Bars that carry ESPN+ in DSM metro

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am somewhat of an audio/visual novice. But what would stop an ESPN+ subscriber from going into a bar and asking the owner if the subscriber can cast ESPN+ from their phone to a bar TV?

If it's busy & and there are limited TV's. The answer might be no. But if its quiet and they have a lot of TV's- who would care?

Reactions: NWICY

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames
The 1858 Club is having their winter party on Saturday with a Cyclone- KU game watch. It is at GameDay Sports Bar & Patio (Merle Hay Mall - Flix Brewhouse entrance) 3800 Merle Hay Road. They do request RSVPs on FaceBook (1858 Fan Club - 2023 Winter Party). They have reserved the center section of the bar for the Club. Otherwise, I would just suggest calling an establishment to see if they will show the game. Go Cyclones!!

Reactions: NWICY and MeanDean

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The 1858 Club is having their winter party on Saturday with a Cyclone- KU game watch. It is at GameDay Sports Bar & Patio (Merle Hay Mall - Flix Brewhouse entrance) 3800 Merle Hay Road. They do request RSVPs on FaceBook (1858 Fan Club - 2023 Winter Party). They have reserved the center section of the bar for the Club. Otherwise, I would just suggest calling an establishment to see if they will show the game. Go Cyclones!!

Good call. Gameday always seems to have a good ISU contingent when I’ve been in town and an ISU game was going.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I live in Norwalk and when ISU games would be on ESPN+ I would go to 1908 Draughthouse. The only issue is they only had two smart TV's and they were both mounted behind the bar so you just needed to know to sit close to the bar. I would ask them to put it on and they always obliged.

Reactions: NWICY

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
So does anyone know of any bars in the metro that have ESPN+ for a game watch Saturday? Figured with the 49ers playing at the same time would be a good day to go for a game watch somewhere. East side of metro (Ankeny/Altoona) preferable, but anyplace in DSM would do.
Can you afford 7 bucks and watch it on your phone?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Can you afford 7 bucks and watch it on your phone?
I have it already. Not exactly the ideal game watch situation though. Part of the fun is being in a group of people watching the same thing you are and reacting to it.

Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I have it already. Not exactly the ideal game watch situation though. Part of the fun is being in a group of people watching the same thing you are and reacting to it.

Gotcha. Tell the bartender to connect your phone to the tv?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Gotcha. Tell the bartender to connect your phone to the tv?
Somehow I doubt anything better than a small town dive bar would consider letting a patron control what's on their tv. Especially with a phone where they could put anything up on the TV.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Any sports bar worth a damn has full access to ESPN+.

The commercial license is only $500 a year for up to 50 TVs. It's a literal fraction of what they pay for everything else plus any bars that want to show the UFC literally have to have it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Any sports bar worth a damn has full access to ESPN+.

The commercial license is only $500 a year for up to 50 TVs. It's a literal fraction of what they pay for everything else plus any bars that want to show the UFC literally have to have it.
I didn't realize it was that cheap. If that's the case there really is no reason not to have it when some of the local teams play on it frequently.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
So does anyone know of any bars in the metro that have ESPN+ for a game watch Saturday? Figured with the 49ers playing at the same time would be a good day to go for a game watch somewhere. East side of metro (Ankeny/Altoona) preferable, but anyplace in DSM would do.
You will spend less on ESPN+ than the markup on drinks and food going to the bar. That being said the picture quality of ESPN+ is horrible. I really hope ESPN works on upgrading these broadcasts.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
1908 Drought House in Urbandale/Johnston had the ISU women's game on last night and that was an ESPN+ game I believe. Would just call any place you were considering watching the game and check if they will have it on.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Somehow I doubt anything better than a small town dive bar would consider letting a patron control what's on their tv. Especially with a phone where they could put anything up on the TV.

Small town dive bars might be the exact place where you could do something like this. Especially if the bartender is an ISU fan. Might as well ask nicely. If the bar is empty after the game, maybe throw some entertaining videos on the tv. Maybe try Donna's.