At what point...

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
That's nice.

Is the ISU roster filled with CMC's players yet? No. Are there deficiencies with the roster that was left for him in his first year? Enormous ones.

So if ISU is lacking in areas that it takes to win, especially the offensive line (especially when it comes to run blocking) and the defensive front 7, would you like to explain to me in pinpoint detail how you can possibly fairly judge and critique whether CMC is doing his job well based on his very first game in his very first season here? That's right - you can't. Because when ALL of the cards are laid out on the table, your whiny ******** makes absolutely zero sense.

Don't even talk to me about how "well" CMC is doing his job until the end of year three when he actually has coached a full year where the majority of the roster is his players.
If you would go back and read my earlier comments on the thread, you'd notice that I'm not refrencing Campbell. Obviously this roster isn't his fault and I don't blame him at all. I'm just posing the question: At what point is Jamie Pollard accountable for failed coaching hires? He's had two fails already. Hypothetically, if Campbell doesn't work out, should pollard be done?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The bottom line is that if everyone had listened to me and we had gotten rid of CPR a year earlier we'd be in year 2 of this build (I refuse to call it a rebuild) and we probably don't lose to UNI again. And when the time comes and if Campbell isn't producing there shouldn't be any of this whole "he deserves another year, let's see what he can do this recruiting class from 4 years ago was his best and they're all Sr's now." crap. That's hack media stuff brought to you by the ISU AD.

I'm with you that Rhoads should have been gone a year earlier, but the only saving grace I find in him staying another year is that it might have helped us get Campbell. I still believe Campbell will get it done, but it is a steep mountain as the UNI game showed us.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
The point is if he has gotten people's dream choice most times and it still isn't working out maybe that says more about the job than the coaches.
To be fair, a dream choice would be Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, not Rhoads, Chizik or Campbell. It's not impossible to win in Ames, it just seems like that since no one has done it consistently. Ames is no different than Lincoln, NE or Manhattan, KS.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To be fair, a dream choice would be Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, not Rhoads, Chizik or Campbell. It's not impossible to win in Ames, it just seems like that since no one has done it consistently. Ames is no different than Lincoln, NE or Manhattan, KS.

Once the league expands it will be better. But it is damn near impossible for us to win in this current league format.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Look at KState though. How many coaches have even won at all there. 1 in their hundred years or so of football. Mind you he's been there a long time but they've still only found one coach and when he tried to retire they started to go down the crapper immediately.

I wouldn't be sad if JP left because I think he's done about all he can here but there is no way we should be thinking about firing him.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
UNI's team might be even younger than ours. We always have excuses every year.

I still didn't see anything different with our offense on Saturday than I've seen for the last 5-6 years. No use of TE, actually Rhoads used the TE more than we did Saturday. No short passing game, slants, hooks, quick sideline out patterns, screens, etc. Just bombs down the sideline once in a while. We threw one deep post to Lazard for about 30 yds, but never saw that again all night.

Just read option most of the night. I never once saw us beat a UNI blitz with a dump off pass over the middle. Just the same old crap we've seen forever here.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and Macloney

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Heck, if we're throwing in conference games, the 2013 Baylor game where we got creamed 71-7 was worse than this. That was some kind of negative record, but I'm not sure what...largest margin of defeat?

That was the night I decided Rhoads should go. Too bad it took JP so long to realize it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Rhoads didn't say much towards the end that I liked, but he did say one thing I think is fairly true. It's never as good or as bad as it seems. They can clean things up and still show growth. Everyone knew this was the most likely outcome.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
Do we blame JP

Good G-- people! Our coach has been here less than a year. He's playing with a team made up of the result of at least four years of subpar recruiting. Campos is the only O-line that has been recruited in recent years that is true B12 quality. and he's on the bench. You expected a white night with a magic sword to come swooping down and turn it all around and it didn't happen. Let's give our new coach at least a year before starting to call for heads on a platter.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The bottom line is that if everyone had listened to me and we had gotten rid of CPR a year earlier we'd be in year 2 of this build (I refuse to call it a rebuild) and we probably don't lose to UNI again. And when the time comes and if Campbell isn't producing there shouldn't be any of this whole "he deserves another year, let's see what he can do this recruiting class from 4 years ago was his best and they're all Sr's now." crap. That's hack media stuff brought to you by the ISU AD.

I agree in year 4, campbell should be on the plus side of Wins and Losses....If NOT its time for a New Replacement Coach imho

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JP hired CMC. CMC is a professional head coach and should be able to hire his staff.

And like every other coach, if his hires don't perform, Campbell will lose his job.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Not much Campbell can do with the players on this team. Im pissed but its not his fault, if this is the same team 2 years from now. Just bulldoze the stadium and build a super basketball arena.

No just take the big 12 money still play bad football and put that cash into becoming elite in hoops. Look at Kentucky

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Remember when alot of the idiots on here thought Tom Herman sucked? Well that's how much most of you don't have a ******* clue. So stfu already. Jfc

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Look at KState though. How many coaches have even won at all there. 1 in their hundred years or so of football. Mind you he's been there a long time but they've still only found one coach and when he tried to retire they started to go down the crapper immediately.

I wouldn't be sad if JP left because I think he's done about all he can here but there is no way we should be thinking about firing him.
Fair point, but that's only one school. There are plenty of schools in less advantaged areas that've won before. Nebraska won multiple championships and still wins 8-10 games per year regularly. Heck, just drive 2 hours east of Ames and you'll find a program that has a handful of bcs game appearances and top 10 finishes to the season.

I don't think we're that far away from 7-8 wins a year. Even last year, we were a small number of plays from 7 wins.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Fair point, but that's only one school. There are plenty of schools in less advantaged areas that've won before. Nebraska won multiple championships and still wins 8-10 games per year regularly. Heck, just drive 2 hours east of Ames and you'll find a program that has a handful of bcs game appearances and top 10 finishes to the season.

I don't think we're that far away from 7-8 wins a year. Even last year, we were a small number of plays from 7 wins.
Our guy is out there to build us to that but it isn't like it is an easy thing. I think Rhoads could have been our guy but the change to playing everyone killed his chance to build that. I'd like to think Campbell can now do it but we will have to wait and see.