B10/11 expansion...this guy gets it and absolutely nails it on the head

IowaCYcler

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
North Liberty
I have tried to avoid these conference change threads but I find this one laughable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the various schools in conferences have affiliated themselves with those conferences for athletic purposes...not for research purposes.

Question for those of you that think this conference affiliation discussion is more about academics and research than athletics...do the schools in any conference pool their research budgets and share them in some equitable manner?

Yes Big10 "(CIC) is a consortium of the Big Ten universities plus the University of Chicago."

CIC Home Page

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have tried to avoid these conference change threads but I find this one laughable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the various schools in conferences have affiliated themselves with those conferences for athletic purposes...not for research purposes.

Question for those of you that think this conference affiliation discussion is more about academics and research than athletics...do the schools in any conference pool their research budgets and share them in some equitable manner?

SO why are they not looking at Cincinatti or West Virginia? The Big Ten absolutely will not sacrifice academic/institutional prestige for simply athletics. Not when there are a ton of teams that would love to be in the Big Ten.

Nothing you gave in that link is surprising either. A lot of Pac Ten and Big Ten schools in there with the occasional other conference.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
if anyone thinks academics don't play a part, read this article interview Mizzou faculty where they are worried their US News and Weekly Report ranking of 102 will keep them out, and how they are salivating at the opportunity to improve their academic stature by being in the Big 10. Not to mention how Mizzou feels they are inferior to a school in Ames, IA.

Show-Me? Mizzou feels it has done enough to earn Big Ten invite - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

Also, according to a chair of a very large academic department at a Big 10 school I know, ISU "is" higher on her school's list than the low hanging fruit - Mizzou. Who wants something/somebody when they are begging???? Mizzou's latest barrage into the media is hurting them both in the Big 12 and Big 10. The Big 10 want something that brings a balance of athletics and academics. And athletics are going to be evaluated on a lot of things - graduation rates, for example, are a much bigger factor than many might think. Mizzou may go, but I think there are going to be offers to other schools first, whether or not those schools take that offer, or even make it public, we will never know. I know that the Big 10 is not liking Mizzou's antics right now, and Mizzou politicians do not wield the power that Iowa's does. There are also big food/ag companies that fund research involved here. Corn and soybeans rule our economy and fund a great deal of research we are talking about here. Does the Big 10 care about Mizzou's journalism program???? Yeah, there is a lot of collaborative research dollars there.:jimlad: Last time I heard, that is a waning industry. The money is in science - medical, computer, certain engineering programs and ag. I have been saying from day one the Big 10 cares about meeting and improving their academic profile first, economics 2nd, and athletics third. Yes, the impetus for this may have been football, but now that the can of worms has been opened, other factors are going to take control - faculty, politicians, donors(monsanto, cargill, etc).

Last edited:

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Wish someone would post this on the other cyclone sites -- expansion is not wholly about new football/basketball conference make-up. This is the real discussion that's going on.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
if anyone thinks academics don't play a part, read this article interview Mizzou faculty where they are worried their US News and Weekly Report ranking of 102 will keep them out, and how they are salivating at the opportunity to improve their academic stature by being in the Big 10. Not to mention how Mizzou feels they are inferior to a school in Ames, IA.

Show-Me? Mizzou feels it has done enough to earn Big Ten invite - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

Also, according to a chair of a very large academic department at a Big 10 school I know, ISU "is" higher on her school's list than the low hanging fruit - Mizzou. Who wants something/somebody when they are begging???? Mizzou's latest barrage into the media is hurting them both in the Big 12 and Big 10. The Big 10 want something that brings a balance of athletics and academics. And athletics are going to be evaluated on a lot of things - graduation rates, for example, are a much bigger factor than many might think. Mizzou may go, but I think there are going to be offers to other schools first, whether or not those schools take that offer, or even make it public, we will never know. I know that the Big 10 is not liking Mizzou's antics right now, and Mizzou politicians do not wield the power that Iowa's does. There are also big food/ag companies that fund research involved here. Corn and soybeans rule our economy and fund a great deal of research we are talking about here. Does the Big 10 care about Mizzou's journalism program???? Yeah, there is a lot of collaborative research dollars there.:jimlad: Last time I heard, that is a waning industry. The money is in science - medical, computer, certain engineering programs and ag. I have been saying from day one the Big 10 cares about meeting and improving their academic profile first, economics 2nd, and athletics third. Yes, the impetus for this may have been football, but now that the can of worms has been opened, other factors are going to take control - faculty, politicians, donors(monsanto, cargill, etc).

