Anxiety For A Freshman

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Senior in high school, just got accepted to ISU, but had a small panic attack because I'm nervous about college.

Anyway, to help calm my nerves, had some questions for some alumni and current students.

I applied to the College of Liberal Arts, but am now thinking I want to do Business, does this really matter or should I contact someone to change this?

What's better for your standard dorms, Friley or Mape-Willow-Larch? A relative that went through ISU said that he liked Friley and had friends that hated MWL, but wanted some more opinions.

Are on campus jobs really flexible (Hoping to get off sporting events, weekends, and holidays)?

With a school and job, will I even have time to go to sports games?

Does it cost extra to do intramural sports?

If you have anything else that you'd like to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Thank You.

Here are my two cents.

Don't work in the mail room. Terrible job. Get a job you can study at.

If you are sort undecided on what you want to do later, a business degree is a good idea. Accounting(I recruit for Finance and Accounting) is always a major you will get a job in. If you want Finance dual major with Accounting or wait until Grad School. Keep your GPA above 3.3.

If you have a particular interest like Programming, Acting, Photography or something minor in it. Enjoy College, don't take it too seriously, but treat it as a full time job and something you are going to get the most out of you can.

I spent my time boozin' and floozin' not realizing there was plenty of time for that after College when you have cash. I wish I had gotten more out of my classes at ISU, God knows I couldn't have partied much more.

Good luck!

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Senior in high school, just got accepted to ISU, but had a small panic attack because I'm nervous about college.

Anyway, to help calm my nerves, had some questions for some alumni and current students.

I applied to the College of Liberal Arts, but am now thinking I want to do Business, does this really matter or should I contact someone to change this?

What's better for your standard dorms, Friley or Mape-Willow-Larch? A relative that went through ISU said that he liked Friley and had friends that hated MWL, but wanted some more opinions.

Are on campus jobs really flexible (Hoping to get off sporting events, weekends, and holidays)?

With a school and job, will I even have time to go to sports games?

Does it cost extra to do intramural sports?

If you have anything else that you'd like to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Thank You.

Relax. Be flexible. Don't like a major-change it, don't like a dorm-move. You are headed for the greatest time of your life. It's not meant to be torture, it's designed to be fun, exciting, full of opportunity, personal growth, etc.

I spent 5 years at ISU (engineering). When I graduated I thought to myself, hmmm this is too much fun how can I hang around a bit longer. So I went to my advisor and floated the idea past him of going to graduate school. He said naw-go out there and start making some money. Well, OK, if I have to.

There is nothing about going to Iowa State that should cause an anxiety attack.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Relax. Be flexible. Don't like a major-change it, don't like a dorm-move. You are headed for the greatest time of your life. It's not meant to be torture, it's designed to be fun, exciting, full of opportunity, personal growth, etc.

I spent 5 years at ISU (engineering). When I graduated I thought to myself, hmmm this is too much fun how can I hang around a bit longer. So I went to my advisor and floated the idea past him of going to graduate school. He said naw-go out there and start making some money. Well, OK, if I have to.

There is nothing about going to Iowa State that should cause an anxiety attack.

Yeah...I experienced my first anxiety attack when I realized my time in Ames was coming to an end. There is plenty of time for anxiety, and your freshman year isn't it...yet.

As I mentioned before (and others have as well) don't slack on you Gen Ed courses, play intramurals, go to games/support your school, don't ignore the fatties, enjoy it.

Oh...congratulations in joining the greatest "family" on the planet.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Yeah...I experienced my first anxiety attack when I realized my time in Ames was coming to an end. There is plenty of time for anxiety, and your freshman year isn't it...yet.

As I mentioned before (and others have as well) don't slack on you Gen Ed courses, play intramurals, go to games/support your school, don't ignore the fatties, enjoy it.

Oh...congratulations in joining the greatest "family" on the planet.

chuckle...good one!

Side note: "Cool Hand Luke" is one of my favorite all-time movies.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Better a business major than history or American Indian Studies...

ncb_a_ejim_412x232.jpg

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
History major would be interesting, but the last few graduates I know of that program are living at home and working for **** poor wage. Melvin Ejim doesn't count.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Don't be afraid of getting involved in stuff. There are a thousand-and-one different clubs to join (so pay attention when they have the club fest thing at the Memorial Union at the start of the school year). If you're worried about working and finding time for everything else, try to find an on-campus job in an office or department that is only open weekdays until 5. That way you'll never have to worry about working late or on weekends and missing opportunities for studying, athletics, or fun.

It comes down to this: college is what YOU make of it. If you sit on your ***** and don't do anything, you have no one but yourself to blame. If you seek out fun and adventure whenever you are able, you won't ever be sorry for giving something a shot, even if it wasn't really your thing.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
If you're going liberal arts your hosed.....find a real major.

Join a Greek house it will help with your awkwardness although they will give you a lot more anxiety the first semester, but after that you'll be glad you did if you mentally tough enough to handle it, if not you may just want to get a low stress union job.........Finally drink Whiskey beer is for P*$$!@$

iastatehunter

Jul 28, 2013
I would recommend going into business over liberal arts. But do what will make you happy. I'm an accounting and finance double major and have had more offers extended to me than I could have imagined when I first started.

SmellyTP

Feb 28, 2014
Awesome advice, didn't expect so much. Thank you. However, I now know that I am switching from Liberal Arts to Business. Is this something I should just wait to do or do it now and get it over with?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Awesome advice, didn't expect so much. Thank you. However, I now know that I am switching from Liberal Arts to Business. Is this something I should just wait to do or do it now and get it over with?
Just do it at orientation or whenever you sign up for classes.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
History major would be interesting, but the last few graduates I know of that program are living at home and working for **** poor wage. Melvin Ejim doesn't count.

Cannot requote this enough... A bachelors in history or anthropology will land you a job that pays 30k right out of college unless you get into the national park system. Most small non profits historical societies are not well funded and you are looking at $25k a year for your first job. It took me 5 years to get to $50k and that was with an MA in history and using the degree to get into the non profit market only to switch over to a non profit that did require my degree but only wanted the experience gained after graduation. Graduated in 2009, just accepted a position that pays $50,400 that starts in November. There are perks (especially student loan forgiveness related perks) but unless you get an internship at a large non profit you are going to be starting from the bottom. And the non profit field is not really one that people retire at early so the good jobs take some time to get into. Try to get into the Fed if you go history... otherwise don't waste your time with that degree. All it will do is knock of "requires a bachelors degree" on applications, and there are $10 an hour bank teller positions now a day with that requirement.

Your degree shouldn't be completely about money you should enjoy it (I'd have stayed in engineering if I was only about money) but you also have to think on a 10 year plan of where you want to be.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
If you are not sure what you want to major in, DO NOT worry about that yet. Most freshmen either 1) do not really know what they want to do, or 2) end up changing their major mid-stream.

You are going to love college. As a professor I can tell you this with absolute certainty: If you go to class, listen, take notes, and do your homework and reading assignments, you will be ahead of most of your fellow students and you will get good grades in most of your classes.

SmellyTP

Feb 28, 2014
Alright. This is seriously awesome advice did not expect.

One friend swears by Friley, one swears by MWL? Which is better? Not looking to party every night but maybe go to one here and there. Which is closer to GenEds?

Finally (sorry for the multitude of questions), how bad are the community crappers? I mean, I hear they're bad, but what am I getting myself into here?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Alright. This is seriously awesome advice did not expect.

One friend swears by Friley, one swears by MWL? Which is better? Not looking to party every night but maybe go to one here and there. Which is closer to GenEds?

Finally (sorry for the multitude of questions), how bad are the community crappers? I mean, I hear they're bad, but what am I getting myself into here?

If I could go back, I would've taken Friley. But MWL isn't bad either. Both are better than Helser. FML. Good floor guys, everything about the building sucked though.

As for the bathrooms, they aren't like something you see in a ****** movie. But keep in mind these three things.

1. People will pee in all the showers

2. **** and puke should be expected all over at least one stall just about every weekend

3. The sinks occasionally get very, very disgusting.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
If I could go back, I would've taken Friley. But MWL isn't bad either. Both are better than Helser. FML. Good floor guys, everything about the building sucked though.

As for the bathrooms, they aren't like something you see in a ****** movie. But keep in mind these three things.

1. People will pee in all the showers

2. **** and puke should be expected all over at least one stall just about every weekend

3. The sinks occasionally get very, very disgusting.

Friley FTW. Best of all the dorms. As Cubs mentioned, people do pee in the showers, so wear flip flops when taking a shower (this ain't home anymore!). Never really had any issue with the Friley bathrooms. The convenience of being close to Welch is a must.