All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This site just yesterday was telling me some guy on twitter was owning all Hawk fans because he posted 10 years of Sagarin stats. So yeah, this place loves them some Sagarin. The funny thing is you do like to pick and choose when to love Sagarin.
He was posting SOS from completed seasons

Reactions: CyPunch

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don’t think Purdue is all that great, they are just better according to some (not me mind you) than 70% of the Big12
And according to KenPom, Purdue was the 24th best team in the nation despite going 16-15. Analytics are fun to look at and give good indications, but they absolutely should not be used to determine whether one team would beat another. Especially when Purdue hasn't played a snap of football due to their impulsive conference.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I've always used AP votes and will continue to so I'm sure you won't
Using Sagarin to look at SOS of a completed season is not comparable to using Sagarin to rank teams who haven't played yet

If you go by AP, you can't use Sagarin SOS. This is how bad Sagarin was last year.
Sagarin Texas #15, AP #25
Sagarin KState #26, AP #38 (the way you calculate it)
Sagarin OSU #22, AP didn't even get a vote for top 25, so below #40
Sagarin ISU #28, AP didn't even get a vote for top 25, so below #40.

Sagarin so overrated all the Big12 teams, of course the SOS was totally inaccurate, and way out of line with every other SOS metric. Just 4 Big12 teams alone he overrated them by at least 52 ratings spots.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Yes you can. AP doesn't have SOS so you go to the best SOS metric which is Sagarin

How can Sagarin SOS rating be good if they don't use the AP ratings? Giving ISU credit for playing the the #15, #22 and #26 teams when those teams were actually #25, #38, and lower than #40 is a joke of a metric.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyPunch and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
How can Sagarin SOS rating be good if they don't use the AP ratings? Giving ISU credit for playing the the #15, #22 and #26 teams when those teams were actually #25, #38, and lower than #40 is a joke of a metric.
So what SOS metric is good?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
So what SOS metric is good?

They are all flawed, they are only as good as their ratings. That is why I use a bunch of them and go with what the majority find. Last year a majority of reputable SOS metrics said Iowa had a tougher SOS, and Sagarin was a crazy bad outlier compared to most. That was mostly due to the fact that Sagarin completely overrated several Big12 teams. And we both know they were crazy overrated, because they weren't even close to what we both use, the AP poll. That is crazy saying the #25 team is #15, and a team who didn't eve receive a top 25 AP vote was #22. That is just horribly bad.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They are all flawed, they are only as good as their ratings. That is why I use a bunch of them and go with what the majority find. Last year a majority of reputable SOS metrics said Iowa had a tougher SOS, and Sagarin was a crazy bad outlier compared to most. That was mostly due to the fact that Sagarin completely overrated several Big12 teams. And we both know they were crazy overrated, because they weren't even close to what we both use, the AP poll. That is crazy saying the #25 team is #15, and a team who didn't eve receive a top 25 AP vote was #22. That is just horribly bad.
So if you use the AP poll you can't talk about SOS? Lol OK

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I watched all of the ULL, TCU, and OU games. I didn't catch much of the Tech game, had other obligations.

I'll watch most ISU football games, unless it competes with an Iowa game.

Watching ISU football is "pathetic"?
No, lurking on your rivals fan page is

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron