AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Are we really thinking this is Green’s only chance at a Duke graduate degree? He’ll have no problem getting admitted whenever he wants.

This will be a basketball decision.

What? Are you implying that he can go to ISU and get a grad degree, run out of eligibility and then get a degree from Duke for free?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
It feels to me that if the staff was worried they’d be heavily recruiting a guard this whole time while still saving a spot for AJ regardless. It’s been over a month with very little connection to any guards. I think he’s a lock for ISU. But weirder things have happened.
Not disagreeing with you, but is there really a guard left yet in the portal that would be worth pursuing (or that would show strong interest in us) that could supply what AJG does? We already have Williams, Gabe, Holmes, Grill, King, Lipsey. Unless he was a game changer, not sure we would be interested in anyone to using up the scholarship is all I'm wondering.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What? Are you implying that he can go to ISU and get a grad degree, run out of eligibility and then get a degree from Duke for free?
I really don’t think getting a jump start on a grad degree of higher quality is going to be a factor. Unless he has no interest in playing overseas he’s most likely a lock to make great money for years playing. Credits have a shelf life.

Average Duke MBA grads make $136k three months after the graduation. That’s really good, but unless he’s out of basketball in several years, including overseas, it’s going to be irrelevant.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I really don’t think getting a jump start on a grad degree of higher quality is going to be a factor. Unless he has no interest in playing overseas he’s most likely a lock to make great money for years playing. Credits have a shelf life.

Average Duke MBA grads make $136k three months after the graduation. That’s really good, but unless he’s out of basketball in several years, including overseas, it’s going to be irrelevant.

Yep.

This is a basketball decision. These aren’t regular students and this certainly isn’t a regular grad student situation.

If there comes a time AJ wants to try his hand in the non basketball world, he’ll have no problem getting accepted to Duke or anywhere, but such a degree not as likely to be needed as it is for Average Joe. There’s also a chance he’d want better than Duke.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Wait, you don’t think the earth is flat?

******* round earthers.

If Green doesn’t make it in the NBA, his graduate degree from Duke will definitely hold more weight than a graduate degree from ISU.
You think he’d actually finish? Most grad degrees are 2 years

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Also, let’s say he actually wants a grad degree at some point. Doesn’t the ‘quality’ of that degree depend on what you want to do after sports? Maybe Duke doesn’t offer a grad degree in what he is looking for. Or, although hard/impossible to believe for some of you, ISU offers him more opportunities in his chosen studies and/or where he wants to live.

Living in St Louis, employers here (specifically attorney employers) prefer graduates from Mizzou over east coast power schools. Why? Because the education / preparation is similar and Mizzou grads are more likely to stick around in Missouri.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I've always thought it was tough to compare incomes straight up when talking midwest and the coasts. Many times, the wages will equal out after a couple years anyhow.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Another angle to consider. Who do you think is going with AJ to visit Duke?

While most schools use negative information about a player's other top choices, do you think that would be effective or awkward in this situation?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Another angle to consider. Who do you think is going with AJ to visit Duke?

While most schools use negative information about a player's other top choices, do you think that would be effective or awkward in this situation?
I'm guessing Duke doesn't have to do much negative recruiting. Unless it's against UNC or Kentucky.