A couple of questions for fellow Vikings fans

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't either. I'm shocked that he not only was re-signed, but that it was a 4-year deal. I LOVE the Michael Griffin pick-up, even if it's just for depth. The leadership and coaching that he and Terrence Newman are providing to this secondary is going to pay off down the road.

Don't sleep on Anthony Harris, either. He was a rookie, and on the practice squad for most of last year, but ended up getting called up late, and even started a couple games. He's got some skills and Zim apparently really likes his reliability to be where he needs to be on the field. It will be interesting to see who sets themselves apart during training camp.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Don't sleep on Anthony Harris, either. He was a rookie, and on the practice squad for most of last year, but ended up getting called up late, and even started a couple games. He's got some skills and Zim apparently really likes his reliability to be where he needs to be on the field. It will be interesting to see who sets themselves apart during training camp.
I forgot about Harris, but if I had to guess, whoever makes the final squad will between him and Kearse is going to be the guy they're trying to build up for the future. Due to the sole fact that will put us at 5/6 Safeties and I don't think we will keep more than that. But I could be wrong.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I forgot about Harris, but if I had to guess, whoever makes the final squad will between him and Kearse is going to be the guy they're trying to build up for the future. Due to the sole fact that will put us at 5/6 Safeties and I don't think we will keep more than that. But I could be wrong.

It depends on the CB position. If Waynes looks good, he might supplant Newman as the starter, freeing him up to be a backup at safety, which I believe he did last year. That might let them have an extra roster spot, but I agree, I think either Harris or Kearse will be cut, and put on the practice squad.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm all in on Teddy and he's not going anywhere for 2 or 3 years, so don't waste a draft pick on a QB.

I think all the fantasy football culture severely underrates him. He doesn't have a high volume of TDs so people think he's not good.

From all the analytical, actual play grading analysts I've seen Teddy last year was just worse than Carr and better than Bortles. And his year 1 was better than both by a mile.

Teddy will never put up stats the average Joe appreciates until the offense is ran through him and not AD. Or if his receivers and OL take a huge step up in play.

Teddy was the most accurate QB in the NFL last year and he is like 2 months older than Rookie QB Carson Wentz.

I think you're being impatient if you think there is a nonzero chance Teddy isn't guaranteed to be the Vikings QB for the next 2 years. That's a lock.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I really like Teddy. I haven't seen a QB that comfortable in the pocket since probably Brad Johnson. The problem with Teddy was that his OL was beat up the majority of the season, especially when Loadholt was out. You couldn't even get through saying "one Mississippi" before a hand was up in Bridgewaters face. I love the free agent signings we made this season on OL and I expect Kalil and probably Patterson will not be resigned, which will clear up some more cap space to either find the best free agent or sign a 1st round tackle. The only knock I have on Teddy is that his deep ball is way too loose. His game is dink-&-dunk short passes and slants which puts more emphasis on receivers making plays, which I think is why Treadwell is going to be a steal.

Yep. And even though he has a below average to average deep ball (really just on vertical throws, his deep crossing routes and out patterns are very very good) he excels in so many other areas.

He's allowed to have a flaw as a 23 year old QB.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm all in on Teddy and he's not going anywhere for 2 or 3 years, so don't waste a draft pick on a QB.

I think all the fantasy football culture severely underrates him. He doesn't have a high volume of TDs so people think he's not good.

From all the analytical, actual play grading analysts I've seen Teddy last year was just worse than Carr and better than Bortles. And his year 1 was better than both by a mile.

Teddy will never put up stats the average Joe appreciates until the offense is ran through him and not AD. Or if his receivers and OL take a huge step up in play.

Teddy was the most accurate QB in the NFL last year and he is like 2 months older than Rookie QB Carson Wentz.

I think you're being impatient if you think there is a nonzero chance Teddy isn't guaranteed to be the Vikings QB for the next 2 years. That's a lock.
I agree that he deserves these next 2 years to make strides to becoming a top-tier QB in the Vikings system. But I think a lot of people are fair when they say this year is a big indicator on what Teddy can be. He doesn't have to have a break out year and be putting up eye-popping stats. But he definitely has to show improvement in areas now that he has a more stable line and better pieces around him to get the job done. But I am on Team Teddy 2-Gloves, and would give him as many years as it takes because I am a big fan of his. That being said, I do think he needs to show some improvement this year to keep people off of his case about being a quality QB.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I agree that he deserves these next 2 years to make strides to becoming a top-tier QB in the Vikings system. But I think a lot of people are fair when they say this year is a big indicator on what Teddy can be. He doesn't have to have a break out year and be putting up eye-popping stats. But he definitely has to show improvement in areas now that he has a more stable line and better pieces around him to get the job done. But I am on Team Teddy 2-Gloves, and would give him as many years as it takes because I am a big fan of his. That being said, I do think he needs to show some improvement this year to keep people off of his case about being a quality QB.

Doesn't that go without saying?

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
It depends on the CB position. If Waynes looks good, he might supplant Newman as the starter, freeing him up to be a backup at safety, which I believe he did last year. That might let them have an extra roster spot, but I agree, I think either Harris or Kearse will be cut, and put on the practice squad.

My bet is that if Griffin doesn't win the job, he gets cut. I could see either Harris or Kearse making the team and the other on the practice squad. I'd bet Zim will have a very hard time putting Kearse on the practice squad (and potentially losing him), as he fits the "long" profile Zim loves for his defenders.

