All-Time Fave One-Hit-Wonder

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Sweet is not a one hit wonder, they had 3 or 4 other hits. Another poster listed Joan Jett and the Blackhearts as one hit wonders too, they had more than that.
Ya thems fighting words. Joan was the poor man’s Pat Benatar.

Reactions: Angie

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I’m old but also once had a spirited discussion with a fellow who argued that Strawberry Alarm Clock was a better band than the Beatles. That conversation took place long ago and far away in Dubuque
Dude I grew up in Platteville. Was that me you argued with?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think what I learned from my Blur post is that our exposure to a band comes through various mediums across different time periods with different radio or tv stations. So while something like Semisonic is a band I liked a whole cd of, most would consider them a one hit wonder.

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Wheatus- Teenage Dirtbag
Semisonic - Closing Time
New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
DC Talk - Jesus Freak
Powerman 5000 - An Eye Is Upon You or Tonight The Stars Revolt
Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Fireflies
Crazy Town - Butterfly
Shawn Mullins - Lullaby
The Fray - Over My Head and How To Save A Life
Good Charlotte - The Anthem
Bowling For Soup - 1985
Five for Fighting - Superman
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Dido - White Flag

That’s a playlist from turn of the century I keep around.
Snow Patrol and The Fray had alot of solid stuff that didn't make it on the radio during that time period.

I bought that Eyes Wide open album or whatever it was called and liked most of the other songs better than Chasing Cars.

Reactions: Jer and Letterkenny

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Kind of off topic, but there's a good series on Paramount+ right now about the 80s glam rock movement. It's called "I Wanna Rock". It's fascinating seeing some of them 30-40 years later.

It's crazy to think about now how Kurt Cobain single handily put many of them out of business in the early 90s.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Love me some Tractors. They had some real banger covers, not sure why only one was a hit.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Church-Under The Milky. The Church are an under-appreciated band. They only had one US Hit, but they made 23 albums and most are stellar. They have a cult following around the world and their live shows are among the best I have ever seen.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
B.W. Stevenson, My Maria

Bobby Bloom, Montego Bay

Last edited:

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
I saw these guys in concert and liked several of their other songs, but this was their biggest hit by far...

Thin Lizzy, The Boys are Back in Town

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron