Band chant question

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
During the opposing team intro, what does the band chant after the 5 claps? I know the students sometimes do the clap clap clap clap clap, "YOU SUCK", but what does the band yell. I know it isn't "YOU SUCK" because the band is classier than that.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
We change it up with every game. We do something that usually goes along with the school's mascot, like for UNI we yell, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty"

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I always love the band chants, even though I don't usually catch them without asking somone :yes:

On a whole, I like a lot of things Pep band does. Kudos to pep band!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm glad they stopped doing those annoying chants for free throws like "you're shooting a giant cheeto" and "hey! your shoes untied" Those were just lame and annoying.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
On Saturday while I was listening to the ISU / Iowa basket ball game, I could CLEARLY hear on the radio, "We're going to beat the Fuge out of you,.. and you,... and you,... and you you you" Except it wasn't fuge, but the mother of all swear words.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm glad they stopped doing those annoying chants for free throws like "you're shooting a giant cheeto" and "hey! your shoes untied" Those were just lame and annoying.

I used to have a friend that covered ISU sports for the Daily, and he said other journalists from around the country would be laughing out loud at us for the freethrow chants.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

I was personally a fan of "You will not make this shot"

I also like seeing what the different intruments (ranks?) do - traveling or dressing up as presents or what not...

The creative way in which some people decorate their instruments, ect

On Saturday while I was listening to the ISU / Iowa basket ball game, I could CLEARLY hear on the radio, "We're going to beat the Fuge out of you,.. and you,... and you,... and you you you" Except it wasn't fuge, but the mother of all swear words.

That would not be the band you heard saying that, that honor goes to Cyclone Alley (or I should say... the student section. According to CAC, we're not allowed to say that) :rolleyes:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I am a complete 180 from this opinion, but I guess to each his own.

By band chants I mean what they say for the intros, becuase they are usually specific to the team.

I see some people are thinking free throw chants, which wasn't the origional topic *shrugs*

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis

I think that's a little uncalled for. I know that the students probably think that they are being cute, but it doesn't reflect well at all on the university. I'm not usually one to poo-poo something, but that and the F-bomb Iowa t-shirts are just tasteless.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I heard some of the old band chants on the TV when we were playing at Oregon State actually. I think the costumes and props the band does is great though.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street

I heard that at the game...but I was still a little disappointed with the mumbled singing of dont know the words to this stupid f'n song. SAY IT LOUD SAY IT PROUD...STUPID F'N SONG!

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
youre a former band member arent you.

Nope. Just live with band members. I can't play an instrument to save my life (I took a few months of piano lessons, thats it)

I heard that at the game...but I was still a little disappointed with the mumbled singing of dont know the words to this stupid f'n song. SAY IT LOUD SAY IT PROUD...STUPID F'N SONG!

When I was putting my flag and pole together at the Iowa game... someone was asking me about that. This mother (with her little kid) asked me if we say "Don't know the words to this stupid song" now insted of (I forget what they used to say, some older members know I"m sure).

I had to carefully explain to her that she was mostly correct without her little kid catching on :rolleyes:

To those that hate it though, don't worry it has been dying in the last few years :sad:

As for the **** Iowa shirts, come on. They have **** State shirts, there are shirts with foots up the other bird's *** and there are shirts with one bird peformingn certain oral acts on the other or both 69'n it with one about to pile drive the other... I personally will stick to "Beat Iowa" shirts, and do find some to be in bad taste but they are the exception not the norm and they do exist on both sides

Warder60

Jun 2, 2006
Denver
youre a former band member arent you.

:wideeyed: because someone that likes the band... must be (or used to be) in the band...
(I'll let flagguy see this and respond for a more straightforward answer)
EDIT: Damn! he posted before me

But, speaking as an ex-band guy, sometimes the best part of the band is the spontaneity. Cheers/taunts are sometimes made up on the spot, good ones stick.
For the intros, like mentioned before we have some classics that get reused, and sometimes a random gets used, occasionally none.

Though I would agree that some of our free throw shouts are cheesy, at best. :dull:

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
As for the **** Iowa shirts, come on. They have **** State shirts, there are shirts with foots up the other bird's *** and there are shirts with one bird peformingn certain oral acts on the other or both 69'n it with one about to pile drive the other... I personally will stick to "Beat Iowa" shirts, and do find some to be in bad taste but they are the exception not the norm and they do exist on both sides

I hate to sound like your parent, but just because they do it doesn't mean that you can do it.

It could be worse. You could go to a Halloween party at Penn State and dress up like a Virginia Tech shooting victim. Talk about classless. This was the only picture that I found.

virginiatech_pennstate_halloween_costume.jpg

4b2ccdee7585acd1e123c96420513a11.jpg

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I hate to sound like your parent, but just because they do it doesn't mean that you can do it.

It could be worse. You could go to a Halloween party at Penn State and dress up like a Virginia Tech shooting victim. Talk about classless. This was the only picture that I found.

virginiatech_pennstate_halloween_costume.jpg

4b2ccdee7585acd1e123c96420513a11.jpg

Like I said I don't personally approve of the shirts, they're just a fact of rivalry.

And wow, those Halloween costumes makes the priest with the little boy's face buried in his croctch look angelic, thats terrible :no:

That's even worse than the Duke Lacrosse players I ran into last year :wacko:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron