Any WWII buffs out there?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I've always been interested in history but I would say over the last year I've almost become obsessed with WWII. Been through "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" multiple times. Also "WWII in HD" and recently watched "Downfall." I'm currently reading Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day."

What are some other great WWII films and books that you have read?

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
I've always been interested in history but I would say over the last year I've almost become obsessed with WWII. Been through "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" multiple times. Also "WWII in HD" and recently watched "Downfall." I'm currently reading Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day."

What are some other great WWII films and books that you have read?

You bet!

Patton is a classic. The Big Red 1 is pretty decent as well.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Books:

With the Old Breed

Patton: War as I Knew It

Winston Churchill: The Second World War (6 volumes)

Just downloaded the Winston Churchill series to my Kindle. Easily one of the most interesting series on WWII. I haven't read it for about 20 years, and I'm really looking forward to it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Second-World-War-Six-Boxed/dp/039541685X

Last edited:

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
The World War II in Color series on the Military Channel was pretty cool, not because it was in color, but because it was pretty comprehensive in its coverage. It did a good job of "filling in the blanks" around the more well-known events covered by Band of Brothers and the Pacific series.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
More underrated movies (mostly older ones):
A Bridge Too Far (see how many of the actors you recognize)
Cross of Iron (got to have Peckinpah in there)
The Winter War (subtitled - Finnish)

For a book: Panzer Commander (a German commander's viewpoint)

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I didn't get to see all of it but the parts of "The War" by Ken Burns was pretty good.

I still enjoy watching "The World At War" mini series from the 70's. My grandpa flew planes in the pacific and we would watch these shows on their VCR after fishing in the morning at their house on Table Rock Lake when I was a kid in the 80's. Not as much of the action footage as some of the newer documentaries but I enjoy listening to the interviews of the people that were at the battles they talked about. The most interesting ones are some of the guys that were former officers in the French, British, and Polish armies openly talking about how unprepared and basically a joke most of the European armed forces were and how they felt during some of those major defeats to the Germans.

You've already read the books that I have so I can't make any recs on that. Will have to check in to the ones some others have listed.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
BBC has a 30 hour documentary on WWII that's pretty good.

I didn't have much interest in WWII until I started doing some research for a trip i was taking to France 2 years ago. Spent a couple of days in the Normandy region and it was amazing. I'd highly recommend a trip to Normandy. Once you pay for the flight the actual expense isn't anymore than a normal U.S. vacation.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
When Trumpets Fade.

I really enjoyed that movie. I don't think it hit theaters when it came out. A good WWI movie is "The Lost Battalion" .

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
The World War II in Color series on the Military Channel was pretty cool, not because it was in color, but because it was pretty comprehensive in its coverage. It did a good job of "filling in the blanks" around the more well-known events covered by Band of Brothers and the Pacific series.

Forgot about these. Loved watching these.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Ken Burns "The War".
If you are a WWII buff, you must watch it. Absolutely, positively, without a doubt.
It's fantastic.

p.s. I am a documentary fanatic. Big time. And "The War" is one of my favorites. So good.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Check out these books;

In Harms Way

About the sinking and rescue of the USS Indianapolis

Utmost Savagery
About Second Marine Division at Tarawa

and for a glimpse into the formation of the great Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Attacks by Erwin Rommel
Recounts Rommel's WWI exploits as a platoon commander

In the movie Patton, Gen. George Patton (George C. Scott) famously shouts "I read your book"!!! (talking about Rommel). This is that book.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Ken Burns "The War".
If you are a WWII buff, you must watch it. Absolutely, positively, without a doubt.
It's fantastic.

p.s. I am a documentary fanatic. Big time. And "The War" is one of my favorites. So good.
I don't know how I could have forgotten to mention it, but yes I did watch the entire documentary. FYI for anyone interested that entire series is available streaming from Netflix. And some of the people "The War" follows are portrayed in "The Pacific."

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I don't know how I could have forgotten to mention it, but yes I did watch the entire documentary. FYI for anyone interested that entire series is available streaming from Netflix. And some of the people "The War" follows are portrayed in "The Pacific."

Well now I know what my nights will consist of once the kids go to bed for awhile.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I'm certain that both have some basis in "With the Old Breed". Absolutely brutal account of the war in the Pacific.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Death Traps by Belton Cooper of the 3rd Amored Division

All of the following are by Donald Burgett
Currahee!
Seven Roads to Hell
The Rhoad to Arnhem
Beyond the Rhine

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

If you Survive by George Wilson

Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
When you think about the tremendous loss of life that occurred in WWI and WWII it is staggering. Really makes you think about the sacrifices of those two generations. I don't think we could stand for it as a nation anymore unless we were on the brink of total annhilation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron