Another B12 win

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Im afraid I dont understand, OSU is 10th in the BCS which would put them in a BCS game.

Don't be afraid. Virginia Tech and Cincinnati were conference champions not in the top ten taking away two spots. tOSU leapfrogged #8 Texas Tech (by rule) and #9 Boise State.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
"Even for us?" Jeezus dude. I know we can be a little self depricating but that is a flat out self image problem. Look in the mirror with a Cyclone jersey and tell yourself you love you. I am enjoying a confernec win over a rival conference. And I think tOUSU is overrated and dirty so yes I root against them. It's called sports.
No self-image problem here. I'm proud to be an Iowa State fan. It takes character to stick with an athletic program like Iowa State's -- where the tough times often seem to outnumber the good, but the memories of those good times keep you going for years at a time.

What I have no use for is false bravado. News flash: Iowa State didn't play a football game tonight! And what happened in the Fiesta Bowl did nothing to change Iowa State's football fortunes. But if thumping your chest and crowing about Big 12 superiority after a Big 12 team (who is vastly superior to us) beats a team from another conference (who is vastly superior to us) makes you feel better about being a Cyclone fan, then, by all means, keep thumping! Whatever gets you through the night. Me, I'm confident enough in my identity as an Iowa State fan that I don't need to ride another conference team's coattails to a taste of glory that my team has not earned.

Oh, and there's a difference between rooting against a team and denying their accomplishments simply because you don't like them. I can't stand Ohio State, but I respect their football program. Unlike some fans, I have no need to tear down or minimize some other team's accomplishments in order to make me feel better about Iowa State's lot in life. Frankly, I don't think I'm the one who needs to look in the mirror for a self-assessment session.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ficklone02

SgtPepper

Jan 6, 2009
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess Texas just didn't show up for the game then.

Not sure what game you were watching.
As has been noted it has nothing to do with bowl performance, simply regular season performance. Most seem to believe OSU did not deserve a BCS spot. I disagree, but what can you do..

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
The Rose Bowl should have been USC vs. Texas Tech. Although hindsight is 20/20 and Tech lost to Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl, they really didn't want to be there after their great season resulted in so little. I mean, Penn St. lost to IOWA. Need I say anymore? If it wasn't for Andy Brodell, they would have struggled against the team they refer to as Ketchup and Mustard and Clowns. Give me a break, South Carolina blows and every Hawk fan knows it deep inside their ego-covered gut.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess Texas just didn't show up for the game then.

Not sure what game you were watching.
You said they deserved to be on the field with Texas. They played a good game and had a very real chance of winning. No way in hell did they deserve to be there.

SgtPepper

Jan 6, 2009
Don't be afraid. Virginia Tech and Cincinnati were conference champions not in the top ten taking away two spots. tOSU leapfrogged #8 Texas Tech (by rule) and #9 Boise State.
Would you not be better served arguing that Va Tech and Cincinnati were not deserving of BCS bids? I would agree with that.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
No self-image problem here. I'm proud to be an Iowa State fan. It takes character to stick with an athletic program like Iowa State's -- where the tough times often seem to outnumber the good, but the memories of those good times keep you going for years at a time.

What I have no use for is false bravado. News flash: Iowa State didn't play a football game tonight! And what happened in the Fiesta Bowl did nothing to change Iowa State's football fortunes. But if thumping your chest and crowing about Big 12 superiority after a Big 12 team (who is vastly superior to us) beats a team from another conference (who is vastly superior to us) makes you feel better about being a Cyclone fan, then, by all means, keep thumping! Whatever gets you through the night. Me, I'm confident enough in my identity as an Iowa State fan that I don't need to ride another conference team's coattails for a taste of glory that my team has not earned.

Oh, and there's a difference between rooting against a team and denying their accomplishments simply because you don't like them. I can't stand Ohio State, but I respect their football program. Unlike some fans, I have no need to tear down or minimize some other team's accomplishments in order to make me feel better about Iowa State's lot in life. Frankly, I don't think I'm the one who needs to look in the mirror for a self-assessment session.

I seemed to have struck a nerve.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
As has been noted it has nothing to do with bowl performance, simply regular season performance. Most seem to believe OSU did not deserve a BCS spot. I disagree, but what can you do..
Exactly. Deserved to be there was everything that lead to them being picked to play in the game. OSU didn't deserve it. I think Iowa would have given Texas as good of a game as OSU. I think Iowa could beat OSU. But Iowa doesn't deserve the chance to play Texas either. Boise deserved it. Tech deserved it.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You said they deserved to be on the field with Texas. They played a good game and had a very real chance of winning. No way in hell did they deserve to be there.

So, the #10 team in the nation doesn't deserve one of the 10 BCS slots. Makes sense to me... :wacko:

Look, I hate OSU as much as the next guy. But let's not kid ourselves - if you're upset about TTU and Boise State not getting a shot at a BCS game, blame the two teams who got in who were not in the Top 10.

Of course, Boise State and TTU both lost, so I guess making a case for them would be moot at this point.

So please, explain to me why a top 10 team doesn't deserve one of the 10 BCS spots? Because of last year? Alright, take OU out of the BCS then too. Let's give that spot to.... ?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Exactly. Deserved to be there was everything that lead to them being picked to play in the game. OSU didn't deserve it. I think Iowa would have given Texas as good of a game as OSU. I think Iowa could beat OSU. But Iowa doesn't deserve the chance to play Texas either. Boise deserved it. Tech deserved it.

Boise State lost. Texas Tech lost. Texas Tech lost by a lot. They did not deserve to be there.

Hawks2405

Jan 6, 2009
The Rose Bowl should have been USC vs. Texas Tech. Although hindsight is 20/20 and Tech lost to Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl, they really didn't want to be there after their great season resulted in so little. I mean, Penn St. lost to IOWA. Need I say anymore? If it wasn't for Andy Brodell, they would have struggled against the team they refer to as Ketchup and Mustard and Clowns. Give me a break, South Carolina blows and every Hawk fan knows it deep inside their ego-covered gut.

Iowa just went 9-4, lost all four games by a combined 12 points, three of the teams were ranked at the end of the year and we turned the ball over 5 times at home against NW which took Missouri to overtime. Want me to go on? We also beat the same Penn State team that destroyed Oregon State. I would like to see any Big 12 team go into Pasadena and play a home game with USC at the end of the season. Good luck with that one! Rip on Iowa all you want but I still find it hilarious and very cute. 2-10 and you don't win a single game in your conference yet still talk smack. Amazing.

Hawks2405

Jan 6, 2009
Ohio State lost by a lot to USC...
...and lost to Penn State

When is a Big 12 team going to have the sack to go schedule USC at the beginning of the year? I would love to see it. OSU scheduled Texas and beat them at their place last year so I guess that equals out the bowl loss.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
So, the #10 team in the nation doesn't deserve one of the 10 BCS slots. Makes sense to me...
Boise State lost. Texas Tech lost. Texas Tech lost by a lot. They did not deserve to be there.
You can't be that dumb. I've read plenty of your posts and I know you aren't that dumb. Deserve would be what you did to get there; not what happened once you are there. OSU is a 2 loss #10 team. Boise is a 0 loss #9 team. So either way give Boise the nod.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron