Another potential OC hire- Nick Quartaro

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
You thinking lifetime contract for Mess then? Or at least as long as CPR is here? If offensive results dont matter, and he isnt accountable for recruiting, how do you evaluate him then?

jump-the-shark.gif

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I appreciate your defense of the current staff and, who knows, you may be right. But I can't buy that our offense hasn't had a quality QB since Mess took over. He has cycled through four QBs and hasn't gotten consistent production out of any of them. He has to own at least a tiny little piece of that, doesn't he? Offensive talent not ready to play at a high level? I saw Bundrage, Wimberly, Jarvis West and Richardson go toe to toe with Texas 4* and 5* guys with my own eyes. Beyond frustrating that we haven't found a way to get the ball into QB's hands multiple times a game. If Rhoads doesn't make changes that's fine with me. But he completely owns the outcome of that decision, good or bad. No excuses accepted this time next year if we are staying home for the holidays again.

Of course he doesnt own it. He is only the OC. Come on!!
Excuses. No accountability. Thats the way of the world.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Go back and rewatch the Iowa game and see how many times ISU runs up the middle or throws a WR screen against a defense that is good against the run, rolled the safeties up for run support and was in press coverage. Messingham is the definition of clueless on how to attack a defense. That was all I needed to see to know he could be replace by a 12 year old that played football on an X-box. For the life of me, I don't understand why there is anyone defending him. The only reason ISU even scored on Iowa was that they went into the 2 minute drill and started passing down field.

All of this. Even completely disregarding the poor QB play, the play calling was absolutely atrocious at times this season, and the Iowa game was the sterling example of how bad it was. The OC's job is to put the offense in a position to be successful, whether the players execute the plays being called is another story. But when you have a defense that is solid up the middle against the run and weak in the secondary against the pass, there is absolutely no excuse for running two zone read plays that go off-tackle to start the game against that defense. No excuse for it other than complete ineptitude.

To a certain extent, I can take it if our offense sucks because they aren't executing play calls that are correct for the situations they are in, but that isn't the overarching reason they weren't successful this year.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I appreciate your defense of the current staff and, who knows, you may be right. But I can't buy that our offense hasn't had a quality QB since Mess took over. He has cycled through four QBs and hasn't gotten consistent production out of any of them. He has to own at least a tiny little piece of that, doesn't he? Offensive talent not ready to play at a high level? I saw Bundrage, Wimberly, Jarvis West and Richardson go toe to toe with Texas 4* and 5* guys with my own eyes. Beyond frustrating that we haven't found a way to get the ball into QB's hands multiple times a game. If Rhoads doesn't make changes that's fine with me. But he completely owns the outcome of that decision, good or bad. No excuses accepted this time next year if we are staying home for the holidays again.

How do you know that ISU went toe to toe with UT because of Mess and not in spite of him? Honestly, I'm not a Mess apologist. I have every bit the doubt that most do. What frustrates me is the argument of play calling. I mean, this guy has coached football for decades, lived and breathed it. Made it to the highest level by showing something to CPR that he put his trust in him...but all of the sudden he can't make simple play calls or adjustments? Its just crazy to think some average guy has more knowledge than a guy that does it for a living.

Bottom line is that most people would rather take it out on a coach instead of admitting their team doesn't have as much talent (ready to play talent at least) as they thought. People don't like the excuse of injury, even when they should. Does Sam or Steele or Grant really look like great QB's to anybody? Look at all these stud freshman QB's around the country...great QB coaches right? Please..those guys are making their coaches look good. Either you have it to be a high D1 QB or not. You might be able to improve a little from year to year but I've not seen a QB in an ISU uniform worthy of high D1 sense Seneca.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
He was Mangino's OC at Kansas from 2002-2006, and after that took some time off from football. Now he's a position coach with McCarney at North Texas, and was our receivers coach from 1998-2001. This would be a diamond in the rough hire, and I'm sure would be disappointing to some, but he has Big 12 OC experience and knows how to coach QB's.

Nick Quartaro Bio - MEANGREENSPORTS.COM - The University of North Texas Official Athletic Site

Nick Quartaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick Quartaro - North Texas Football

Disappointing would be a understatement for me! Was not impressed by him when he was here before.

Side note, at that time he had a pretty hot daughter.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I don't understand promoting the O line coach when the O line was probably the biggest contributing factor in the ineptitude of the offense.

You dont think injuries and having a different starting 5 for 8 straight games had anything to do with that?

Coach K is a helluva lot more qualified OC than Mess.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
. Made it to the highest level by showing something to CPR that he put his trust in him...but all of the sudden he can't make simple play calls or adjustments? Its just crazy to think some average guy has more knowledge than a guy that does it for a living.

I would agree if I didn't watch a whole freaking season of plays where the opposing team was more sure of what the play was than the guys trying to execute it.

Find me one other team in the entire country that was as completely inept as ISU at the beginning of games this year. That is a great indicator of a good OC, that he has something to start the game with that will work against a team that he has spent an entire week studying the defensive weakness of. I have not looked but I would be stunned if there is anyone even close to the number of 3 and outs that ISU had in the first quarter of games.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
An 'intangibles' thing to consider...we already have half a fan base that can't spell Rhoads, we don't need those same people being able to neither spell, nor pronounce Quartaro.

:pwink:

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
You dont think injuries and having a different starting 5 for 8 straight games had anything to do with that?

Coach K is a helluva lot more qualified OC than Mess.

Then by that logic those same injuries should allow Mess to get a pass.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Didn't Kansas has some pretty crappy offenses from 2002-2006? That team was more defensive laden than anything those years if I recall correctly.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Where does CPR put him? Can't really keep him as QB coach since that has been a huge part of the problem. Can't move him back to WR coach unless you move Sturdy to QB coach, but the WR's under performed under Mess, as well. Can't move him to TE coach as you alreay put Bleil there when Coach K came in. No way in hell do we want Mess coaching O-line if you move Klenakis to QB coach/OC.

If Coach K is moved to OC, then probably Bleil moves back to OL coach and Mess moves to TEs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If Coach K is moved to OC, then probably Bleil moves back to OL coach and Mess moves to TEs.

So who coaches QB's in this scenario? I ask because you are only allowed to have so many assistant coaches so the OC also has to coach a position. And before you say coach K can coach QBs and be OC, well he has NEVER coached QBs, but he has been an OC.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Coach K, didn't he coach Kaepernick at Nevada? Coach K's bio indicates so.

I'd be OK with Sturdy as well. He was OC and QB coach at Wash. St. and was very successful there against Pac12 competition.

Last edited:

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Didn't Kansas has some pretty crappy offenses from 2002-2006? That team was more defensive laden than anything those years if I recall correctly.

It's possible. I just saw Big 12 OC experience and a guy who would be relatively easy to hire and thought it was a possibility. If he was poor at Kansas than he clearly shouldn't be hired, at least not as OC.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
So who coaches QB's in this scenario? I ask because you are only allowed to have so many assistant coaches so the OC also has to coach a position. And before you say coach K can coach QBs and be OC, well he has NEVER coached QBs, but he has been an OC.

If Coach K is OC then Mess would either have to stay as QB coach, or perhaps Sturdy or an outside hire would take it. I personally think naming Klenakis OC would be a big mistake, unless if he is willing to run an offense not based near as much around the zone read as what he ran at Nevada.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I have a question about Mangino as a potential hire as OC. Does anyone here really think CPR and Mangino actually have any kind of relationship with each other. I mean, how well does CPR know Mangino personally?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Still think someone at Indiana should be looked at. They've had prolific offenses last few years. Top third of the Big 10. Just haven't had a defense to stop a nose bleed.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Still think someone at Indiana should be looked at. They've had prolific offenses last few years. Top third of the Big 10. Just haven't had a defense to stop a nose bleed.

If there staff gets let go head coach Kevin Wilson should be Rhoads's first call, IMO. He was OC at Northwestern from 1999-2001 and then at Oklahoma from 2002-2010. I also think Indiana OC Seth Littrell could be an interesting hire.