Agree with this and a few others on here. While I have no inside knowledge I do beleive there is a lot more to this than it appears and infinetly more complicated than people think it is. There are so many competing interests here....academic, political, corporate, geographical and athletics. All play a role. It isn't as open and shut as Jim Delany saying "Missouri has TV's, give them an invite." Lot of powerful people and organizations involved, anything could happen.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
It does seem kind of odd to me how public Missouri has been chasing this. Would not be surprised at all now to learn that the radio station in KC was fed the invite story by someone in Columbia. I would savor watching Missouri backtrack if the invite never comes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The money is in science - medical, computer, certain engineering programs and ag. I have been saying from day one the Big 10 cares about meeting and improving their academic profile first, economics 2nd, and athletics third.

This is why I still believe Texas and Texas A&M are still being heavily considered for the Big 10 - they are the two top academic and research universities in the Big 12 by far.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not to shift the discussion to another thread, but this is why I firmly believe if the BOR is for what is best for the State, and not just the Hawkeyes, they should put pressure on Mason to support ISU in attempting to join the Big 10. However, it is doubtful either University has enough weight for it to matter.

As posted in another thread, this blogger thinks Chuck Grassley may be one of the few who understand what might keep Big 10 expansion in-line.

"Not Without Iowa Stateâ€
Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley is one of my all-time favorites. He is moderately conservative, fiscally responsible, independently thinking and entertainingly outspoken. He was the Senator who famously suggested that AIG executives should practice seppuku rather than accept taxpayer-funded bonuses. He is also the Senate Finance Committee member who, as chair when the Republicans had control, threatened to remove the tax exemptions of universities that harbor researchers without holding them accountable for conflicts-of-interest between research activities and consulting activities. He has criticized university endowments for hoarding capital in investments rather than spending it for the benefit of students and, of greatest concern, has threatened to tax university athletic departments for engaging in commercial interests inconsistent with their nonprofit missions. Senator Grassley understands the business of universities, and he’s not always been a fan.
Sen. Grassley Speaks on Conflicts and Endowments - Research - The Chronicle of Higher EducationCommercialization in College Sports May Have 'Crossed the Line,' Report Says - Administration - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Were the Big 10 to bypass Iowa State in favor of Texas and, heaven forbid, Nebraska, everyone outside the state of Iowa would understand and accept the rationale as just and reasonable. The Big 10 already has the Hawkeyes. The state of Iowa is a small TV market. The Cyclones have never been all that competitive and do not have a strong athletics brand. Adding Iowa State would dilute the Big 10’s per share payout.
All of that would make sense to anyone other than a five-term Iowa Senator seeking a sixth in 2010 and facing strong competition in both the primary and, if fortunate to pass that test, the general election in November. This is the one guy who harbors the roadmap to the soft spots in the university’s financial underbelly. He has the knowledge at hand, the will to use it, and nothing to lose politically. Perhaps the Big 10 leaders see Iowa State as “Baylor 2010.†Perhaps an intimate knowledge of Senator Grassley has been a large reason why the Big 10 has been slow to act.
The fact that universities are nonprofit organizations chartered to educate, expand knowledge and generally serve society is lost on many college football fans and most sportswriters. Don’t let Jerry Jones desensitize you to the differences between pro sports and college sports just because you paid $9 for a cold draft at the Big 12 championship game. If the universities make revenue maximization the end-game, they will soon find themselves paying corporate income taxes on those profits. Seriously, how many Longhorn fans thought that $5 million gift from DeLoss Dodds to university academics was a generous act? It’s called thinking ahead and seeing the big picture. If/when Senator Grassley starts poking around Belmont Hall, Dodds will show him a check stub.

