All-Time Fave One-Hit-Wonder

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
As for my own entry, I submit T'Pau and their 1987 #4 Hot 100 hit "Heart and Soul". They never charted another song on the Hot 100.

They did have many hits in the UK (7 total made the UK top 40), including the world-wide smash, China in Your Hand, which hit #1 in seven countries. I loved their single Bridge of Spies. Was very disappointed it never caught on here.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm younger than you but they were "that 'Wonderwall' band" when I was young.

From my naive perspective they were very much a one-hit wonder. That song was everywhere.

But after that... nothing.

Eventually somebody told me to check them out... a friend knew I was a fan of 60s and 70s rock 'n' roll and told me to give them a try... very much in that vein though with a modern twist but the obvious influences of 60s mods, 70s glam and hard rock, and 80s punk and indie rock mixed in there...

Put on their first album one night.

******* sold forever maybe ten seconds into "Rock 'n' Roll Star."

Three (maybe four) chord RAWK. No ******* around. Impossible amounts of distortion. Recycled riffs from half-forgotten 60s and 70s songs. Arrogant-sounding vocalist. Louddddddddddddddd.

Gimme some more of that. That stuff is great.

Looked it up. Champaigne Supernova got to No. 20 on the US Charts. It hit bigger on MTV than CR area radios iirc.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gonna be lazy and not scroll through to see if this massively politically incorrect one hit wonder was named. I can't help it. I still quote it: Wut am ah dooin heer?

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Silverchair's frontman was like 15 when that hit. They had some random 'Year 2000' song that basically aligned with the graduates of that year but it was surprising they didn't get much else going chart-wise.
I bought their album with that single on it and as I recall it was actually pretty decent.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010

Not sure this can even be considered a one hit wonder as it’s a cover song. There are quite a few examples of bands not doing anything besides a lucky cover song that got airplay. Another example is Zombie by Bad Wolves