New Mexico first state to say no high school football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Bummer. I feel like most smaller schools recruit athletes during their senior year. I'm sure a lot of kids get scholarship money for colleges they might not attend otherwise due to that year of play. Just a shame the effects of this.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
FineSlimBushsqueaker-small.gif

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don't see that helping with anything.

High school kids here couldn't work out together until July 6th for fall sports, but all summer before that they were playing pick up basketball, baling hay, kayaking/canoeing/tubing, going to pool parties, hanging out at each other's houses, etc all together. Buuuuut we had to make sure the weight room is closed until July 6th for their safety.

Teens will congregate and spread the virus anywhere they are at, so I don't see this measure making any impact at all.

Reactions: Royalclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Premature, IMO.

How so? As a former HS football coach, I would rather know now that we were not going to have a season, than bust my rear end preparing for a season, or even start practice and then have it cancelled.
Since I no longer coach, I really don't care one way or another, it sucks for the kids, but how many would not be allowed to play this year anyway because of the virus?

Until we change the rule to only the infected kid has to sit out, instead of the whole team for 14 days, we can never have a season. Better to make this decision now, than in 3 weeks when practice is gearing up and getting underway.
Today Iowa announced 744 new cases, its getting worse out there not better, and this virus is going to be with us for awhile.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't see that helping with anything.

High school kids here couldn't work out together until July 6th for fall sports, but all summer before that they were playing pick up basketball, baling hay, kayaking/canoeing/tubing, going to pool parties, hanging out at each other's houses, etc all together. Buuuuut we had to make sure the weight room is closed until July 6th for their safety.

Teens will congregate and spread the virus anywhere they are at, so I don't see this measure making any impact at all.

Good points but did any of those include any sort of legal adult supervision or liability.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
How so? As a former HS football coach, I would rather know now that we were not going to have a season, than bust my rear end preparing for a season, or even start practice and then have it cancelled.
Since I no longer coach, I really don't care one way or another, it sucks for the kids, but how many would not be allowed to play this year anyway because of the virus?

Until we change the rule to only the infected kid has to sit out, instead of the whole team for 14 days, we can never have a season. Better to make this decision now, than in 3 weeks when practice is gearing up and getting underway.
Today Iowa announced 744 new cases, its getting worse out there not better, and this is virus is going to be with for awhile.

They should change the rule.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Good points but did any of those include any sort of legal adult supervision or liability.

I'm sure not. Is there liability if someone happens to die from a football-related injury? I'm not sure how all that works but there is already a certain amount of risk and liability in playing football before considering the vrius.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm sure not. Is there liability if someone happens to die from a football-related injury? I'm not sure how all that works but there is already a certain amount of risk and liability in playing football before considering the vrius.

There would definitely be an investigation if a kid died at practice due to a football related injury to check for safety measures, etc.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Liability is a word that is leading to a whole lot of overreaction.

Sure it is, we live in a sue first culture, so schools and coaches always have to be ready to defend what they are doing. Best case practices, they tell us.
Say some kid is playing and get the virus, and is permanently injured or dies from it, do you think the parents are going to just sit there and say, "its Gods will" and let it go, hell no, they will be suing the coaches, the school and everyone else involved.
For many the risk is not worth it, until they get some guidance from the state that they can use as a reason for having a season, many will not be playing.

Yes there is liability if a player is seriously injured or killed while at practice or in a game. I know of coaches that were taping when they went through the helmet warning about leading with your head and becoming paralyzed from a blow to the head. We cut out saying phrasing, like "get your head in their", because of liability issues if a player was hurt or injured. Today if a kid get a blow to the head, by state mandate he must leave the game or practice and cannot return unless cleared by a doctor.
Safety is in everything now, everyone is afraid of getting sued.

Last edited:

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Sure it is, we live in a sue first culture, so schools and coaches always have to be ready to defend what they are doing. Best case practices, they tell us.
Say some kid is playing and get the virus, and is permanently injured or dies from it, do you think the parents are going to just sit there and say, "its Gods will" and let it go, hell no, they will be suing the coaches, the school and everyone else involved.
For many the risk is not worth it, until they get some guidance from the state that they can use as a reason for having a season, many will not be playing.

If that is the mentality of the player/their family, they shouldnt participate in the first place. Dont most, if not all, schools require the signing of a participation waiver? Language could be added to include COVID to those.

Reactions: heitclone

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I would rather prepare and be ready to play if it's possible rather than pull the plug early and then find out later that rules, guidance and positive tests changed and you could have played. If they have to pull the plug right before the season then fine.

Reactions: heitclone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I don't see how we can open schools back up, then. Wouldn't the standard be the same for a student that just attended class and had these issues vs getting the disease while at football?

Same goes for stores, restaurants, parks, etc - if people don't have the ability to make the decision themselves and live with the consequences in football, how is it different for anything else that is opened up?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Yeah, I'm a big fan of individual responsibility, and with something like this, there is no way to definitively determine where exposure happened. Liability should be legally limited, and those who want to participate should sign a waiver. I think this would solve a lot of issues.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I think this is inevitable. I mean let's think about high school football, the benefits and risks along with potential mitigations as it relates to the virus.

Risks:
Team and staff could infect each other, along with students at the school. This can be mitigated partially by having the kids social distance, but this is high school. You can't put the kids in anything like a "bubble". They're living at home with their families, who are also likely not living in a "bubble." No real way to mitigate risk of the players themselves being infected outside the game, then passing it along through the game.

Fans at events could cause large scale spreading of the virus. This could be mitigated by having games without fans. However, since the games aren't televised, is there a point to playing them?

I think in order to play responsibly, you must do it without fans.

Benefits (Fanless Games):
Players gain the psychological benefits of playing in team sports, get exercise, etc.
Players have fun by playing the game they love.

So, is it worth it to play a game without fans at the high school level? I don't think that playing games without fans significantly increases the risk of spreading the virus, assuming the kids are having school in person. But, what's the gain of doing it?

My guess is that high school sports will not happen this year because there's at least some risk without much real benefit, with the possible exception of individual sports like track, swimming, or cross country. I think if next year rolls around and we're in the same place we are now in terms of the virus, then we will have sports again despite the risk because the long term negatives of eliminating team sports for multiple years are worth the risk.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If that is the mentality of the player/their family, they shouldnt participate in the first place. Dont most, if not all, schools require the signing of a participation waiver? Language could be added to include COVID to those.

I have been told those waivers mean nothing in a court of law by school lawyers. They look and sound good, but in reality, they mean little to nothing.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't see how we can open schools back up, then. Wouldn't the standard be the same for a student that just attended class and had these issues vs getting the disease while at football?

Same goes for stores, restaurants, parks, etc - if people don't have the ability to make the decision themselves and live with the consequences in football, how is it different for anything else that is opened up?

yikes this is getting dicey now. These are minor children were talking about at this level. At some point the empathy to give a **** about these kids long term health has to take precedence.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Sure its the same, the difference is the political pressure being applied to open up schools, so parents can return to work. That same political pressure is not being applied to playing sports.

As a teacher, I think we will start the school year, we currently are planning 2 days on, Wednesday online and clean everything, and then 2 more days on. But we also realize the first case of the virus in the school, we will shut down and go entirely online.
The Wednesday cleaning will be used to lessen liability if the school is sued for a child getting the virus. Always remember the phrase "best practices".