deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Plus, two more in-state rivalries. Although that's the now-seemingly-unimportant "fan interest" aspect, not the money part.
They want rivalries with big brands they just don't give a **** about ones like the Apple Bowl or the Iowa-ISU game. They'd love a Clemson-South Carolina conference rivalry or Clemson-Georgia.

Reactions: CyTwister

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Pretty sure it's just a lie for a story.

Or ESPN doesn't want to get another cease and desist letter and is trying to avoid another leak like what happened with the SEC/Big 12.

I'm not saying this is true necessarily but they will be much more careful this time around.

I think the SEC and Clemson/FSU want this, they are just going to wait to see how it shakes out for OU/UT.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
They want rivalries with big brands they just don't give a **** about ones like the Apple Bowl or the Iowa-ISU game. They'd love a Clemson-South Carolina conference rivalry or Clemson-Georgia.
Which is too bad because some of the best rivalry games to watch are the ones that don't involve blue bloods. BYU-Utah, the Apple Cup as you mentioned, Oregon-Oregon State, ect.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I wonder how many schools would have to leave the ACC to make their GOR null? Would Miami, Clemson, FSU, leave? Yeah probably. Virgnia Tech? How does Notre Dame fit into the GOR? Would those 5 schools be enough to cancel the GOR?
Or maybe it is football merger of the SEC and ACC and they re-division everyone?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I've been told that Mizzou has, like, millions of incredible and passionate fans (with tens of thousands of teeth...).
God I heart that joke. Got a lot of mileage out of it at a reunion in Bella Vista, AR couple weeks ago...

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com

Please tell me why all these rumors might not be an opportunity for the remaining 8 and Bowlsby to create our own version of a super conference? E.g., add Clemson, FSU, Cincinnati, UCF, Washington, Oregon, UCLA & USC (team that seem to be sniffing around for opportunities other than what they currently have) for two 8 team divisions as follows:

Eastern Division: WVA, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, UCF (or UNC), ISU, KS, KState (all FB schools)
Western Division: WA, OR, UCLA, USC, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor

Each team play the other 7 in their division every year, play 3 cross division opponents each year (rotating such yearly) and 2 non-conference games.

Or, could you go to two 9 team divisions as follows:

Eastern Division: WVA, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, VA Tech, ISU, KS, KState
Western Division: WA, OR, UCLA, USC, Utah, CO, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor

Each team play the other 8 in their division every year, play 2 cross division opponents each year (rotating such yearly) and 2 non-conference games.

Seems as though this would catch a lot of the large TV markets nationwide with some interesting matchups.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I wonder how many schools would have to leave the ACC to make their GOR null? Would Miami, Clemson, FSU, leave? Yeah probably. Virgnia Tech? How does Notre Dame fit into the GOR? Would those 5 schools be enough to cancel the GOR?
Or maybe it is football merger of the SEC and ACC and they re-division everyone?

Yeah but I though the whole point was SEC cherry picking the best programs for their exclusive NFL Lite?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Jay Bilas pitched an ACC/SEC merger in a commentary on ESPN.com last week. I think it's wishful thinking on his part, as he didn't explain how it would make financial sense. It made sense to him because of great natural rivalries - GA v GA Tech, FL State v Florida, Clemson v USC. There may be some fire to this report as I would think Bilas is pretty connected from an ACC & ESPN standpoint.

Florida State's outgoing President has already stated that they won't be left behind, and didn't seem overly concerned about the GOR. So I bet FSU and Clemson did approach the SEC either about a conference merger or just taking a few schools. What's the worst that can happen- the SEC says no.

IMO any moves by Clemson and FL State to join the SEC are also to see if they can enrich the ACC Network contract. If the Big12 dissolves, ESPN has an extra $200+M to throw the ACC's way.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Yeah but I though the whole point was SEC cherry picking the best programs for their exclusive NFL Lite?
It would get you to 30 plus teams and you need fodder. I just can't see ESPN not trying to get Miami, FSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Please tell me why all these rumors might not be an opportunity for the remaining 8 and Bowlsby to create our own version of a super conference? E.g., add Clemson, FSU, Cincinnati, UCF, Washington, Oregon, UCLA & USC (team that seem to be sniffing around for opportunities other than what they currently have) for two 8 team divisions as follows:

Eastern Division: WVA, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, UCF (or UNC), ISU, KS, KState (all FB schools)
Western Division: WA, OR, UCLA, USC, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor

Each team play the other 7 in their division every year, play 3 cross division opponents each year (rotating such yearly) and 2 non-conference games.

Or, could you go to two 9 team divisions as follows:

Eastern Division: WVA, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, VA Tech, ISU, KS, KState
Western Division: WA, OR, UCLA, USC, Utah, CO, OSU, TCU, Tech, Baylor

Each team play the other 8 in their division every year, play 2 cross division opponents each year (rotating such yearly) and 2 non-conference games.

Seems as though this would catch a lot of the large TV markets nationwide with some interesting matchups.

Bowlsby doesn't have the creativity nor mental processing power to pull of a move like that. His stand last week was the one shining moment of his entire life.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Woman claims I'm having an affair with her. I tell my wife of course it's not true.

So based on this analogy, you're saying that FSU and Clemson are definitely talking to the SEC? Or are you saying that they're definitely talking to 3 conferences?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Because we would rather be in a conference with Virginia Tech and NC State than with Memphis and Cincinnati.

If the ACC loses clemson and (to a lesser extent) fsu, the ACC is dead, just like the big 12 is without OU and Texass. Those conferences could stick together and keep the names ACC and Big 12 but no one nationally would give two ***** about either conference, most importantly ESPN and/or FOX. A football conference that lacks blue bloods will bring half the money they currently bring in and will get zero media coverage. Sure, the "irate 8" can stick together and keep the big 12 going but it would be continually devalued on the national scale, the money won't be there for its members and it will slowly become irrelevant on the national scale. Hell no one gives a **** about the pac-12 and that conference has way bigger brands than anyone left in the big 12.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the worst for ISU here. Just don't know that ISU brings enough money to the table for any conference to jump at the opportunity to scoop us up.

Reactions: 20eyes

20eyes

May 15, 2020
If the ACC loses clemson and (to a lesser extent) fsu, the ACC is dead, just like the big 12 is without OU and Texass. Those conferences could stick together and keep the names ACC and Big 12 but no one nationally would give two ***** about either conference, most importantly ESPN and/or FOX. A football conference that lacks blue bloods will bring half the money they currently bring in and will get zero media coverage. Sure, the "irate 8" can stick together and keep the big 12 going but it would be continually devalued on the national scale, the money won't be there for its members and it will slowly become irrelevant on the national scale. Hell no one gives a **** about the pac-12 and that conference has way bigger brands than anyone left in the big 12.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the worst for ISU here. Just don't know that ISU brings enough money to the table for any conference to jump at the opportunity to scoop us up.
I would just add that I fear the worst for college football. Whatever it is that ESPN is trying to do to CFB...if they succeed, it'll kill it.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm pretty sure Nebraska and A&M was denied for a week or two before it was a thing.

Yeah, and if you remember, even Texas said, “We will not address rumors or speculation.” Obviously not a denial, but certainly not, "OK, you caught us, we're leaving."