BCS Selections

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think Hawai'i should be in the championship game, but I do think there is something disturbing about the only undefeated not having even a chance to become national champions.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't think Hawai'i should be in the championship game, but I do think there is something disturbing about the only undefeated not having even a chance to become national champions.

They decided their fate when they made their schedule. You can't get into the national championship when you literally beat no one.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

While I do generally agree with the sentiment, I think there needs to be at least an "entrance requirement" that your strength of schedule needs to at least be in, say, the 50th percentile. You don't want to encourage teams to have schedules like Hawaii's. When it's all said and done, their schedule (according to Sagarin) ranked 137th. That means there are 18 1AA teams who actually had harder schedules than Hawaii. At the very least, you need to play a schedule 119 or higher.

I would have no problem with a "0 loss" tournament to get to the NC game, so long as you put those qualifiers on it.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
They decided their fate when they made their schedule. You can't get into the national championship when you literally beat no one.

except for the fact that no one wants to play them. seriously, they try for a harder schedule, but no "good" teams will play them.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
except for the fact that no one wants to play them. seriously, they try for a harder schedule, but no "good" teams will play them.

The fact remains that you can't put them in with that schedule.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

They took a payout by Michigan State to play them. They didn't have to, but they wanted the $$$. If nobody will play them, why will big name teams play Fresno State, who also plays in the WAC? Fresno State's non-conference schedule: Oregon, Texas A&M, Kansas State and Sacramento State. The fact they play in the WAC still killed their SOS, but it was 93 instead of 130something.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
You want to talk about choking...look at West Virginia. This is how much sense the BCS makes:

#1 Missouri loses to #9 OU. Missouri out of BCS
#2 West Virginia loses to #terrible Pitt. WV in the BCS.
Illinois is 9-3 (with a loss to Missouri who is out of the BCS). Illinois in the BCS.

Terrible. Just terrible.
WV is in the BCS because by rule as winners of the Big East they are in.
Mizzou is out because the BCS had to choose between Mizzou and KU and chose the latter. Its as simple as that.

For those of you saying Ohio State "backed in", please remember that they won a conference championship at a hostile environment to a ranked opponent....doesn't sound like backing in to me. They were 11-1, which is a better record than everybody but KU(tied) and Hawaii. You guys are blinded by the fact that you hate the Big 10 due to Iowa being in that conference and that OSU layed an egg in the BCS championship last year. I give credit to Florida, but that is only bad showing Tressel has ever had in a big game....I don't expect another two years in a row.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Re: Mizzou VS KU BCS

Firstly, the NCAA has NOTHING to do with this process, other than saying teams can play in bowl games in the first place.

Secondly, someone will ALWAYS get screwed, every year. It will happen without exception. Wether it's a team not getting into a BCS bowl, or a team getting invited to an undeserving bowl, or a team not getting into the playoffs over some other team, someone will get screwed.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
WV is in the BCS because by rule as winners of the Big East they are in.
Mizzou is out because the BCS had to choose between Mizzou and KU and chose the latter. Its as simple as that.

For those of you saying Ohio State "backed in", please remember that they won a conference championship at a hostile environment to a ranked opponent....doesn't sound like backing in to me. They were 11-1, which is a better record than everybody but KU(tied) and Hawaii. You guys are blinded by the fact that you hate the Big 10 due to Iowa being in that conference and that OSU layed an egg in the BCS championship last year. I give credit to Florida, but that is only bad showing Tressel has ever had in a big game....I don't expect another two years in a row.

OSU did back in, as they would not be in it if WVU and Mizzou won on Saturday. They had to rely on other teams losing to get in, therefore they "backed in." We are not the only ones saying this, the Nat'l press is too.

That being said, as much as I don't like it, under the circumstances they deserve to be there and IMO the #1 ranking.

They did "back in" though.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
They took a payout by Michigan State to play them. They didn't have to, but they wanted the $$$. If nobody will play them, why will big name teams play Fresno State, who also plays in the WAC? Fresno State's non-conference schedule: Oregon, Texas A&M, Kansas State and Sacramento State. The fact they play in the WAC still killed their SOS, but it was 93 instead of 130something.

No-one will play them, because Hawaii insists on actually playing home games. When teams fly to Hawaii, they get beat, because of the "jet lag" factor. So no good teams will risk getting beat and jeapordizing "their" potential ranking.