I still can't believe we gave Sendejo that $, but I'm hoping it's because we think he's worth that based on special teams play and as a back-up, versatile safety. He's terrible in coverage. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out - including your point re: Newman going to back-up safety. Wonder who Zim would pick if it comes down to Griffin or Newman. You'd think Newman, but he's much older than Griffin.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My bet is that if Griffin doesn't win the job, he gets cut. I could see either Harris or Kearse making the team and the other on the practice squad. I'd bet Zim will have a very hard time putting Kearse on the practice squad (and potentially losing him), as he fits the "long" profile Zim loves for his defenders.

I still can't believe we gave Sendejo that $, but I'm hoping it's because we think he's worth that based on special teams play and as a back-up, versatile safety. He's terrible in coverage. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out - including your point re: Newman going to back-up safety. Wonder who Zim would pick if it comes down to Griffin or Newman. You'd think Newman, but he's much older than Griffin.

We're also not mentioning Exum, who will have a chance to prove himself again in training camp. I would say, however, that he's on the most likely to be cut list.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Doesn't that go without saying?
Which part? haha. Because I think there are 2 types of vikings fans. Some that are skeptical and some that are optimistic about Teddy. The skepticals, which also includes most analysts, want him to show that his is top-tier this year. Then there are a lot of fans, that think just the ability to show something more, but nothing insane this year is acceptable.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Completely forgot about him. I think he has a solid shot at making the final roster.

Possibly. Last year they kept 4 safeties, but called up Harris from the practice squad later in the year.

Harrison Smith is one. Sendejo is one, because of his contract. So, it likely Griffin, Kearse, Exum, and Harris for probably 2 spots. Interesting to see how it goes.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Which part? haha. Because I think there are 2 types of vikings fans. Some that are skeptical and some that are optimistic about Teddy. The skepticals, which also includes most analysts, want him to show that his is top-tier this year. Then there are a lot of fans, that think just the ability to show something more, but nothing insane this year is acceptable.

Well I like to put on my thinking cap, look at what he did last year and the year before in context, look at his line and his receivers, look at how is interceptions came and his accuracy in all separate areas, and then factor in the fact that he's 23 and predict that I think he'll do very well this year. And that he has done very well all things considered the past 2 years.

I prefer that to the idea of "Well if you want me to think you're good you're gonna have to put up good stats" line of thinking that is totally based on hindsight. And to expect a 3rd year QB to put up "insane" numbers in an offense where he might only throw 450 passes all season is....well... insane.

I'd argue there are two types of fans: Average Joes and analyticals. Those who just look at yards, TDs, and INTs vs those who care if a good pass was tipped by a WR or care if a wide open TD was dropped. Or if the QB got smashed after 1 second in the pocket and never had a chance on that key 3rd down conversion.

Teddy has been a replacement level QB on deep vertical passes and has put up great numbers for a 2nd year player at all other levels of passing, to the point that his accuracy numbers are #1 in the NFL. And say what you will about short passes, but the Vikings certainly don't run the screens and the dink n dunk offense that many do in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-crazy-stats-from-the-2015-nfl-season/

Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater was the most accurate passer this season.

[FONT=&amp]Ever since the Louisville pro day debacle before the 2014 draft, critics have been out in full force on Teddy. He’s too slender. He’s weak-armed. His release point is too low. His traditional stats haven’t helped him much, either. 30 games in to his career (including a playoff game), Teddy has 28 touchdowns, 21 interceptions and a passer rating of 87.0.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]What the traditional stats don’t show, however, is just how accurate Bridgewater is. The Viking led the NFL in 2015 with an accuracy percentage of 79.3. While this number is inflated by the large amount of short throws required by the Minnesota offense, it is no small feat to be the most accurate in the league. In fact, Teddy scored his best passing grades on throws between 10–19 yards, and broke even on throws over 20 yards.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]You have to wonder if Bridgewater’s modest touchdown and yardage totals are more a product of the Vikings’ offensive style, rather than an indictment of the QB’s abilities.

[/FONT]
On the "most analysts" bit I believe those guys are mostly there to talk to the average joe who doesn't want to go deeper than fantasy stats. That's where these shows make their money and where they pull ratings in. There's a much smaller market for nuanced analysis that really goes into what happens on every play. [FONT=&amp][/FONT]

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Official Vikings web site actually just posted an article today titled "10 Hidden Stats About 2015 Minnesota Vikings" to further your point, Rhoadhoused:

[FONT=&quot]— Quarterback [/FONT]Teddy Bridgewater[FONT=&quot] improved in a number of categories in his second year as Minnesota’s starter. But he was in elite company in regards to a particular stat.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Of the quarterbacks who started at least eight games in each of the last two seasons (meaning someone like Colts quarterback Andrew Luck isn’t included due to injuries), Bridgewater was one of four quarterbacks to improve completion percentage and cut down on the number of interceptions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bridgewater’s completion percentage rose from 64.4 to 65.3 and he reduced his interception total from 14 to nine. The 23-year-old joined Cam Newton, Tom Brady and Andy Dalton as the only quarterbacks to accomplish that over the past two seasons.[/FONT]

http://www.vikings.com/news/article...-Vikings/2ebf8bff-ac6a-4c2a-bbb7-5f4d3bb549d7

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Getting away from the Teddy talk... What are your expectations for the Vikings this year? There's a part of me that thinks the team is really ready to compete, but I'm not sure they are there just yet. It would be great to see them win the North again and then just go from there.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Getting away from the Teddy talk... What are your expectations for the Vikings this year? There's a part of me that thinks the team is really ready to compete, but I'm not sure they are there just yet. It would be great to see them win the North again and then just go from there.

Playoffs, top 5 D, top 15 scoring offense, win a playoff game. That's my expectation.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I predict the Vikings will break my heart for the 47th straight year.