Beef and Steak Lovers

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Beef (and bacon) are universal topics. They can (and should) be discussed anywhere. Continue with farmers vs. hippies Rd 2.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah but at least you know where it has come from, the quality of the animal, and how it was taken care of and what shots it was given and when. My family also raises beef and usually our worst heifer calves and steers are sold off around the first of the year to a feed lot that finishes them which any of those could be the meat you are buying at the grocery store. Home raised beef you likely are going to feed out your best steers in order to get the best cuts of meats that you can. You aren't going to feed out the worst calf in the crop for yourself which you realize that the retail meats are just your average packing plant cuts. May have come from a really good animal or someone's bottom end of their feeder calf offering.

I would bet that MOST beef producers usually put the ugliest, poorest growing animal on the farm in their OWN freezer, and sell the better stuff to market. And it is still better than what you can buy at Jewel.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Japan has the best beef. You should go there to get your beef.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I would bet that MOST beef producers usually put the ugliest, poorest growing animal on the farm in their OWN freezer, and sell the better stuff to market. And it is still better than what you can buy at Jewel.

LOL

I will take that bet.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Up front, I'm not in the "cow" industry (that's a jab, but I'm not using jimlad).

I have a tie to the hippie/organic foods industry, but also have a gi-freaking-gantic skepticism of the HOLY SHAT WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE RIGHT NOW axe grinding of some in that industry.

I make sausage (pork is what's for dinner a lot of times), I dabble in BBQ, I have cured bacon, etc. I'm not an expert in beef, but I'm a step or six above buying what's in the case at Wal-Mart. My 2c as an above normal (well, normal in Hawk country) consumer:

F-the injected meat. F it right in the A. When you can't brown stew meat because of the 'flavoring solution' cooking out, there's something wrong. If it says "enhanced with up to XX% flavoring solution"...put if back or throw it on the floor.

Corn is probably not the evil world ender that some believe.
Grass maybe isn't as good as some claim.

The absolute best flavored burger I ever had, bar none, was cooked by me from grass fed, local, sold out of the farmer's freezer in the shed as he brushed the cat off the counter and asked his 3 year old to have her mom get him a package out of the freezer in the basement. (ISU Grad BTW) Part of me thinks maybe it had the organs grinded with...might be where the flavor came from.

On the opposite side (corn fed), my local butcher has fed me some dang good meat as well. I'm certain it wasn't grass fed.

In the end, to me, if it's treated like a commodity, it's probably not going to be as good as if it's treated like FOOD. If it's raised by someone who cares about raising cattle, and processed by someone who cares about what they're cutting, and sold by someone who isn't figuring in what they can make in selling 'enhanced' meat, and cooked by someone who knows what they're doing, it's probably going to be pretty good. Anywhere along that chain, throw in someone who doesn't know or doesn't care, it can get screwed up.

Let's all have a burger in celebration.

Reactions: Ciclone