5% Tuition Jump Just a Start

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Some engineering, nursing and business students at Iowa’s three public universities would face steeper tuition increases than the average 5 percent base hike proposed for other undergraduates, university officials said Thursday.
During a meeting in Iowa City, the presidents of Iowa State University, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa asked the Board of Regents to raise tuition by an average of 5 percent for resident undergraduates for the academic year that begins next fall. However, double-digit increases are proposed for some programs that university officials say are more expensive to deliver instruction and student services.
The board will vote in March on the proposal, which officials called critical to maintain the quality of education offered at the universities after several years of state budget cuts.
Regent Michael Gartner of Des Moines called it “extremely misleading†for university officials to say tuition would go up by 5 percent when it would jump dramatically more for some students.
“That’s just the beginning,†Gartner said. “We’re talking about an increase for some people that ranges as high as 40 percent.â€
The highest increase would be for the U of I’s incoming freshman nursing majors, who would pay 41.4 more than freshmen did this year. Sophomore U of I engineering students would see their tuition jump by 21 percent. Tuition for juniors and seniors studying agricultural systems technology at ISU would jump 14.6 percent. And some UNI business students would pay 11.3 percent more.

5 percent tuition jump just a start, regent warns | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Jeesh. Most of the university's funding is private. They should try to seek more private/corporate gifts to compensate for such a dramatic increase in tuition. Pretty soon there will be a lot more kids out there that can't afford even a state university in Iowa, and will choose to enter the workforce instead of continuing their education.

We need a more educated workforce heading into the future, not less.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Even more incentive to graduate next year instead of dragging it out an extra semester.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I'm sure glad that I graduated last spring. I have enough student loans the way it is.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Jeesh. Most of the university's funding is private. They should try to seek more private/corporate gifts to compensate for such a dramatic increase in tuition.

No it's not. Most of the funding comes from tuition and then state appropriations (taxpayers).
As far as external funding, the U.S Dept of Energy is the number one source to ISU, followed by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture and the National Science Foundation. All three are tax-supported federal agencies.
Then comes the ISU Foundation - private money.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
tuition is just like housing....it goes up every year.

wait a second....

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This is the same story as eveyrwhere in the country. The general thought is we need a more educated workforce in order to compete. I do not disagree with that. But we are actually seeing increases in tuition based on the supply/demand economic model. Everyone now knows that college is a must, and everyone has been able to raise the rates because there is so much demand for this higher level of education. You have D3 schools that are now getting close to the cost of Ivy League insitutes.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
tuition is just like housing....it goes up every year.

wait a second....
This is an excellent comparison, and will be the next crisis IMO. You had people taking on loans they couldn't afford for houses that were very overpriced. You are going to start seeing students taking on loans that they will have to default on for education that was far overpriced.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
This is sad. Student needs seem to be an afterthought these days. :sad:

Its true. The State does not support its Universities the same way it used to (and this is true for many other states as well). Education is not the priority it once was.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa public University's are a bargain --- it's about time the students started to really ante-up.

Its been going on for quite some time if you were paying attention. They have been anteing up more year after year. From the time my brother started in '96, to the time I graduated in '05, the cost of tuition and fees basically doubled.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Iowa public University's are a bargain --- it's about time the students started to really ante-up.
Oh really? This disagrees:

studentdebtbystate.jpg

Iowa's public Universities are among the crappiest in terms of financial aid vs cost of attendance.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This is sad. Student needs seem to be an afterthought these days. :sad:

This is what I tell the Iowa St foundation every time they call me asking for money. You treated me like a number while I was in school, and did not give a crap whether or not I graduated, and NOW you want my money?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Its true. The State does not support its Universities the same way it used to (and this is true for many other states as well). Education is not the priority it once was.

And an Iowa taxpayer might ask:
1. Why do we need duplicate sets of administration, like presidents and all those VP's, at all three regents universities?
2. Why do we need duplicate colleges/departments like business, engineering, etc. at both ISU and U of I?

People don't want to make hard decisions about our universities' duplication; instead, the just protect their own campuses like kingdoms - this doesn't lend itself to credibility with the public.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And an Iowa taxpayer might ask:
1. Why do we need duplicate sets of administration, like presidents and all those VP's, at all three regents universities?
2. Why do we need duplicate colleges/departments like business, engineering, etc. at both ISU and U of I?

People don't want to make hard decisions about our universities' duplication; instead, the just protect their own campuses like kingdoms - this doesn't lend itself to credibility with the public.
I have a better question...why do we need the Regents?

I can understand each school having their own President. Its not like Illinois, Bradley, Illinois State, etc. all have one President.

And now they're so far in the game they don't have the infrastructure at a single university to allow for all of the (for example) business departments to merge. I'm still trying to figure out why UNI exists for anything but teachers. You can lump their business crap in with Iowa and Iowa State, and the same with all the liberal arts stuff.

Iowa State isn't any better within the institution with duplication. For example, why can't marketing and advertising be one major? They finally got supply chain management figured out. Why does Iowa State carry majors that graduate single digits of people each year? Why does each college need a separate career services offices? Why does the College of Business for example need a communications lab? Do we not have an English department?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron