Best Iowa HS athlete of all time

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Brandon Scherff, dominant in football at 3 positions, also dominant in basketball and track and field while being a solid baseball player who could drop bombs. Plus post HS he's gotta be the highest paid athlete to come out of Iowa right?
I don't know how much Scherff has made, but Harrison Barnes will have made $166 million after the next NBA season, and he is only 30.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Bob Feller was also an all state basketball player and a state track champion.

The numbers he put up were great but would have been all time elite had he not lost 4 years to the war. Would have pushed 4000 strikeouts and 350 wins. If he'd have had one more no-hitter in that time, which was entirely possible, he'd have been one of 3 guys with 4 or more (Ryan, Koufax)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As a former wrestler, I know I couldn't outrun/jump/throw an elite track star and would probably struggle beating them in wrestling. I know I can outrun most(maybe all) of the wrestlers mentioned.

To say wrestlers are inferior athletes to any other sport is saying Muhammad Ali wasn't athletic. Same athletic skill set of strength, endurance, quickness, balance, mental strategy, timing, and over the top ruthless training.

I was a borderline D1 recruit (good, but by no means elite) and I'd have absolutely destroyed any human who hadn't wrestled at wrestling, like a fall in under 30 seconds. The most athletic wrestler I trained with would climb the ropes very easily upside down, tons of people who run and jump fast in these lists probably couldn't do that. Not saying wrestlers are superior, I'm simply saying it takes a LOT and it's the sport Iowa is most elite in globally/nationally. It's hard for me to think of a sport that requires strength, endurance, quickness and mental strategy in equal measure. Boxing, UFC...that's about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan and merx

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I am going to throw Tyler Sash out there. Besides the obvious fball accomplishments I think he actually got a scholarship offer in bball from ISU? Next to Tim Dwight, was an obscene talent in the midst of Iowa HS Football. Saw him single handedly beat a decent Waukee team. Not an imposing physical specimen but as quick and as tough as anyone I have seen come out of the state.

Reactions: Nihawk

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Brandon Scherff, dominant in football at 3 positions, also dominant in basketball and track and field while being a solid baseball player who could drop bombs. Plus post HS he's gotta be the highest paid athlete to come out of Iowa right?

He's doing just fine for himself but Harrison Barnes has made and will make WAY more money than him. Barnes has made 147 million and Scherff has made 67 million.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
To say wrestlers are inferior athletes to any other sport is saying Muhammad Ali wasn't athletic. Same athletic skill set of strength, endurance, quickness, balance, mental strategy, timing, and over the top ruthless training.

I was a borderline D1 recruit (good, but by no means elite) and I'd have absolutely destroyed any human who hadn't wrestled at wrestling, like a fall in under 30 seconds. The most athletic wrestler I trained with would climb the ropes very easily upside down, tons of people who run and jump fast in these lists probably couldn't do that. Not saying wrestlers are superior, I'm simply saying it takes a LOT and it's the sport Iowa is most elite in globally/nationally. It's hard for me to think of a sport that requires strength, endurance, quickness and mental strategy in equal measure. Boxing, UFC...that's about it.
Yep. I hear you and not saying your wrong. But:
Dustin Avey 400 Hurdles = 50.96
Lisa Uhl 10,000 m = 31:12
Ainsley Erzen 800 m = 2:06

If you for a second think Track and Field, Regardless if it is the 100 or High Jump, doesnt DEMAND Strength, Endurance, Quickness and Mental Strategy than you're just wrong.

I participated in every sport possible in high school. All my coaches said Track will make you better. My Track coach never told me baseball will make me a better track athlete.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

If you for a second think Track and Field, Regardless if it is the 100 or High Jump, doesnt DEMAND Strength, Endurance, Quickness and Mental Strategy than you're just wrong.

I participated in every sport possible in high school. All my coaches said Track will make you better. My Track coach never told me baseball will make me a better track athlete.
Because how many track people went out for football/basketball/wrestling/whatever to stay in shape for track. Now how many athletes went out for track to help stay in shape for their preferred sport. Why coaches told you that about track.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Ben Kueter from Iowa City HS just won the U20 world championship in Bulgaria for wrestling at 97 kg. He's a top 10 overall pound for pound recruit in wrestling. He is a Iowa football and wrestling commit- a 4 star linebacker, 2x state wrestling champ, and also a standout in baseball + T&F. It got me thinking he has to be high on the list of best Iowa HS athletes of all time. Some others that came to mind:

Tim Dwight - won a billion T&F titles + elite all state football

Jeff Clement - Broke the national all time hs homerun record, don't remember if he played other sports though

Jeff Horner - 4x elite all state basketball, standout in football, baseball, and track

Harrison Barnes - At times was the consensus #1 overall bball recruit in the country, did some high jump and long jump in T&F but otherwise didn't play any other sports

Austen Arnaud - One of the best HS quarterbacks I have seen play in person. Also played basketball, baseball, and ran track, was a standout in all 3 but not near as elite as he was in football

Who did I leave off the list?

Who did you leave out?

Ever hear of Dan Gable? Sage Rosenfels? Kurt Warner? Roger Craig? Fred Hoiberg? Casey Blake? Kyle Korver? Zach Johnson? Chris Street? Shawn Johnson? Lolo Jones? Natashia Kaiser Brown? Bob Feller? Nile Kinnick? Reaf Lefrentz? Nick Collison? Kirk Heinrich? Ricky Davis?

I could keep going.

Reactions: pourcyne

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Because how many track people went out for football/basketball/wrestling/whatever to stay in shape for track. Now how many athletes went out for track to help stay in shape for their preferred sport. Why coaches told you that about track.
Not arguing but you sound like the token mid 40's to lower 50's Dad. Kid's don't go out for Track to "get in and stay in shape." Kids go out for Track to develop and improve their speed. Speed can be developed and needed regardless if you run 100 meters or 3200 meters. Speed is a common fundamental in any and all sports. But we digress, so to get us back on the thread. I would have to say: Tristan Wirfs. Much like Gonzo pointed out he was superior in anything and everything he did in High School and was a 3 sport stud.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I wasn't saying superior or inferior. Everybody else seems to think inferior.

The idea that Muhammad Ali or Jordan Burroughs aren't insanely elite rare athletes vs any other sport is insane. Iowa is elite producing wrestlers, not track & field olympians...the basis of my premise, not that track is inferior.

Iowa has had a wrestler in every olympics for a full century. Neither sport is really very popular except for one week every four years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not arguing but you sound like the token mid 40's to lower 50's Dad. Kid's don't go out for Track to "get in and stay in shape." Kids go out for Track to develop and improve their speed. Speed can be developed and needed regardless if you run 100 meters or 3200 meters. Speed is a common fundamental in any and all sports. But we digress, so to get us back on the thread. I would have to say: Tristan Wirfs. Much like Gonzo pointed out he was superior in anything and everything he did in High School and was a 3 sport stud.
All my sons friends said they only reason they were out for track was to stay in shape for football. If they are 50, then that makes me 80 I guess.