All BYU Walk-Ons Will Have Their Tuition Covered Through New NIL Deal

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
On one hand, this is a cool idea. But like what does this do to the mac schools, wac conference schools, or UNI?

All part of the fun changes of college fball.
Yep. We’re going to see big boosters signing walk-ons to NIL deals with their businesses. Suddenly Alabama will have 120 players on scholarship.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I was under the impression that any NIL deal had to be for market value. What market value does a walk-in provide in their NIL to justify full tuition paid? At what point do we just do away with scholarships and have 3rd parties pay players and the players pay their own tuition?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So I was under the impression that any NIL deal had to be for market value. What market value does a walk-in provide in their NIL to justify full tuition paid? At what point do we just do away with scholarships and have 3rd parties pay players and the players pay their own tuition?
That's only the Florida law that requires that. And they're not going to enforce it anyway.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Honestly this could hurt recruiting. Do you want to go to a school that has 120 guys essentially on scholarship or 85? Add this to competing for playing time with 25 y/o men that went on mission and the top end of your recruiting could get dicey.

Reactions: Cloneon

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I have a feeling that I’ll be done watching any NCAA event someday. Going to end up who pays the most.

I agree this completely. This is all just really sad for the majority of the schools, the fans and the sport. - IMO

I am really scared for basketball and how this payment stuff is going to work out. You can buy a championship team with just a few players unlike football.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Honestly this could hurt recruiting. Do you want to go to a school that has 120 guys essentially on scholarship or 85? Add this to competing for playing time with 25 y/o men that went on mission and the top end of your recruiting could get dicey.

It didn't hurt Nebraska back in the 80-90s, lots of for real walk ons they were not even getting paid. Pop over to Surly and look in the FB forum, they are crowd sourcing a NIL for all the tight ends.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It didn't hurt Nebraska back in the 80-90s, lots of for real walk ons they were not even getting paid. Pop over to Surly and look in the FB forum, they are crowd sourcing a NIL for all the tight ends.
Nebraska had NILs in the 80s?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They won national championships in 94,95,97. Big rosters aren't a downfall.

They also have a huge roster right now. Doesn’t seem to be helping.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They didn't win Nattys until they got scuzzy. Nothing to do with walkons.
Each county had a scholarship for a person from that county to play football at Nebraska. Not positive how they were specifically funded, but it guaranteed that the best players in the state stayed at Nebraska.

EDIT: and that didn’t include the cars that they offered recruits either.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
They didn't win Nattys until they got scuzzy. Nothing to do with walkons.

idk. I remember them running out entire new O-lines at ISU like a hockey line change. It was brutal.

Surely, they will have to have some kind of limit of walkons as well as scholarship players. Period. Otherwise you are going to have 200 players at OSU and Bama and that WILL wreck up the game, more than superleagues and NIL and realignment combined.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
There are some things that are different today that will limit the negative effects of this. Kids entering college today are MUCH more physically prepared than 30-40 years ago. Pretty much everyone has solid HS S&C and nutrition. The best are always going to be the best, but the bottom and middle are a whole lot better. It's just a larger overall talent pool. And because they are more physically prepared, they want to play and are less willing to go somewhere it is more likely they sit for a large portion of their career.

I'm sure they will find some late bloomers, but if they're at all decent and everything else remains the same, they're going to choose where they can get on the field quicker. And that means being one of 85 rather than one of 86-120.

If we've learned anything about the landscape of college football, while money makes everything easier, in terms of sustained success, it has diminishing rates of return. Coaches build programs, not $$$. (are you listening, Texas?)

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Help Support Us

Become a patron