Another female teacher incident

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, but they have finally been very proactive about doing something about it. There is mandatory training for every volunteer on what you have to avoid (e.g. being alone with a minor without another adult present) but more importantly how to recognize the warning signs that something bad for a child is going on.

The Catholic Church deserved all they got for the bad **** that happened and worse the failure to deal with suspected issues in some cases, but they have tried to be responsible and do all they can to prevent it in the future for the last 10 years or so.
As far as rating this post optimistic, yes, it is optimistic to think that any world-wide organization is going to be able to totally irradicate this type of thing, but at least the Catholic Church is making an honest effort to clean things up. Probably 2000 years late, but an effort none the less.

I never suggested they would be perfect going forward, nobody is and that is a flat out unrealistic expectation.

Reactions: NWICY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
As far as rating this post optimistic, yes, it is optimistic to think that any world-wide organization is going to be able to totally irradicate this type of thing, but at least the Catholic Church is making an honest effort to clean things up. Probably 2000 years late, but an effort none the less.

I never suggested they would be perfect going forward, nobody is and that is a flat out unrealistic expectation.

My family has been very quick to write off the abuse as the "gays" or letting the gays into the church.

They should've looked in the ******* mirror and decided to leave an organization they knew was taking advantage of the alter boys and sweeping it under the rug.

Oh, but we're God's church. Uh huh.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My family has been very quick to write off the abuse as the "gays" or letting the gays into the church.

They should've looked in the ******* mirror and decided to leave an organization they knew was taking advantage of the alter boys and sweeping it under the rug.

Oh, but we're God's church. Uh huh.
I've always considered alter boy sexual abuse more a prison type dominance then homosexuality.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I've always considered alter boy sexual abuse more a prison type dominance then homosexuality.

No. It's the gays. They've infiltrated the church. There would be no sexual abuse if only the gays were pushed out.

Which leads to a whole lot of other fun topics....

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The line is 18. That has been established. Everyone knows it and if men and women can’t find someone 18 and older, they deserve jail. I don’t care if they say he or she is a mature 16 or 17 year old. Still under age.

Tell that to the small town 19/20 year olds "dating" 16 year olds. I can't believe how common this is.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Someone should tell the state of Iowa that, age of consent is 16.

Of course for this particular topic their age is mostly irrelevant, it's illegal even at 18.
It's crazy some of the laws on the books, recently passed, or restrictions voted down in the South with regards to age of consent, age of marriage, marriage of family members, etc. Disgusting whenever I see a new story about some of these things.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's crazy some of the laws on the books, recently passed, or restrictions voted down in the South with regards to age of consent, age of marriage, marriage of family members, etc. Disgusting whenever I see a new story about some of these things.

Without commenting on laws I've not seen, I'm actually in favor of the Iowa law. While maybe you miss out on prosecuting the 40 year old creeper who sleeps with a 16 year old, you also aren't prosecuting the 21 year old college kid who sleeps with a 17 year old college freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
My bull **** meter goes off the charts with the mega church stuff. Wife and I had our biggest fight when we were dating.

Went to a mega church event and it was more about selling books and shirts than anything. I called bull **** loudly enough to really start a dust up.

I will never trust my kids at any religious or church sponsored event. I'm there or he isn't.
Pastors have payments too....Google Joel Osteen's house.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Nobody is expecting them to iradicate all abuse but is it unrealistic to want every accusation of sexual misconduct reported to police and an investigation done?

Excuse us for not being optimistic that the church will start acting responsibly after centuries of sweeping it under the rug.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
The line is 18. That has been established. Everyone knows it and if men and women can’t find someone 18 and older, they deserve jail. I don’t care if they say he or she is a mature 16 or 17 year old. Still under age.
By this logic I was raped by an 18 year old when I was 17. Most states have laws that allow a 2 or 3 year age gap which is completely fair IMO. A bunch of guys in my senior class dated sophomores, is that wrong?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Nobody is expecting them to iradicate all abuse but is it unrealistic to want every accusation of sexual misconduct reported to police and an investigation done?

Excuse us for not being optimistic that the church will start acting responsibly after centuries of sweeping it under the rug.

Any organization (business applies in this case too) with this track record should be blown the **** up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
By this logic I was raped by an 18 year old when I was 17. Most states have laws that allow a 2 or 3 year age gap which is completely fair IMO. A bunch of guys in my senior class dated sophomores, is that wrong?
I took it as the poster meant generally for older people (which most of us on here are), and older meaning 30+ at least. For some reason I thought the legal age of consent in Iowa was like 18 but was like a 5 year rule for those 16 or 17 (not sure about 15s) which means a 21 would be fine if with a 16 but not a 22 year old. Of course none of this is fine if its a teacher/student situation.

• Agree
Reactions: TitanClone