All-Time Fave One-Hit-Wonder

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We talk a lot about our favorite bands, singers, etc on here and it's always centered around musicians or groups that have a healthy catalog. But what is the one-hit-wonder that you rank up there?

Mine would have to be Blur - Song 2.

Blur isn't a 1 hit wonder, they are very popular in the U.K. and still tour. They just released a new album this year also and that song The Narcissist has been getting heavy airplay all year in the states also.

Reactions: Fishhead and Jer

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Unfortunately for everyone, With Arms Wide Open was an even bigger hit than Higher, the Creed years were a dark time for us all.
They had at least 3 songs from My Own Prison, Human Clay, and Weathered on rock radio around that time so I don't know how you can call them a 1 hit wonder. I saw them live twice also and they were really good.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I thought this group was going to hit it big when this song came out but they literally broke up the band after 1 album. VH1 has this song ranked #11 on their 1 hit wonders of the 90's. Pretty good list of songs on there: VH1’s 40 Greatest One-Hit Wonders of the ’90s | (toponehitwonders.com)

Another 1 hit wonder from the 90's:

Would consider Creed a 1 hit wonder. Scott Stapp being a huge DB basically wrecked any momentum they had once they hit it big

Scott may be DB but they are not a One Hit Wonder. 90's Nickelback, sure, but not a One Hit Wonder.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Ok, so I can never let this type of thread go without posting the full top 40 catalog of artists mentioned who are definitely not one-hit wonders (defined as having had at least one OTHER top 40 hit in the United States). Artists who primarily charted songs in other genres (R&B, country, etc) should be considered, but with a grain of salt as fans of those other genres would likely recognize many other popular singles.

The Outfield. Most people only remember Your Love, which was a #6 Hot 100 hit in 1986. They actually reached the top 40 multiple times, but never the top ten again. Other top 40 singles were: All the Love in the World, #19, 1986; Since You've Been Gone, #31, 1987; Voices of Babylon, #25, 1989; For You, #21, 1990.

Falco. Everybody (who is old enough) remembers Rock Me Amadeus, which was #1 for three weeks in the U.S. in 1985. But many forget the follow-up single, Vienna Calling peaked at #18.

Vanilla Ice. Ice Ice Baby was ubiquitous in 1990, becoming the first rap song to reach #1 on the Hot 100. Oddly, for as massive as the song was, it only stayed at #1 for a single week, being bumped from the top by Mariah Carey's Love Takes Time. The follow-up (which was actually Vanilla Ice's FIRST single release, but didn't go anywhere until AFTER Ice Ice Baby caught fire), a cover of Play That Funky Music, went to #4 on the Hot 100.

Men Without Hats. The Safety Dance was released in Canada in 1982, but didn't catch on in the U.S. until 1983. It climbed to #3 on the Hot 100 and seemed certainly to be the group's only top 40 hit in the States. That was until 1987 when Pop Goes the World found its way to #20 on the Hot 100, rescuing them from one-hit wonder status.

Donnie Iris. I loved Ah! Leah! as a kid whenever I heard it on the radio. It seemed like it was on a LOT. It managed to reach #29 on the Hot 100 in late 1980, but it was not his only top 40 hit. Love Is Like a Rock went to #37 in 1981 and My Girl went to #25 in 1982.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Silverchair's frontman was like 15 when that hit. They had some random 'Year 2000' song that basically aligned with the graduates of that year but it was surprising they didn't get much else going chart-wise.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
To the 50 people that have pointed out Blur isn’t a one hit wonder, I am profoundly sorry. I only ever really got into Song 2 but did know they were big overseas. They should not be a one hit wonder overall, just in my experience.