Automotive Advice

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Honda's are notorious for timing belt/chain problems. Get it fixed, or get rid of it. Had an 83 that broke a belt and bent the rods at 110K. $1,400 30 years ago. Sold our 2005 Civic at 125k also because we hadn't touched it.

Car repairs are not that hard if you can turn a wrench. BMW dealership wanted close to $600 to replace the gasket on the oil filter housing. Bought the gasket from the dealer for $6.00 and did it myself. I've done most of the repairs. The car now has 200,000 miles and is going strong. Gave that 5 series to our daughter. Love my MB now.
Said BMW didnt happen to be an early 2000's 3 or 5 series with the M54 engine did it? I had an '03 3 series and that oil filter housing gasket hemorrhages oil when it goes bad. What a pain. Still loved the car though.

Shyzkoff

Aug 12, 2016
All Honda engines are interference engines - if the timing belt goes, bad things will happen. Whether you have the dealer do it, shop around for a cheaper option, or do it yourself; it should be done.

I changed one on our old Odyssey a few years ago. It cost me $300 (you'll need a special spanner wrench to get the fly wheel loose) and 7 hours or so. If you're mechanically inclined and have a nice shop/tools, it's doable. $1000 sounds like a decent price otherwise.

The timing belt needs to come off to change the water pump - it's a $40 part and a few minutes to replace while changing the timing belt. Definitely have that changed while it's apart.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I am not one of those "you better use OEM" parts when doing mechanical work unless you have a warranty and you are doing something where if it were to fail the warranty won't cover it since you didn't use OEM. Parts when you take it to a shop will always be double of what you can go to Autozone and pay and a lot of times they buy the same parts from Autozone or whoever, double the price and then charge you $100-130 / hr to fix it. It's a racket
My Ridgeline has 95K on it now and when it turns 100K I'll be doing it myself because I won't spend $1,000 when I can do it for $200 and time spent getting it done.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Gorm

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I am not one of those "you better use OEM" parts when doing mechanical work unless you have a warranty and you are doing something where if it were to fail the warranty won't cover it since you didn't use OEM. Parts when you take it to a shop will always be double of what you can go to Autozone and pay and a lot of times they buy the same parts from Autozone or whoever, double the price and then charge you $100-130 / hr to fix it. It's a racket
My Ridgeline has 95K on it now and when it turns 100K I'll be doing it myself because I won't spend $1,000 when I can do it for $200 and time spent getting it done.

I'm certainly not opposed to aftermarket parts, but after peeking at a few sites when this question came up, for this is strongly recommended to use the OEM belt. It's a pretty important part and has to be exactly to spec. I wouldn't risk $1000-5000 to save $200.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Interesting to read everyone's input. I've had 5 Hondas: 2-CR-V (Chain), 2-Civics (Chain), Accord (Belt). I was always told to replace the belts so I did on the Accord but never have/had the chains on the others replaced and drove 3 of them over 225,000 miles. Currently driving a CR-V with 115,000 and wondering if I got lucky with the others???

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Interesting to read everyone's input. I've had 5 Hondas: 2-CR-V (Chain), 2-Civics (Chain), Accord (Belt). I was always told to replace the belts so I did on the Accord but never have/had the chains on the others replaced and drove 3 of them over 225,000 miles. Currently driving a CR-V with 115,000 and wondering if I got lucky with the others???

You typically don't have to replace chains unless something goes wrong. They're lubricated and will go for a very long time. Belts wear, and they dry out and can crack. Chains will often make noise when they begin to fail....belts just straight up snap and then you're in trouble.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You typically don't have to replace chains unless something goes wrong. They're lubricated and will go for a very long time. Belts wear, and they dry out and can crack. Chains will often make noise when they begin to fail....belts just straight up snap and then you're in trouble.

Correct on the chain front.

My tailgating van is a 2007 Town & Country Limited. (Garaged and No rust! :) ) It has a chain drive for its timing and the Factory Service Manual says that it SHOULD NOT be replaced unless the timing is suspected to be off, or you can hear noise inside the timing cover. The 3.8 is NOT an interface engine, and there is no tensioner. You just pull the chain off with the cam sprocket.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the valuable Cyclone Fanatic input ! I can always count on all of you! Will factor in all of the information, and make a decision soon. Now, back to your regularly scheduled Cyclone Football Kool-Aid drinking! GO ‘CLONES!!! August 31st can’t get here soon enough!

Reactions: Acylum and Trice

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Not true:

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91