Apple’s virtual reality for $3499

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
This thing look ******* stupid for consumers, but probably very impressive for certain professional applications. The part of the video where the dad has the giant goggles on watching his daughter open presents made me crack up.
I laughed when they said you won't be isolated from others in the room. You're wearing scuba goggles so you are kind of isolating yourself. This does seem pretty awesome though

• Agree
Reactions: Beernuts

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
So you guys are going to sit around with those googles on all day? I just can’t see doing that. Maybe I’m wrong

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don’t want to wear these things on my head. I find it annoying.

Edit: Let me expand on this. There are two things really holding this technology back. One, is the wearing a bit thing on your head. That is a huge issue whether people want to admit it or not. My son has a Quest, and I don't think I've worn it for more than 15 minutes at a time, ever. I'll play 1 or 2 games of Beat Saber then I'm out.

Two, people second screen and are constantly doing other things at the same time. I have 3 kids. If I want to eat a piece of candy I have to hide in my pantry in the dark and wolf it down before somebody sees me. The odds that I'm going to sit down for 2 hours and watch a movie in one of these things completely isolated from everything happening in my house is basically zero. When I watch TV, I'm almost always doing dishes, folding clothes, doing something like that.

Never spend money in frivolity eh?

This is 3,500 dollars. That's probably about as much as my car is worth. 3.5k is is significant amount of money for probably 80-90% of Americans.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Literature has been doing that since the 4th century, B.C.

giphy.webp

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I remember growing up and my parents telling me not to sit so close to the screen. Now i get to wear the screen next to my eyes. 7-year-old me would be so excited.

Reactions: Cycsk

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
10 times the cost of Occulus 2.
My son has an iphone and there's always something wrong with it. The rep at T-Mobile said it's an apple issue. She didn't have many good things to say about apple products.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
10 times the cost of Occulus 2.
My son has an iphone and there's always something wrong with it. The rep at T-Mobile said it's an apple issue. She didn't have many good things to say about apple products.
That’s not even a real comparison. Even the oculus pro at $999 isn’t really.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Would be interesting to see an application for driving, especially at night, with this technology. I hate driving at night in the Midwest with the ****** roads and faded lines and no reflection paint. Add in any amount of rain and it gets more dangerous than it needs to be.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Imagine pay $20 to sit at the 50 yard line of the Jack from the comfort of your couch.

This is that jump, it’s expensive and most can’t afford it yet. But the $1000 iPhone was expensive too and now half the US has it.

The professional applications are endless. The accessibility of it is endless.

I am not buy one yet. But I can see the appeal of it in so many different ways.

Reactions: CYedUp

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Imagine pay $20 to sit at the 50 yard line of the Jack from the comfort of your couch.

This is that jump, it’s expensive and most can’t afford it yet. But the $1000 iPhone was expensive too and now half the US has it.

Wearing a VR headset for 3+ hours does not sound fun. Maybe this one will be different, but I haven’t used one that doesn’t get tiring after an hour.

The tech in this thing is unbelievable, and it’s going to push boundaries in many ways. Maybe I’m just not a visionary though, because I can’t picture a world where people are going to be walking around wearing these things to augment reality.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Wearing a VR headset for 3+ hours does not sound fun. Maybe this one will be different, but I haven’t used one that doesn’t get tiring after an hour.

The tech in this thing is unbelievable, and it’s going to push boundaries in many ways. Maybe I’m just not a visionary though, because I can’t picture a world where people are going to be walking around wearing these things to augment reality.
Doesn't seem portable enough to use outside a focused situation. I could see a cool application for exploring new places, but you won't want to wear it walking around a metro downtown. At home, at work/desk, on a plane, sure. But not just for "routine" day-to-day stuff.

Then again, maybe this will be the next "Segway tour."

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I agree with Jeremy and others, this is just the beginning of the next digital revolution. I think everyone expects Apple to knock things out of the park with every new product release and sell millions of units right off the bat. But the comparisons to the first iPhone are endless.

iPhone was “too expensive”. Didn’t matter.

People already have MP3 players and/or Blackberries that do what the iPhone does. Whomp whomp.

iPhone users look stupid while looking at their phone all day. Look who’s laughing now.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I agree with Jeremy and others, this is just the beginning of the next digital revolution. I think everyone expects Apple to knock things out of the park with every new product release and sell millions of units right off the bat. But the comparisons to the first iPhone are endless.

iPhone was “too expensive”. Didn’t matter.

People already have MP3 players and/or Blackberries that do what the iPhone does. Whomp whomp.

iPhone users look stupid while looking at their phone all day. Look who’s laughing now.
The first iPhone was like $500 though, not $3500.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
From the reviews I have seen these seem like they have really amazing image. I could see VR sports tickets being kind of cool for something like this. Pay like 15-20 bucks for court side tickets to cyclone games :). I could see this being really big for Pro sports as an option.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

People get their phones subsidized through their plans. If people had to pay 1,000 every time out of their pocket there would be a lot fewer iPhones out there.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I question the utility myself. I have a Quest and have really enjoyed it, but the fact is its not fun to sit around with that thing strapped to your head for very long. This certainly looks much more comfortable, but it still amounts to a large pair of goggles and I still think you are going to have the same problem. Eventually I think they will get devices like these to be as innocuous as glasses and then I think they will have great utility, but until then I'm not sold on them being something the average person uses for more than occasional entertainment.
The utility for frequent fliers is pretty big. There's plenty of things I do for work that I'd be uncomfortable having open on a screen in public areas, particularly around PHI and some extra stiff guidelines with VA and DoD information.

Even less sensitive things like watching movies on a flight that have some nudity or other raunchy scenes.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The utility for frequent fliers is pretty big. There's plenty of things I do for work that I'd be uncomfortable having open on a screen in public areas, particularly around PHI and some extra stiff guidelines with VA and DoD information.

Even less sensitive things like watching movies on a flight that have some nudity or other raunchy scenes.
Sometimes you just want to watch the new Bangbros video on the plane.

Help Support Us

Become a patron