Accepted to ISU as a transfer student!

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
This is all personal opinion, so if anyone disagrees with me don't take it personally!

Richardson Court should be your #1. It's a very traditional dorm. It will give you the best opportunity to make friends and meet people. I think some floors might even be Co-ed. It's fairly centrally located, too.

Buchannan is a lot of single-rooms and people who are not interested in making friends. Wether they're almost done, or whatever, it isn't a very "fun" building. Not a terrible location, though.

Freddy is a huge clump of on-campus apartments. Mostly 4-bedrooms. If you happen to know or like your roommates it can be very fun, but if you're just getting "luck of the draw" I'd say you have a 90% chance of getting 2+ asians (take that for what it's worth. Not saying it's bad, just saying it will probably not be the college experience you're looking for).

Wallace is REALLY far away an aging not-so-gracefully, but it has a lot of people in it, and I've heard the fun-level there has improved somewhat.

Go Richardson Ct. if you can!

Last edited:

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
This is all personal opinion, so if anyone disagrees with me don't take it personally!

Richardson Court should be your #1. It's a very traditional dorm. It will give you the best opportunity to make friends and meet people. I think some floors might even be Co-ed. It's fairly centrally located, too.

Buchannan is a lot of single-rooms and people who are not interested in making friends. Wether they're almost done, or whatever, it isn't a very "fun" building. Not a terrible location, though.

Freddy is a huge clump of on-campus apartments. Mostly 4-bedrooms. If you happen to know your roommates it can be very fun, but if you're just getting "luck of the draw" I'd say you have a 90% chance of getting 2+ asians (take that for what it's worth. Not saying it's bad, just saying it will probably not be the college experience you're looking for).

Wallace is REALLY far away an aging not-so-gracefully, but it has a lot of people in it, and I've heard the fun-level there has improved somewhat.

Go Richardson Ct. if you can!

I would agree with this

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm 19 at the moment, will be 20 for pretty much all of next academic year, I look forward to the famed american house party! My accommodation choices are richardson court,buchannan residence, wallace hall and federiksen court, those words mean nothing to me at the moment!

I'm not a huge fan of any of those 4, but if you're looking to have fun Wallace is your best bet.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Ah it can't be that bad... surely! All I've seen about american college comes from Van Wilder and American Pie... is it anything like that all? And accommodation, where would you guys recommend?
I'd say it's more like Accepted. Or maybe Old School.

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
wow, thank for all the info guys! It does sound like it will be extremely cold - at least it won't rain as much as here. Yeah, ideally I would like to live with americans, from the majority of international students I have met here (bar the odd exception and people on exchange from Arizona state) don't like to go out and have fun, and would rather stay in and study (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Richardson court looks pretty good to me, having a roomate will be a new experience, over here single rooms are the norm everywhere. Going to see some college sports will be insane, I'm an avid (as avid as a brit can be!) follower of the NFL, so getting to see some college footbal will be sick!

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I love Iowa State and Ames and I think you'll have a great time. That said, how did you end up deciding on ISU?

Anyway, you'll have a good time partying with the blokes, the lassies will be accommodating to any guy with a British accent, and there aren't too many wankers in Ames.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It gets very cold in the winter.
It gets very hot and humid in the summer. Spring and Fall are about perfect.
Go to ISU football games (especially the Iowa game next fall) and tailgate. It will be a massive party with lots of booze. Tailgating at ISU is a blast. Lots of cute college girls wearing short skirts and tube tops. Make friends with people who like to tailgate.
Go to an ISU basketball game.
Experience VEISHEA. It's the nations largest student run festival. It's basically an entire week devoted for partying and celebrating the University. If you're lucky, there will be a riot and you can get a face full of pepper spray (only kidding... Kind of)
Play Intramural sports.
Make a lot of friends.
You'll have a blast!

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
Hahaha, I was waiting till someone would ask about the teeth. Unfortunately they are not messed up - I endured braces for two years. What is this about elbows? Its a new stereotype to me!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Hahaha, I was waiting till someone would ask about the teeth. Unfortunately they are not messed up - I endured braces for two years. What is this about elbows? Its a new stereotype to me!
The elbows comment isn't a stereotype. Some people on this message board wouldn't have sex with the hottest girl in the world because there is always something wrong with them, like their elbows are too pointy. haha

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I love Iowa State and Ames and I think you'll have a great time. That said, how did you end up deciding on ISU?

Anyway, you'll have a good time partying with the blokes, the lassies will be accommodating to any guy with a British accent, and there aren't too many wankers in Ames.

My guess is he's on an exchange program. Universities a lot of time have partnerships with each other and make it easier and cheaper for students to study abroad at each of the schools. I did an exchange last semester over in England and paid Iowa State tuition, which made it a lot more affordable. Plus, who wouldn't want to study at a big time college town, and get a great American experience?!

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I would agree with the other posters regarding attending a basketball and football game! Particularly a conference basketball game where the atmosphere still approaches what Hilton (where the Cyclones play basketball) used to be like in the 90s!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My son lives in Helser, in Union Drive. You didn't list that as a housing option, but he loves Helser even though it is a dump because he likes the other students there. He's moving to Fredrickson next year because he'll be a junior and most kids in the dorm are younger, but if there were more of his friends staying, he would too. I'm guessing it's full in Union Drive and that's why you didn't put it as an option? If you are in engineering, I would recommend one of the Union Drive dorms, closer to class. Otherwise RCA. I think it is easier to meet people even though you might be older than most of the residents. Easier to go somewhere like Fredrickson if you already know people.

My son doesn't drink (at least that is info he has volunteered to his mother, but which I believe since he texted me last Saturday early in the morning and the text was comprehensible). He did say the guys on his dorm floor pitched in and got the custodian a nice gift card since he had to clean up so much vomit in their bathrooms, so I take it that most of the guys in the dorm do drink.

I'm sure you will have no girl problems with the accent. Welcome to Cyclone Nation.

ehann

Jan 18, 2013

Sorry I missed your question first time! Well there is an exhcange program between our two universities, alot of people apply, but only to universities in Cali/New York/Florida, I believe I was the only one who applied to ISU! (nothing personal from us brits, but I dont think many have heard of Iowa!) I think our university is keen to send people over to you, with you being such a good engineering school and all that!

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
The elbows comment isn't a stereotype. Some people on this message board wouldn't have sex with the hottest girl in the world because there is always something wrong with them, like their elbows are too pointy. haha
Ahhh haha, there I was examining my elbows!

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
My son lives in Helser, in Union Drive. You didn't list that as a housing option, but he loves Helser even though it is a dump because he likes the other students there. He's moving to Fredrickson next year because he'll be a junior and most kids in the dorm are younger, but if there were more of his friends staying, he would too. I'm guessing it's full in Union Drive and that's why you didn't put it as an option? If you are in engineering, I would recommend one of the Union Drive dorms, closer to class. Otherwise RCA. I think it is easier to meet people even though you might be older than most of the residents. Easier to go somewhere like Fredrickson if you already know people.

My son doesn't drink (at least that is info he has volunteered to his mother, but which I believe since he texted me last Saturday early in the morning and the text was comprehensible). He did say the guys on his dorm floor pitched in and got the custodian a nice gift card since he had to clean up so much vomit in their bathrooms, so I take it that most of the guys in the dorm do drink.

I'm sure you will have no girl problems with the accent. Welcome to Cyclone Nation.

Thanks for the info! I have heard to generally avoid Hester because of the heat, they all seem nice though! I wouldnt mind where I end up at all, I suppose being close to class would be useful as I am there to work at the end of the day!