A lot of good things yesterday

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
ISU won the game, but didn't exactly "take care of business". See BryceC's post on ISU's RPI drop after last night's game. In college MBB, as far as getting an invitation to post season play goes, it's not only wins that matter, RPI does matter too.

I think our RPI was going to drop after last nite just based on who we were playing (I think someone noted yesterday that Bethune-Cookman had the 3rd worst RPI in the nation - winning by 50 wasn't going to help that scenario). I think if we had actually scheduled this game there'd be something to complain about, but since it was part of a tourney, and considering where this team is at this year, I'm more inclined to say that a win is a win, especially when it was by the margin that it was.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
ISU won the game, but didn't exactly "take care of business". See BryceC's post on ISU's RPI drop after last night's game. In college MBB, as far as getting an invitation to post season play goes, it's not only wins that matter, RPI does matter too.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Margin of Victory has that big of an effect on RPI. It's mostly just playing a team that bad with that low of an RPI hurts your team.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Personally, I don't think it is wise to judge players on these type of games. The hard-working but less-talented players always appear to be better than they really are when you play inferior competition (Peterson, C. Johnson, etal). Unfortunately, when you get back to playing high majors / Big 12 competition these type of guys struggle and then many of you wonder "why doesn't he play like he did against Bethune-Cookman".

I have yet to see C. Johnson significantly struggle in a game... any game. The guy gives us great minutes whenever he comes in. That includes our game last year against Ohio State. Cory seems to be the only guy on our team that can consistently finish around the basket. He's got a real quick release and soft touch on his layups... something I wish he could teach Hubalek.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We must not be watching the same games. His defense was better yesterday against weak competition, but he really struggles on defense and he's finished a lot of games with very few rebounds.

He is a skilled offensive player but has also had his shot blocked several times.

I like CJ and I think he'll be the first post guy off the bench next season. But to say he's never struggled in a game is way off. There is a reason Thompson gets more minutes ahead of him even though he struggles offensively, it's because he plays very good defense and is probably the best post defender on the team.

I do like what all those guys bring to the squad though.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
We must not be watching the same games. His defense was better yesterday against weak competition, but he really struggles on defense and he's finished a lot of games with very few rebounds.

He is a skilled offensive player but has also had his shot blocked several times.

I like CJ and I think he'll be the first post guy off the bench next season. But to say he's never struggled in a game is way off. There is a reason Thompson gets more minutes ahead of him even though he struggles offensively, it's because he plays very good defense and is probably the best post defender on the team.

I do like what all those guys bring to the squad though.

My thoughts exactly. CJ will never be more than a role player unless he finds a way to rebound. He only plays about 10 minutes per game, but 12 rebounds in 9 games isn't going to cut it for an inside guy. I had hoped that a year in the S&C program would help, but he still doesn't seem to win any battles for the ball.

He brings enough on the offensive end to earn the time that he gets. He needs to rebound much better to justify any additional playing time.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think when we press, we need to do it with a lineup of Garret, Haluska, Johnson, Clark, and Brackins. That puts all of our best defenders on the floor, and all guys that can recover quickly.

Cameron Lee might have earned himself some additional playing time.

It felt good to see us impose our will on a weaker team.

Wes J is the cog that makes this team roll. I was and am in the camp that we beat Minny and Bradley if he is healthy, and I still think I was underestimating what he means to the team.

Haluska has been knocking down that pull up 17 footer at the top of the key fairly consistently the past 3 games. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Cory Johnson needs to figure out how to play against guys taller than him. We saw what he can do against teams where he is as tall as the opposing post players. I think he will learn how to use his big body to clear space against taller players. It is a tough adjustment going from being the tallest guy on the floor in high school to being shorter than most players you are playing against. He will put it together though. He has a really soft touch on his jumper, once he learns how to clear space he will be more reliable offensively, and he will also be a better rebounder for it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
CJ looked good last night because he was basically defending a guard at times. He can do ok there against a guy on the dribble - better than Alex or Jiri can.

So if teams go small on us like they did last night, his minutes will increase and he'll likely do well. Few teams that we face are going to be that limited at the post position though.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
Our RPI dropped 11 spots from beating Bethune Cookman by 20. I know McD probably didn't have a choice because of the tournament setup, but we probably should stay away from these god awful teams in the future when we really are fighting for the NCAA's. They are absolute RPI killers.

RPI right now doesn't matter. RPI doesn't matter till feburary, hopefully within a couple years we will be playing for a spot in the tourney come that time.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Personally, I don't think it is wise to judge players on these type of games. The hard-working but less-talented players always appear to be better than they really are when you play inferior competition (Peterson, C. Johnson, etal). Unfortunately, when you get back to playing high majors / Big 12 competition these type of guys struggle and then many of you wonder "why doesn't he play like he did against Bethune-Cookman".
I agree that one should consider the competition, and also, it is only one game. However, I don't believe CJ should be lumped in with "less-talented" players. By some metrics (pointed out in another thread), he's the most effective scorer on the team, and his points haven't come during scrub time. Also, McDermott says he's starting to do things right on defense. He's not Brackins, but he's got talent. Give the guy some credit.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
How can you say RPI does not matter right now? Later in the season, those cheesy non-conference games you played don't just magically disappear.

Does anyone care about the number right now? Not really.

But it certainly does matter - all season.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
cory looked just fine when

he was whipping Oden from Ohio State last yr. CJ is a player that is 10x better when he plays in long stretches, this year, except mon night, he is in only a few minutes here n there.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I have yet to see C. Johnson significantly struggle in a game... any game. The guy gives us great minutes whenever he comes in. That includes our game last year against Ohio State. Cory seems to be the only guy on our team that can consistently finish around the basket. He's got a real quick release and soft touch on his layups... something I wish he could teach Hubalek.

Unfortunately, I don't get to see the Cyclones as much as I would like but everytime I have seen C. Johnson he looks, to me, to be "out of his league". He always seems "frantic" out there.

Clearly, the offensive end is his best end but when he goes against players of equal or bigger size he struggles...witness the 3-9 shooting with no FTs agains Ohio St. last year. Additionally, he is not much of a rebounder...witness his having only 8 rebounds in the first 8 games this year.

By the way, Oden did score 18 (8-15 shooting) and get 9 boards against ISU last year as he was trying to "kick the rust off" coming back from injury...I'm not sure I would use that as an example of how great C. Johnson is (unless, of course, you thought Oden was going to go for 40 and 20)!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
RPI matters if you have a team that can win in the upper half of the Big 12. I love the optimism.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Re: cory looked just fine when

he was whipping Oden from Ohio State last yr. CJ is a player that is 10x better when he plays in long stretches, this year, except mon night, he is in only a few minutes here n there.

Uhh... what? Cory was 3-9 last year in that game with 4 rebounds and four fouls. Oden scored 18 points and was 8-15 from the floor. The game was notable because to that point Oden hadn't shot less than 90% against a team. "Whipping" is really far out there and incorrect.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
This was just the type of game that we needed to get our confidence up. Just a great all around effort on both sides of the ball.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
This was just the type of game that we needed to get our confidence up. Just a great all around effort on both sides of the ball.

I totally agree. Just like somebody else stated "we can worry about it hurting our RPI when we finish in the top half of the Big 12", but right now we just need a win with a good effort.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Nice to see the Cyclone Fanatic tee shirts in the south Cyclone Alley zone. Sweet seats, when they let us come down from the balcony.

I was over there in my CF shirt.. about 6 rows up.. ya it was sweet to get to move down from the balcony.. i was 12 rows up in the balcony.. so i was pumped.. then 3 of us got lucca chants rolling.. it was a good time..

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Lee and Cory Johnson are not our answer to anything. Unless it's plugging in for multiple injuries. I love CJ's attitude but against B12 competition he'll be a bit player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron