Beer Safari BOTW 1/30 - 2/6: Grain Belt Premium Lager

GRAIN BELT PREMIUM LAGER REVIEWS

• Total voters

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Fun facts: The Grain Belt Beer sign next to the Hennepin Street Bridge in Minneapolis was constructed in 1940 and is one of the Twin Cities' most famous landmarks. Grain Belt was a dominant midwestern brand until the 1980s and was purchased but the August Schell Brewing Company in 2002.

Country of Origin:
United States of America (Minnesota)

From the Grain Belt Website:
Local legends aren’t just born, they’re brewed. And no beer in the Midwest has a grander brewing tradition than Grain Belt. For over 100 years, Grain Belt has been the beer that fathers have passed on to sons and friends have passed amongst each other at local bars and watering holes. It is a beer with tradition that spans generations. Which is why it has become legendary–both here and across the country.

In the 1940s, around the same time Grain Belt built its famous bottle cap sign overlooking the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis, they introduced a “Beer of Exceptional Qualityâ€â€“Premium. With its crisp, unique flavor, Premium quickly became the flagship of the Grain Belt brand. And still is to this day.

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

BeerAdvocate.com Information: Grain Belt Premium - August Schell Brewing Co., Inc. - Beer Advocate

Confirmed Availability / Place of Purchase: Cyclone Liquors Ames, IA

Cost: $4.99 for a 6 pk bottles

fddkBeersBy_NameAllGrain_Belt_Premium-resized200.jpg

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
Some how calling Grain Belt a "Premium" beer just makes me laugh.

I guess I always rated it right up there with Schlitz, Hamms, & Pabst beer. More like a cheap beer.

cj0227

Mar 21, 2006
Pleasant Hill
It's not only "Premium", it's legendary. It says so on their website. I am a huge fan. Used to have friends up north bring some down every time they came before it was available down here.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Perhaps my favorite beer in the world. They never used to have it in Iowa but I have seen it now at Hy-Vee a couple times.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Ever tasted sunshine while laying in a lush green meadow? Way better than that.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
We actually have some of this in our fridge right now. However, I have not had any of it yet, may have to give it a go tonight depending on how our intramural basketball game goes tonight.

I know for a fact that you can get it at Hy-Vee Wine in Spirits, that is where ours was purchased.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Can you give me some comparables... taste wise?

Skunky beer that somebody pours half the bottle out and replaces it with that butt butter you develop riding in a hot car without air conditioning for a long time on a 100 degree day.

Its not good.

Mich Golden was the only thing worth traveling to MN for ... Grain Belt is the twisted cousin with the 3rd nipple and the face only a mother could love.

I didn't care for it.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Pretty sure they have that everywhere, but if you want to drive to MN, have at it.

Now they do, Mich Golden has only been available in Iowa since late 2006.

In my college days (1997-2002) that was a "road trip" beer

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Perhaps my favorite beer in the world. They never used to have it in Iowa but I have seen it now at Hy-Vee a couple times.
When I was almost legal, Grainbelt and Drewery's, along with Wisconson Club were the cheap beers of cheap students at ISU, unless you got some green beer, then you got sick. :biglaugh:

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Skunky beer that somebody pours half the bottle out and replaces it with that butt butter you develop riding in a hot car without air conditioning for a long time on a 100 degree day.

Its not good.

Mich Golden was the only thing worth traveling to MN for ... Grain Belt is the twisted cousin with the 3rd nipple and the face only a mother could love.

I didn't care for it.

I have to agree with you on this. It is the the Busch Light of MN. The cheap beer that all the cheap college kids and older locals like to drink. You won't find Busch Light on tap aroud here at the small bars but will find Premium.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I have to agree with you on this. It is the the Busch Light of MN. The cheap beer that all the cheap college kids and older locals like to drink. You won't find Busch Light on tap aroud here at the small bars but will find Premium.

Busch Light would be preferable in my opinion ... the closest I could think of would be the Beast (old Mil).

Help Support Us

Become a patron