B10/11 expansion...this guy gets it and absolutely nails it on the head

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Collaboration is a MAJOR part of getting research funds. While being in the BT together does not mean universities WILL collaborate and that members of separate conferences won't, it brings a sense of unity to collaboration. ISU fits well within the agriculture and veterinary sciences of Michigan State, Penn State, and IIRC, Purdue.

I'm really surprised you forgot ISU's outstanding Engineering and to a lesser extent Computer and Chemistry programs.

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I'm really surprised you forgot ISU's outstanding Engineering and to a lesser extent Computer and Chemistry programs.

Oh I did not forget about engineering! I recently received my PhD at ISU in engineering and can say that very proudly! You are totally correct and ISU as a whole is very strong in the sciences :notworthy: (as most state school's charter states) but we really do excel!! A federal government DOE lab (Ames Lab) doesn' hurt the reputation of ISU sciences either!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

ISU has a regionally well respected Engineering program, and companies around the Midwest seem to target our undergrads, but our CoE doesn't stand up well against the vast majority of the B10. Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, Michigan, and Illinois all have world-renowned programs.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
ISU has a regionally well respected Engineering program, and companies around the Midwest seem to target our undergrads, but our CoE doesn't stand up well against the vast majority of the B10. Wisconsin, Purdue, MSU, Michigan, and Illinois all have world-renowned programs.

I'm an agricuture major, so admittedly this is not my area of expertise.

I just know I have a brother with an Engineering degree who is doing very well in Louisana and a good college friend with a Chem E degree who is doing very well with Lilly in Indiana.

Last edited:

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

This is why I first mentioned our Ag and Vet Med as strong points as what you mentioned. We do have a good Eng and Sci program (top 20) Vet Med and Ag are top 5.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
This is why I first mentioned our Ag and Vet Med as strong points as what you mentioned. We do have a good Eng and Sci program (top 20) Vet Med and Ag are top 5.

Yup I agree, and the relationship with the DoE is I'm sure very attractive since renewable energy is the new research fad of the day.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I just want to see the National fallout if ISU was selected. Is there any way we could simulate this.

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I just want to see the National fallout if ISU was selected. Is there any way we could simulate this.

Most national pundits would have no idea where it came from. Only those who really know the intricacies of the situation would have an understanding. It would still come as a shock to most.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Good post. But Tiggerhawk has been wrong before.

I would add that if Nebraska is seriously a candidate for the Big Ten, one might imagine Warren Buffet making a substantial contribution to upgrade its research. Same with Missouri, I suppose (and probably Iowa State), that that would be part of any deal.

I do not see Warren Buffet stepping in at all to make a substantial contribution to UNL. Yes, he is a graduate from there but his contributions (37.4 billion dollars to the Gates Charity) go to grander charities and not necessarily one particular school. Buffet is not going to be the T. Boone Pickens of Nebraska athletics just b/c they might be a candidate for the Big Ten.

If you ask, this is my personnel opinion and I do not have any solid evidence backing this and have not spoke to Warren Buffet in person concerning this matter!

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I do not see Warren Buffet stepping in at all to make a substantial contribution to UNL. Yes, he is a graduate from there but his contributions (37.4 billion dollars to the Gates Charity) go to grander charities and not necessarily one particular school. Buffet is not going to be the T. Boone Pickens of Nebraska athletics just b/c they might be a candidate for the Big Ten.

If you ask, this is my personnel opinion and I do not have any solid evidence backing this and have not spoke to Warren Buffet in person concerning this matter!

Nebraska is actually committed to an investment in a multi-purpose research park in the near future.

UNL | Nebraska Innovation Campus | About

IMO, this alone will improve their academic standing enough for Big 10 standards.

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis
2. Mizzou is NOT one. Neither is Nebraska. (Ironically, Iowa State IS).

I stopped reading at this point.

From Mizzou's website

"Research & related expenditures, FY 2009 - $320 million"

From Iowa State's website

"During FY 2009, Iowa State attracted $305.2 million in grants, contracts, gifts and cooperative agreements."

He was a little more accurate with Nebraska.

From Nebraska's website

"Total research funding at UNL increased nearly 13 percent to a record of more than $122 million this year."

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Nebraska is actually committed to an investment in a multi-purpose research park in the near future.

UNL | Nebraska Innovation Campus | About

IMO, this alone will improve their academic standing enough for Big 10 standards.
This is just the new trend in university research parks. Many large schools that don't yet have research parks are building them in this style, rather than strictly office/business/lab space like they used to be in the past. ISU has had its own research park (on Airport Road) for 30 years, and it is rather successful. The fact that UNL has a plan to build one means nothing. For one thing, research parks don't fill up immediately, or even get built all at once. They take 45-50 years on average to reach full build-out and 100% occupancy. Even ISU is just now getting to Phase II of our park. Secondly, just because you have the buildings- or hell, just because you have people in the buildings- doesn't mean that anything worthwhile is going on there. It's like money- just because you have a lot of it doesn't mean you know how to invest it and make it grow.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

From Mizzou's website

"During FY 2009, Iowa State attracted $305.2 million in grants, contracts, gifts and cooperative agreements."

From Nebraska's website

"Total research funding at UNL increased nearly 13 percent to a record of more than $122 million this year."

Two completely different things. You're comparing amount spent and amount in NEW grants and contracts. There's no reason to go after a new grant if you've already got money there. One of the labs I worked for on campus had a $10 million grant from 5 years before I started that they were still working on last time I checked. You want to try finding a number for money SPENT on research by ISU, both the general university and the related institutes and the vet school, before you go saying mizzou spends more on research? Because I don't think they do.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

From Mizzou's website

From Nebraska's website

Uh, those numbers do not mean the same thing. The Missouri one is how much they spent on research, and our number is how much was funded by someone else.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
All right I will bite, anyone got a link for a list of federal research funding? I am looking just haven't found it yet.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

First, while our programs are rated behind those, it DOES stand up with them - we're not the strong research university and AAU member for nothing (I'd have to imagine a lot of our research is in engineering related fields). Second, since we do already have a strong base, being directly affiliated with those other universities that you list would improve our own stock as well. In fact, I believe that if we were admitted to the Big 10, our ranking in the US News and World Report (I think that's the pub) would receive a decent bump upwards as most of those rankings were biased anyway.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I have tried to avoid these conference change threads but I find this one laughable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the various schools in conferences have affiliated themselves with those conferences for athletic purposes...not for research purposes.

Question for those of you that think this conference affiliation discussion is more about academics and research than athletics...do the schools in any conference pool their research budgets and share them in some equitable manner?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I have tried to avoid these conference change threads but I find this one laughable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the various schools in conferences have affiliated themselves with those conferences for athletic purposes...not for research purposes.

Question for those of you that think this conference affiliation discussion is more about academics and research than athletics...do the schools in any conference pool their research budgets and share them in some equitable manner?

Yes, technically, they do share research dollars. If you want to even be considered for a large, multi-million dollar grant it better be applied for as collaborative with one or two peer universities. You will never get the grant if applied for alone...those tend to "lack merit" in the eyes of those awarding the funds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron