Anyone want to Buy a Race Track?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I use to go cruise all 5 stores in the Newton mall back in the day. Had a pretty good store with a decent selection of cds and vhs. Then maybe go get some 31 flavors outside the Wal Mart. Catch a drive in movie or go roller skating at the rink. Get some Giovannis pizza. Still wonder why in the hell there was a billboard advertising for the House on the Rock along highway 6. Good times. I haven't driven through the actual town of Newton in decades.
On-Cue. I spent millions of dollars there.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I personally think state cross country should be on the ISU course.

Kennedy Park does lay out really, really well for fans however. Logistics suck but I'm guessing that's an issue just about anywhere when there's that many races/teams/individuals.

problem with state xc in ames is if there a home football game that weekend its almost impossible with parking/hotels/traffic.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I like racing. No desire to promote races. I really don't even enjoy watching races if I am not participating. I know that sounds weird.

NASCAR is running Bristol on dirt next year and I think it will be a success.

If only central Iowa had some dirt racing they could use as a historical story line .....

Maybe try to get Newton out in front of a limited race type, like a road course?

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
IAHSAA/IGHSAU should buy it and use it for every outdoor state championship event

Im kidding - but i've said for years that state xc there would be actually be a decent spot

It's been years since I've been at the Iowa Speedway but from a running perspective I don't think it'd be enjoyable.

I personally think state cross country should be on the ISU course.

Kennedy Park does lay out really, really well for fans however. Logistics suck but I'm guessing that's an issue just about anywhere when there's that many races/teams/individuals.

The ISU course was the toughest on the schedule, at least of the central Iowa courses I ran in high school. Maybe that's what you want from your state meet but I think an argument could be made that something more towards the mean is better. That long hill is just brutal.

Definitely biased as I went to school in Fort Dodge but I like Kennedy course quite a bit, though I never ran my season's fastest times there.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I use to go cruise all 5 stores in the Newton mall back in the day. Had a pretty good store with a decent selection of cds and vhs. Then maybe go get some 31 flavors outside the Wal Mart. Catch a drive in movie or go roller skating at the rink. Get some Giovannis pizza. Still wonder why in the hell there was a billboard advertising for the House on the Rock along highway 6. Good times. I haven't driven through the actual town of Newton in decades.

There used to be one on Hwy 34 near Ottumwa, too.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I don't know anything about racing but why aren't there set tracks used each year? Do people build tracks in the hopes of a race? Wasn't the speedway supposed to be this great booster?

Last thing I heard of car racing was in like 2007 so trust me when I say I don't know the logistics of it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They should have been using the Speedway for large outdoor concerts when no races were going on.

The Metallica concert there was pretty awesome.

Help Support Us

Become a patron