Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
5’9” shoot first PG.
-Two year varsity player at 4a school, starter as Frosh
-Quit HS team due to uniform and coaching philosophy disputes
-4 year AAU player
-pre game music: Bone Thugs, Westside Connection, 2pac, tribe called quest
-signature move: ole defense leakout for easy cherry pick layup
-I have been abused by such players as; Dean Oliver, David Newman, Ryan luersmann, Ryan sears, and Kirk hinrich (and too many to list non-Iowa guys)
-HS career highlight: drop kicking a full court end of half attempt and getting a T
-AAU highlight: got called for a phantom foul on a fast break layup and drop kicked the ball in to another court with an active game going. Ejected.

Sounds like the fiery sort of competitor that we need.

Question -- what was the "uniform dispute?"

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
5’9” shoot first PG.
-Two year varsity player at 4a school, starter as Frosh
-Quit HS team due to uniform and coaching philosophy disputes
-4 year AAU player
-pre game music: Bone Thugs, Westside Connection, 2pac, tribe called quest
-signature move: ole defense leakout for easy cherry pick layup
-I have been abused by such players as; Dean Oliver, David Newman, Ryan luersmann, Ryan sears, and Kirk hinrich (and too many to list non-Iowa guys)
-HS career highlight: drop kicking a full court end of half attempt and getting a T
-AAU highlight: got called for a phantom foul on a fast break layup and drop kicked the ball in to another court with an active game going. Ejected.

Whats your range on FGs?

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Gunner wanted Hornacek-length shorts, but the coach said no

Okay so this was during the fab 5 heyday. Our shorts weren’t bad, they weren’t Arkansas but they weren’t Horny’s either. The dispute was over not being able to wear black socks. Dumbest crap ever right? What a fascist **** coach that guy was. The bad part was that i had to have him as a teacher later in HS and he was always a ********** to me!

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
  • 29 years old
  • ISU grad
  • academic all-state
  • church league all-star
  • 6'3 185
  • 2 year starter for a central Iowa 2A high school
  • lead the conference in blocked shots and 3 point attempts (i stress attempts but not makes)
  • once scored 27 points on only 3 pointers
  • only shot 9 free throws all of high school because I avoided contact
  • drank a monster before every game (before we knew they were bad for us)
  • took a dump at halftime of every game for "good luck"
  • listened to Nelly in the locker room to get pumped up
  • won the 3 on 3 intramural tournament at ISU with Tyler Ellerman (before he walked on)
Pick me!
This is definitely my favorite out of all of these.

Reactions: Cyke

isume6

May 22, 2011
OKC
Throwing my hat in the ring, here at my stats:
  • 6'-0"
  • 215 lbs
  • 37 years old.
  • Ambidextrous, but can't shoot with either hand.
  • Asthmatic.
  • Deceptively athletic.
  • Scored a grand total of 14 points during 8th grade basketball season.
  • High school intramural team only won 1 game, against the team of all girls, and only won that by 3 points.
  • Got a technical foul and thrown out of intramural game while at ISU.
  • Claim to fame was having a kid at the Lied say if he ever guarded a guy with an ISU cross country shirt on again, he wanted his friends to shoot him (I had the t-shirt on).

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Throwing my hat in the ring, here at my stats:
  • 6'-0"
  • 215 lbs
  • 37 years old.
  • Ambidextrous, but can't shoot with either hand.
  • Asthmatic.
  • Deceptively athletic.
  • Scored a grand total of 14 points during 8th grade basketball season.
  • High school intramural team only won 1 game, against the team of all girls, and only won that by 3 points.
  • Got a technical foul and thrown out of intramural game while at ISU.
  • Claim to fame was having a kid at the Lied say if he ever guarded a guy with an ISU cross country shirt on again, he wanted his friends to shoot him (I had the t-shirt on).

That’s the kind of basketball skill that coaches just can’t teach. You’re either born with it or you don’t have it. **** talking is the art of the game.

Reactions: isume6

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Draymond Green ain't really good at anything but instigating anyways. :D

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Everyone is avoiding academic eligibility. :rolleyes:

I may or may not have been ineligible spring quarter of my freshman year. Prohm would have been sitting 18 year old Boxster because of his lackadaisical approach to class. Sophomore Boxster corrected that.

Is that why your avatar has you in or on "the doghouse"?

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
  • Condition: Dad bod, 6'2" 195 lbs, negative 7 years eligibility
  • History: Asked to leave HS team as a junior...I refused. Asked not to play in an all Asian basketball pick-up basketball game at Lied...I refused.....I played in and lost in 5 intramural basketball championship games (not in consecutive years)
  • Best attribute: I never quit
  • Biggest weakness: I don't know when to quit

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 180ish
Vertical: Daylight
Position: PG
Hand: Right. Limited ability with the left.
Left Knee: Surgically Repaired
Streaky Shooter (mostly cold) who isn't afraid to put them up
Plays mostly outside the 3 point line (both ways)
Good weak-side rebounder, 50% on weak-side put-backs off rebounds
Good Court Vision (passing ability doesn't always match)
Ability to get to the hole is good. Ability to get to the hole with the ball is decent. Ability to finish after getting to the hole with the ball is suspect.
High School Wrestler (gritty)
5* High Five Ability
5* Towel Waiving Skills
5* Pump up the crowd arm wave ability and willingness

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
5'9, 178 lbs -45 years old.
Got 2nd in 6'0 under C League intramurals circa 1993 -multiple other attempts at 5'9 under and 6'0 3 on 3 and regular leagues to no avail.
Once played Horse with Julius Michalik at State gym and got 2 letters on him shooting with my opposite hand (which he was terrible at).
Used to have hops and enjoyed slapping the boards at Lied (they were lower than the ones we were used to back home), now the net looks really high and I don't think I can reach it.
Went to ISU father-son camp last year with my 9 year old and survived, with some close calls.
Still try to play 1-2x per week in winter, adding a brace every year -will share my brace collection with others on the bench.
Range to 17-18 feet, but willing to chuck up 3's if we need rebounds.
Able to (pretend to) double team the post and leave my guy wide open.
Not willing to guard anyone with goggles or shirt-less or really hairy.
Will buy the 1st round after practice/games.

I did that in 2016. My offseason training regimen of nothing and nutrition plan of beer and sweets did not lead to me being ready for actual physical activity. At first I was afraid I was going to die, then I was afraid I wasn't. During the 5 on 5 fathers and sons game I somehow ended up guarding the guy on the other team that appeared to be in the best physical condition of anyone at the camp. This was confirmed when the evening session ended and the dude started running laps around the Lied for extra exercise while everybody else ate pizza.

That was my last father son camp and he will attend shooting camps going forward.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I just read about the first 20 posts and it made me laugh several times. Not sure where the thread went from there, but funny start!

Seriously though: you would think Prohm could find two more decent bodies to fill the team this year and help with practice, drills, etc. Agree that there are undoubtedly D-III and D-II players at ISU. There were several like that at my time at ISU.