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA

If Hawaii goes out and pours it on Georgia, the AP can and probably will vote them #1 to ensure a split title and create more BCS debate.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
OSU did back in, as they would not be in it if WVU and Mizzou won on Saturday. They had to rely on other teams losing to get in, therefore they "backed in." We are not the only ones saying this, the Nat'l press is too.

That being said, as much as I don't like it, under the circumstances they deserve to be there and IMO the #1 ranking.

They did "back in" though.
We're going to have to agree to disagree then, since I don't consider an 11-1 mark with a conference championship to be backing in.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
We're going to have to agree to disagree then, since I don't consider an 11-1 mark with a conference championship to be backing in.

What's your definition of backing in? They lost to an unranked opponent in their last home game. Other teams had to lose in order for them to get in the championship. Once they lost that game, they didn't control their own destiny.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Right.

But anyone that would've been in the title game at this point basically backed in.

A person could say Georgia finished better than anyone else as they won their last 6 games, but didn't even play for their conference title.

Virginia Tech won their last 5 games in a row but were pounded by LSU earlier this year.

OU won the Big 12 over a then ranked #1 team (and beat them twice) but lost to the likes of Colorado and Texas Tech.

Missouri beat everyone on their schedule except one team, who got 'em twice and basically embarrassed them the last time.

USC finished with 4 straight wins but owns a loss to Standford, who isn't even going to a bowl game.

Kansas looked good all year except in the one game that mattered and against by far the best team they faced - not even playing in their conference title game.

West Virginia closes the season with a loss to a team that will be staying home over the holidays - Pitt. Their two losses did come when they were missing their best player for a fair amount of the game.

Arizona State is a stretch, but the do have just two losses. However, one of them came to USC, ranked ahead of them and rightfully so.

Hawaii is the only team in the nation that could win every game on their schedule - a lineup that was rather pathetic. They did defeat 3 bowl teams - Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State. Eh, not too impressive though.

I think all of these teams have a case to be in the title game. Each of them failed to capitalize on opportunities aside from Hawaii, who just doesn't have a schedule that matches up with anyone else's.

"Penalizing" them for that? Well, it's an entirely different discussion.

Last edited:

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
Right.

Hawaii is the only team in the nation that could win every game on their schedule - a lineup that was rather pathetic. They did defeat 3 bowl teams - Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State. Eh, not too impressive though.

I think all of these teams have a case to be in the title game. Each of them failed to capitalize on opportunities aside from Hawaii, who just doesn't have a schedule that matches up with anyone else's.

"Penalizing" them for that? Well, it's an entirely different discussion.

Although I do not think that Hawaii has a top-rated defense that would survive being undefeated in the SEC (similar to Kentucky), beating up on them because of their schedule without doing the same to Ohio State isn't fair.

OSU defeated two teams with a winning conference record - Michigan and Wisconsin. Michigan lost to Appy State, Oregon, Wisconsin and OSU, and only beat 1 team with a winning conference record - Illinois (the same Illini that Iowa and Mizzou also beat). Wisconsin only had a winning conference record because their fourth road game was Minnesota, and they barely won that - otherwise, they lost all of their B10 road games and barely survived at UNLV early in the year.

OSU's best nonconference win - Washington. Otherwise, they only beat D1AA Youngstown State, Akron (4-8) and Kent (3-9).

Hawaii beat Boise State (comparable or better than Michigan this year) and Fresno State (I would put money on Fresno State at a neutral site over Wisconsin), crushed the same UNLV team at UNLV that 1 week prior almost beat Wisconsin and also beat Washington. Only difference, they don't have any losses.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Re: Mizzou VS KU BCS

Firstly, the NCAA has NOTHING to do with this process, other than saying teams can play in bowl games in the first place.

Secondly, someone will ALWAYS get screwed, every year. It will happen without exception. Wether it's a team not getting into a BCS bowl, or a team getting invited to an undeserving bowl, or a team not getting into the playoffs over some other team, someone will get screwed.

Say it's an 8 game playoff: I'd be much happier with the team that's getting left out for the 8th spot than the team that gets left out of the BCS title game simply because in most years, there's a big difference between the 1st and 8th teams, and the 8th seed doesn't normally stand a shot against the top team. This year may be the exception, because there is no team far and away better than everyone else.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Although I believe that LSU will handle Ohio State, I wish that Ohio State would have been matched against either USC or Oklahoma. I would expect that USC or Oklahoma could have really stuck it to Ohio State