Best Des Moines Restaurants?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Didn't read through the whole thread, but there is a new pizza joint in West Glen that I have been very impressed with since the start- Coach's pizza. Great stuff.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Oh, and the Nieman ranch pork chop at Djangos may be the closest thing to heaven on a plate you will find.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Haven't read the whole thread, but a lot of mention of Tasty Taco's which I love but I would vote for Henry J's on the south side for one of the best fried tacos around.

arrrgh11

Oct 28, 2006
Yeah, I've been there a couple times. It's pricey, but the food is absolutely fantastic. Whatever you do, save room for the dessert sampler platter.

Also been there a few times. The food is fantastic. I believe that they were named Restaurant of the Year in Des Moines for 2010.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but a lot of mention of Tasty Taco's which I love but I would vote for Henry J's on the south side for one of the best fried tacos around.

When it comes to food, it just seems like everything's better on the south side. I guess they have to have something to hang their hat on.

capitalcityguy said:
Wow.:rolleyes: Who "treats" downtown DM like downtown Chicago or Manhatten and while you're at it, can you explain what that looks like? This is a new one to me.

Agreed. I've lived in Grimes and WDM, and vastly prefer living in DM proper. I don't go to Court Ave a lot, but I love the unique feel of the various neighborhoods as opposed to the general "sameness" of the suburbs. Strip malls and chain restaurants aren't my bag, baby.

Last edited:

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
Could not find an online menu. I have taken clients to dinner at Nick's and have also went casual with my family a few times. I took my 10 and 12 year old boys to Nick's earlier this year and let them order steaks...they still talk about it. This from kids who rate the quality of food by the speed with which it arrives.

Nick's has steaks, pasta, seafood, and usually a number of specials. If memory serves I think the entree's were anywhere between $15-$25...you could also get a good burger or sanwich in the $9 range.