Aaron Calvin Speaks

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
All jokes aside, I think it is BS and cowardly that the Register fired this guy. They clearly don’t get it. Their response to being crushed by public opinion based on their choice to highlight dated tweets irrelevant to the feel good story was to fire the reporter who did the work for them for dated tweets. And frankly, the reporter’s old tweets were pretty mild as far as old offensive tweets go.

The editor who greenlighted the stuff about King's tweets should've been fired as well. It was her call.

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
You’ve lost touch with reality on this one.

If Carson’s tweets were relevant enough include in the article, Calvin’s more offensive tweets were worthy of someone that communicates for a living getting fired. He and his editor should also be fired for just bad business. The DMR as a small town, can’t afford to have people that manage to nearly universally upset their target demographic.

You think Calvin’s tweets were more offensive than Carson’s? Agree to disagree.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This situation really exposes what this "cancel culture" is all about. The best take-away is this: "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." We each need to take a look at our own life first & think about how much we would hope that others would show a measure of grace (& forgiveness) for something stupid we did that is not commensurate with how we have lived the VAST MAJORITY of our life. I certainly would not have advocated for people to air out this reporter's dirty laundry - but if one is willing to initiate the "dirt-digging," that person should be fully prepared for others to take that same action against him/her. It's something that people, who relish the doxxing process, should carefully consider.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You’ve lost touch with reality on this one.

If Carson’s tweets were relevant enough include in the article, Calvin’s more offensive tweets were worthy of someone that communicates for a living getting fired.

Except its not like the article made those tweets a centerpiece. It merely mentioned the tweets. Ironically it was people like you who got all outraged about it that made it a bigger deal than it had to be. Otherwise it would have been a one-paragraph footnote -with mitigating information showing that isnt who he is today- in an otherwise extremely positive profile.

The reporter never 'tried to ruin his life' as many morons have claimed, or tried to get him fired or anything like that, so its not like there's some hypocrisy there. Nor was there much damage in the end anyway, other Busch ending its relationship that was likely to be short-lived anyway (and they still maintained their donation). From the tweets i saw, Calvin's tweets were much like the ones that Carson's claimed to be (though we've never actually seen the exact ones from Carson because they were deleted)- mostly just quotes of other people from several years ago.

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I am also not sure anyone should get fired even though I hated this. I think our urge to overreact as a society lately could use a restrictor plate. The register issued an apology and maybe it should have just been left at that. Carson shouldn’t have had to apologize for something he said as a sophomore in high school. We need to get out of the business of trying to ruin people’s lives in 24 hours for mistakes that aren’t that big of a deal in the long run.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I am also not sure anyone should get fired even though I hated this. I think our urge to overreact as a society lately could use a restrictor plate. The register issued an apology and maybe it should have just been left at that. Carson shouldn’t have had to apologize for something he said as a sophomore in high school. We need to get out of the business of trying to ruin people’s lives in 24 hours for mistakes that aren’t that big of a deal in the long run.

Meh. It’s another nail in the coffin of an institution who’s time has passed. Collateral damage is to be expected while it clings to life.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
Yes. Absolutely right wing if you followed any of the outrage that developed on this. A lot of people who were angry about past incidents when adults got called out for their own racist or otherwise ****** behavior suddenly decided to take up this as their cause when the real problem with this one was that it got into things that he posted as a minor.

This guy followed the process he was supposed to from his employer, and got thrown under the bus.

Could be one segment but pretty much both sides of the fence were pissed about this one. Pointing a political finger in this won’t really work.
I do think he got scapegoated and the leadership at the DMR is hoping it keeps them protected. Complete garbage all around.
I personally don’t like any of this kind of thing. I did enough stupid crap when I was young that I would be in big trouble today had we all had iPhones. I’m betting most on here are in a similar boat.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This entire situation is a debacle and there's a ton of blame to go around. The reporter should never have been hired given his history, and that's true whether he'd ever exposed Carson King's tweets or not.

But the online mob that developed in the wake of the Register story was like nothing I've ever seen, and it hasn't let up even now that the reporter lost his job. Even tonight I'm seeing tweets that essentially say, "It's a shame he got death threats, but..." People have lost their minds.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This really shouldn't be a political issue. The Register and Calvin both screwed up. Reporting on tweets from grade school crossed a line, especially when more recent tweets were a 180 (strongly against racism). Without the public rallying to his side the Carson King story would have ended on a negative note thanks to DMR. It was ironic that he had a bunch of controversial tweets himself. Obviously threats or wishing physical harm are very wrong, but it doesn't mean people have to think positively of him.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This entire situation is a debacle and there's a ton of blame to go around. The reporter should never have been hired given his history, and that's true whether he'd ever exposed Carson King's tweets or not.

But the online mob that developed in the wake of the Register story was like nothing I've ever seen, and it hasn't let up even now that the reporter lost his job. Even tonight I'm seeing tweets that essentially say, "It's a shame he got death threats, but..." People have lost their minds.
Alvin has clearly shown what way he'll bend any story. But he is supposed to be part of the objective media. I think the response is more in part of the wag the dog that consumers have experienced.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
This was a pretty big story nationally. Hopefully this is a start of the end of people trying to dig through tweets that are years old to throw dirt at someone. Its always seemed to stupid to me, whether it came to Carson in this instance, or athletes on draft night where this happens, ect.