Anyone care to share any VEISHEA Memories?

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Memories from VEISHEA '92:

1) Having a laid-back party at my house with a bunch of friends
2) Hearing the sounds of a boisterous crowd in Campustown waft into my open window
3) Walking down to Welch Ave with some friends to see what all the commotion was about
4) Seeing thousands of drunk students lining either side of Welch, shout "Tastes great!" and "Less filling!"
5) Listening as the chants of the crowd morph into a steady mantra of "Riot! Riot! Riot!"
6) Watching a woefully understaffed group of police officers feebly attempt to stem the tide as students storm the streets of Campustown
7) Seeing a contingent of police in full riot gear arrive on the scene and march in lock-step down Welch Ave
8) Saying to my friends, "Umm, let's get out of here before we get mixed up in this mess!"
9) Sitting in my room, back at my house, listening to the sounds of an escalating riot in Campustown
10) Catching a faint whif of tear gas through my open window, some 4 or 5 blocks off of Welch
11) Watching the national news the next day, and seeing footage of riots in Ames, Iowa, lumped in with reporting of riots in other cities following the Rodney King verdicts
12) Getting a call from my grandmother to make sure I was okay after she saw on the national news that the city of Ames had been "burned to the ground" (as she put it)

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
well Saliva kicked @$$ last night

I'm going to guess your talking about the band instead of the exchange of bodily fluids with the young lady (who shall remain nameless) your currently seeing. Although 1 kiss from her would make you positively goofy...:rofl8yi:

Happy VEISHEA cmoore!!

A liberal

Jan 15, 2007
Campus
Wow moshing was so fun last night. I've never been one for rock/screamo and moshing, but damn that was fun. Hopefully tonight for Mike Jones it'll be rockin, but I'm not a huge fan of his music.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
This is my first Veishea....I just hope I don't get arrested.

Wow moshing was so fun last night. I've never been one for rock/screamo and moshing, but damn that was fun. Hopefully tonight for Mike Jones it'll be rockin, but I'm not a huge fan of his music.

Glad to see you didn't get arrested Friday night/Saturday morning. :laugh8kb:

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Met my wife at a party during VEISHEA 2001, concevied our first kid last year. Good times. I missed most of them while I was in school since the national paintball tournament always seemed to land on the same weekend as VEISHEA so I was in Chicago or Orlando while it was going on.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I still have a "souvenir" spent canister of tear gas from that one! Makes a great paperweight and conversation starter.
Nice little souvenir from one of the more ignominious moments in VEISHEA history. I'd love to hear one of those conversation spawned by the canister... "Nice paper weight, where'd you get it?" -- "Oh, that's from when I got tear-gassed by the police..." :laugh8kb:

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Met my wife at a party during VEISHEA 2001, concevied our first kid last year. Good times. I missed most of them while I was in school since the national paintball tournament always seemed to land on the same weekend as VEISHEA so I was in Chicago or Orlando while it was going on.
You didn't do anything rash like name your first-born child "Veishea," did you? :wink0st:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I thought he said he conceived his first kid at the Veishea party in 2001.

I thought that too... As I read his post, I was like "huh, interesting. I wonder how he didn't know he had a wife before VEISHEA; then when he first meets her, they conceive a child. Must have been a magical weekend."

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Oh, and I have a VEISHEA memory from last night! I passed out in the MU from 10-12, then walked to the pancake feed, got some pancakes, sat down, decided that was a good place to crack a beer, then a cop came up and made me pour it out. That was the real tragedy of the night. Then, when I got home, I fell into the wall, and now I have a 3 inch gash on my forehead, as well as a baseball sized lump. Good time. Oh, and when I pointed out to my friend that I could see her nipple at the bar, she slapped me. It was worth the slap to see that nip though!

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Oh, and I have a VEISHEA memory from last night! I passed out in the MU from 10-12, then walked to the pancake feed, got some pancakes, sat down, decided that was a good place to crack a beer, then a cop came up and made me pour it out. That was the real tragedy of the night. Then, when I got home, I fell into the wall, and now I have a 3 inch gash on my forehead, as well as a baseball sized lump. Good time. Oh, and when I pointed out to my friend that I could see her nipple at the bar, she slapped me. It was worth the slap to see that nip though!
You should have told her you were doing her a favor, like when a friend points out to another friend that they have something caught in their teeth. :sweet:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Oh, and when I pointed out to my friend that I could see her nipple at the bar, she slapped me. It was worth the slap to see that nip though!

Like Jason said in the movie Mean Girls:

"It doesn't count unless you see nipple"

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
My biggest memory of VEISHEA was witnessing the '92 riots from conception to end.

There was a HUGE party at the Adalante house on Welch that the cops broke up because there were too many people and made them leave which dumped everyone out on Welch. It started with a couple of people crossing the street in front of cars to see if they could see how close they would get to the cars before they would stop. This turned into a game for others and they just stood in the middle of Welch which stopped traffic. Then everyone looked around as if to say "now what?". Then someone started chanting "all the way to Lincoln way!" and started moving towards Lincoln way. Others heard this as it became louder and people were pouring in from surrounding houses and it grew exponentially in size very quickly. Once down to the corner of Lincoln Way and Welch people started flipping cars and breaking windows. Then people starting chanting "All the way to Jiscke's house." They marched down to his house and were about to storm his house when somebody ran out of Old RCA dorms spraying a fire extinguisher yelling "tear gas" and this turned everyone back. This ultimately saved the Presidents house. Then they turned back and headed to Lincoln Way and Welch where after while was broken up with the REAL tear gas.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
SlyCy, great account of the riot! Things weren't quite at the riot stage when I got to Welch Ave, but you could tell it was only a matter of time. Police were standing on either side of Welch, trying to keep the crowds from running into the middle of the street. Every minute or so, someone would goad the police by making a dash across Welch (usually in front of a passing car) -- to the delight of the cheering crowd. All of the sudden, like water flowing from a dam break, the crowd surged into the middle of Welch, and the small handful of police were powerless to stop it. I didn't venture as far north as Lincoln to see the action there, but there were plenty of people trying to climb the light polls around the QT. I made it back to my house before the tear gas, but I could hear the "festivities" well into the early morning hours.

The thing that still astonishes me is that everyone on campus KNEW there were going to be riots during VEISHEA, even a few days before it happened. There was a buzz around campus. People were talking about it as if it were a foregone conclusion that riots were going to happen. It was the first time since the riots of '88 that the weather was really conducive to having large crowds outside. Then, as if to incite the students, the Daily ran a few articles the day before VEISHEA about the riots of '88. To make matters worse, one of the Daily columnists wrote a column almost lamenting the fact that nothing worth talking about had happened at VEISHEA during the years following the '88 riots. Not 24 hours later, the Campus had something to talk about, all right. And the talking spread all the way to the national news!

In a perverse way, it was kind of cool to have been there for such a legendary moment in ISU history. But I'm glad they've taken steps to get VEISHEA back on the right foot. It's too important of a tradition to let a few unfortunate episodes of hooliganism ruin it for future generations of students.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron