Article concerning ISU recruiting NYC

krustysponge

Apr 29, 2009
crapland
Fred Hoiberg has been placed on this earth by the sport gods as an apology for all the bad things they've done to Iowa State in the past.

He is our savior.

Hi,

I'm Fred Hoiberg, you may know me such films as 'I've never coached before but I've got all the NBA GM's on speed dial,' or 'I've been coached by Johnny Orr, Tim Floyd, Larry's Bird and Brown, Kevin McHale, and the Offensive Genius Flip Saunders.' Come play for me
because I'm making my newest 'The Mayor - Because I CAN do it!'

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
you can't? I always like to use MSU as an example, they can run up and down the court with anyone most nights, but there are also nights when your playing a better team, or the shots just aren't falling. In these times MSU slows it down and makes it a dog fight. Also, the best way to start a fast break, steals and rebounds, how do you do that? play great defense. To say you can't do both is pretty short sighted.

To go along with CIMD's comment..."he who attempts to be a master of all will be a master of nothing"- there are only so many minutes in a practice and so many practices in a year. You have to decide a few things that you are going to focus on and try to be great at, and I don't think that can be more than 3 things.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Talk to any coach and they'll tell you the same thing. A true run and gun team (Suns, Knicks, Grinnell, etc..) requires a large amount of possesions every game. A true defensive team attempts to limit the other team in terms of # of possessions. If a team's only goal is to force turnovers, it will get beat, too, thus making it not a "true" defensive team. A true defensive team must value the ball on the offensive end, because it, too, has a limited number of possessions if it does its job right.

I realize cyismydog is a young'n but son you're treading really close to Todd Lickliter territory.

The, what I consider to be, infamous quote about the Hawkeyes losing because they had "too many" possessions. WTF coach, you can have all the possessions in the world. You can control the backboards, take the ball away from the other team, take advantage of opportunities to score easy hoops, etc.

That's just a hugely roundabout way of saying my players have little offensive OR DEFENSIVE skills and our only hope is to induce the other team to fall asleep and maybe we can pitch in a three-pointer in the last minute and steal the game.

"limited number of possessions if it does its job right"=WE SUCK

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I realize cyismydog is a young'n but son you're treading really close to Todd Lickliter territory.

The, what I consider to be, infamous quote about the Hawkeyes losing because they had "too many" possessions. WTF coach, you can have all the possessions in the world. You can control the backboards, take the ball away from the other team, take advantage of opportunities to score easy hoops, etc.

That's just a hugely roundabout way of saying my players have little offensive OR DEFENSIVE skills and our only hope is to induce the other team to fall asleep and maybe we can pitch in a three-pointer in the last minute and steal the game.

"limited number of possessions if it does its job right"=WE SUCK

:eek: A GREAT defensive team doesn't allow the other team many looks at the basket. Ask any coach what their favorite forced turnover is, and there's a pretty good chance it is a shot clock violation or a five second call. Besides, Lickliter is actually a very good 'basketball' coach, he just couldn't recruit at all.