I thought about this aspect when the talks first began about expansion and how it was all about money. These conferences are walking a fine line here with what they are doing. I also think that this talk of superconferences and a superconference playoff would not be allowed. It would leave too many teams out in the cold. The goverment already looks carefully at the BCS system.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I don't know why everybody wants to be in the Big 10. I see football as a sport that is going more and more towards the warm weather states. Ohio State is the only National Champion not located in a warm weather state since '97. I think recruiting Texas is going to be more and more important. If Mizzou goes to the Big 10 that recruiting will dry up and I think they will struggle greatly .

I know the Big 10 has more money but I see the Pac 10 and Big 12 getting together with a TV contract or actually forming their own conference if these other conferences go to 16 team super-conferences. As a KU fan I would much rather end up in that conference then the Big 10. Of course there's the chance the 4 super conferences actually happened and KU gets left out because of lack of tv's and that would really suck. Hard to say what's going to happen, but if the 4 super conferences would happen they could form their own championships and make tons of money, and that's what makes it a real possibility.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
i dont agree... Rules out Notre Damn? um, why did they offer ND then previously? That already makes tigerhawk just another lost poster when it comes to expansion. im sure he has points, but im sure that research isnt everything.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
People are very naive if they don't think this is sports (mainly football) and TV driven.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
People are very naive if they don't think this is sports (mainly football) and TV driven.

Did you read and think about the OP? And if the answer is yes, why do you not think that matters? TV matters for money, research brings in a lot more money than TV does.

Also, in this kind of situation it is the University Presidents with the final say, not the AD. Which do you think the University president is going to care more about?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

People are very naive if they don't read the first post of this thread and realize that research brings much more money than athletics, or a TV contract, to a university.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I read the first post. It states that Mizzou isn't a major research university and yet the Top American Research Universities 2009 report published by The Center for Measuring University performance had Mizzou ranked ahead of ISU. So how creditable is the first post?

If they were going after the best research universities they could pick some that don't play football at all. You guys don't post on this site because of the great research your university does. Maybe this expansion is geared more toward research than football and tv's. Maybe Penn State just happened to have a good football team when they were picked. Maybe the Big Ten has never had any interest in Notre Dame, it's been rumors for all these years. Maybe all the national columnist are wrong (that really could be a possibility). I really don't want college football to go to 4 super conferences but if the Big 10 ends up with 16 teams I can tell you it won't be because of their research abilities. Now if they end up with an odd number of teams I would be wrong and this whole expansion would have nothing to do with football and TV.

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Never confirmed all the info in Tiggerhawks post that I copied over here from HN.

The general point however is that Academics will be as big, if not bigger, of a factor in the schools that the B10/11 pursues as the potential for $$$ in reseach grants far outweights the $$$ from athletics.

Of course the school will need to offer a well rounded athletics program as well, but that will not be the leading indicator IMO.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I read the first post. It states that Mizzou isn't a major research university and yet the Top American Research Universities 2009 report published by The Center for Measuring University performance had Mizzou ranked ahead of ISU. So how creditable is the first post?
Here's the report. ISU and MU are pretty much tied for 2009 rankings. They have about $12M more in total research spending ($229M vs $217M), but there is more to the rankings than just research spending.

http://mup.asu.edu/research2009.pdf

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I would never think the Big 10 would expand and not consider academics. I just think it would be part of the equation along with football and tv's. If it was only academics they would be after Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Johns Hopkins University and nobody would even know or care about the expansion. The reason we are posting about it right now is because of sports. The reason it has become so newsworthy is because of sports. Just because the AD's don't make the decision, doesn't mean the presidents aren't considering the Big 10 future as a football conference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron