a headscratcher or not??? barney cotton to NE

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
What do you mean the head coach does not get to make decisions? He is the head coach. Everyone thinking Tom Osborne is going to be calling the shots is wrong. Tom knows what you have to do to be succesfull and that is let the coaches coach. Osborne might not even be the AD next season. And what I am saying about Mac making Barney run Loney's offense is not specualtions....it is fact. It has been siad by coaches and players alike. Just like Mac was sticking his head into the streagnth and conditioning program which was in shambles and contributed to the poor play of the o'line....once agian...not Barney's fault.

Shaking my head over this one.

OK, so you're saying that Mac was wrong for telling BC what kind of offense to run as well as messing with the S&C program.

At the same time you say that TO knows how to be successful. Everything that I've heard out of Lincoln supports the fact that TO made accepting the naming of Watson as OC and running the west coast offense as conditions for any head coach candidate. Some said no thanks, Pelini called it his dream job. And you accuse Mac of meddling?

TO is repeating the mistakes he made with Solich by dictating who the assistant coaches should be. Pelini is getting to pick his defensive staff, but not so on offense. The surprising thing is that it might work as Pelini knows a thing or two about defense and TO knows a lot more about offense than just the option. Just don't try to tell me or anyone else that BC will have the shackles removed in Lincoln.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
Shaking my head over this one.

OK, so you're saying that Mac was wrong for telling BC what kind of offense to run as well as messing with the S&C program.

At the same time you say that TO knows how to be successful. Everything that I've heard out of Lincoln supports the fact that TO made accepting the naming of Watson as OC and running the west coast offense as conditions for any head coach candidate. Some said no thanks, Pelini called it his dream job. And you accuse Mac of meddling?

TO is repeating the mistakes he made with Solich by dictating who the assistant coaches should be. Pelini is getting to pick his defensive staff, but not so on offense. The surprising thing is that it might work as Pelini knows a thing or two about defense and TO knows a lot more about offense than just the option. Just don't try to tell me or anyone else that BC will have the shackles removed in Lincoln.

Okay - So he put a job description out. Wow - that is just crazy thinking when you are going to interview and hire someone. I am guessing before you got hired at your current job there was a job description for the position you are applying for.

"OK, so you're saying that Mac was wrong for telling BC what kind of offense to run as well as messing with the S&C program."

Yes, that is exaclty what I am saying, when you hire the people you want you let them do there job. You don't see Chiz telling Mcfarland, Bolt, or Shep how to run their Departmants. However, you have to know what you want as a HC....then you hire people with those types of experience. When you hire them you stay out of their way and let them do their job. And if they are not doing their job you fire them and find someone that can. Osborne knew he wanted NU guys coaching and that Defens was an issue with NU this year. Pelini...NU guys, D-Coordinator, and is comeing from a National Championship Run and LSU. Pelini and O decide they want to run a west coast or spread offense....so they hired that type of OC. I am sure when everyone is put into place...and direction is agreed upon by all....then the coaches will be granted autonomy to do what they need to do. You let the coaches coach....period! Maybe TO is setting out a blue print, but he was brought in to rebuld the program. I will bet when the season starts Osborne will step back and get Pelini what ever he needs.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I must be looking at this differently than everyone else - Cotton was brought in to run McCarney's offense - not McCarney brought Cotton in to run whatever offense he chose to run. If Cotton told McCarney he couldn't run his offense McCarney wouldn't have brought him in. Considering that McCarney's more of a defensive guy, yeah, Cotton would have a little bit more latitude, but it's still McCarney's system and Cotton was brought in to run McCarney's offense, not vice versa. The same thing goes with Chizik. It's Chizik's offense, defense, and S&C programs - he brought in the guys who he thinks can run them best.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
Husking corn and picking cotton go hand-in-hand.

Bah dum bum. I'm here all week.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Barney's hands were tied by Mac. Barny Cotton was not the problem. Usually when a HC brings in an OC they bring them in and let them run their offense and and blocking schemes. Mac did not do that. Mac brought Barney in and made him run Steve Loney's offense, or a variation of it, and Loney's blocking schemes. BC was a "liked straight ahead" run blocking and not zone blocking. Mac let BC run his own show in the last game agianst Mizzou and it was the best the o'line played all year. Remember BC was NU's OC under Solich the last season Solich was there, a 9 - 2 season, and Pelini was the DC. BC will get to do what he wants with the o'line and they would be good. It was no secret that Mac Micro-Managed everything so I would not be short-sighted about BC at NU.....NU's oline will be good next season...along with the rest of the team. Pelini is stepping into a good situation. NU strung together 3 or 4 top recruiting classes under Callahan. I can see NU's season next year being like Arizona States this year...

People keep posting this nonsense...So prove where you get your info.

I will tell where I get my info first. My information comes via MY EYES and EARS from what I saw and heard when I was on the team and what I saw and heard when I went up to watch practice after I graduated. In other words my info is first hand.

Now your turn.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Okay - So he put a job description out. Wow - that is just crazy thinking when you are going to interview and hire someone. I am guessing before you got hired at your current job there was a job description for the position you are applying for.

"OK, so you're saying that Mac was wrong for telling BC what kind of offense to run as well as messing with the S&C program."

Yes, that is exaclty what I am saying, when you hire the people you want you let them do there job. You don't see Chiz telling Mcfarland, Bolt, or Shep how to run their Departmants. However, you have to know what you want as a HC....then you hire people with those types of experience. When you hire them you stay out of their way and let them do their job. And if they are not doing their job you fire them and find someone that can. Osborne knew he wanted NU guys coaching and that Defens was an issue with NU this year. Pelini...NU guys, D-Coordinator, and is comeing from a National Championship Run and LSU. Pelini and O decide they want to run a west coast or spread offense....so they hired that type of OC. I am sure when everyone is put into place...and direction is agreed upon by all....then the coaches will be granted autonomy to do what they need to do. You let the coaches coach....period! Maybe TO is setting out a blue print, but he was brought in to rebuld the program. I will bet when the season starts Osborne will step back and get Pelini what ever he needs.

where do u live?

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Mac brought Barney in and made him run Steve Loney's offense, or a variation of it, and Loney's blocking schemes.

That would have been perfectly fine with me. We had our best offenses and O-lines under Loney's tenure. Are regardless of who's scheme it was, it shouldn't have gotten worse as the players aged under BC.

And if BC was actually brought in by Mac to run a scheme he didn't like or didn't believe in, I'm not sure who's dumber. Barney for taking a job to run something he didn't believe in, or Mac for bringing in somebody who's heart and experience wasn't in what they were doing.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It is now announced he is also the associate head coach and will do admin stuff also.