Best At-Home Free Weights

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Wife is asking me to shut down my gym membership while COVID is really bad but she's compromising that she will buy me free weights to use at home.

I would prefer to go the adjustable route for ease of storage rather than buying a huge set.

Any recommendations on brand, type, weight limit, place to purchase from, etc?

Thanks in advance!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wife is asking me to shut down my gym membership while COVID is really bad but she's compromising that she will buy me free weights to use at home.

I would prefer to go the adjustable route for ease of storage rather than buying a huge set.

Thanks in advance!

Dumbbells and a bench with incline/decline can do many of the things you would want. I prefer the the actual free weights so I can’t help there and been a while since I bought mine.

Reactions: wxman1

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
How much space do you have? Do you have a room that you can turn into a workout room?

H

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Adjustable Dumbbells:
I have the PowerBlocks, Love Them!

When I bought mine, the choices really came down to PowerBlock or Bowflex's SeletTech. Looks like there are more off-brand options now on Amazon.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm and isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Thanks in advance!
I found these recently.

Magnetic weights. If you buy cast-iron dumbbells, you can buy in 10 lb increments. Then putting a 2.5 lb magnet weight on each end fills in the 5 lb gaps. They also have magnets in 1.5lbs too. They work really well since I've had them. Very strong magnetic force so they do not fall off. They are expensive, close to $90 for four of them, which you would need to add 5lb to two dumbbells. But, that's cheaper than buying twice the dumbbells, whish are about $1 per pound. (a set of 60lb cast-iron dumbbells will be around $120).

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Adjustable Dumbbells:

When I bought mine, the choices really came down to PowerBlock or Bowflex's SeletTech. Looks like there are more off-brand options now on Amazon.

I have some very old PowerBlocks (elite series). I don't like them. They clunk a lot when lifting, adjusting the smaller weights is a PITA, and it is easy to put the slide mechanism in the wrong slot.

The newer ones look more solid than mine. Perhaps they've improved.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have feeling a not so small amount of us would resemble something like this

9f8e7df7623669a4d71b432dd12b2470.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Weights cost 2x what they did before this all started.

Got a scale? I have a torch and scrap metal that is only worth 40 bucks a ton. I can make some some money. Although it may look like you are on worlds strongest man with some of the weights I’d make.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Adjustable Dumbbells:

I just bought the Core Home Fitness adjustable dumbells

Went that way because the dumbbells are shorter at lower weight and are super easy to adjust

A total luxury item. Only 50 lbs is the downside. I have to use my other weights above that

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
We have had the bowflex adjustable dumbbells for a while. They work pretty good. They are a little clunky at times especially for the lighter weights. Over time we have collected the smaller dumbbells (up to 25 lbs) so that took care of that problem. Use them with a body-solid bench.

have always wanted free weights, even built a squat rack, but have never pulled the trigger.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I just picked up a Bowflex for the same reason. It only took a couple weeks to get once we ordered it and they had 18 months financing for 0% interest. So far I've been pretty happy with it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not to be THAT guy but people should start taking a look into body weight only workouts. Great results, better on your joints, great adaptability for different skill levels. If you don't believe me looks at Herschel Walker, he never lifted weights.

Not even taking about conventional things like push ups, sit ups and pull ups. Planking, yoga, crab walking, bear crawling, burpies, heavy bag work, jump rope, jogging/walking will give you great results if consistent and diet is controlled.