them, but malty definitely takes a back seat to hoppy for me.

Bumping on this. Thanks, Al. Appreciate the response.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Surprised no mention of Nebular from alluvial. It only comes around every so often but it's probably my favorite along golden nugget. Overall I'm not a huge IPA fan though. It's gotten to the point where brewery's just make the hoppiest beer possible and hide all other flavors. I'd rather have a good pale over an ipa

• Agree
Reactions: baller21

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron