KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I'm no hero, but you would think dealing with your own would be easier than dealing with 28 at a time that aren't yours. It's good for parents, me included, to witness their own children in a learning environment. My advice is to set schedules and stick to them.

Reactions: Doc

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Have a 5 and 7 yr old at home now. My wife had always been WFH and I started WFH a little over a week ago. Luckily my wife's work has dramatically slowed down so she can help with the eLearning from school. But even with that I am finding it is better to get up around 3am to work and get 4-5 hrs in before the little ones start stirring and coming in to see what is going on. Plus a lot less emails and IM's at that hour so I can focus better...

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
For those looking for curriculum for their k-12 kid, look at Khan Academy. I spent some time on Sunday going over it with my 7th & 11th graders. Their classes and subject topics are pretty close to what my kids were doing. Each subject has an assessment test, so I had them do the assessments, then each day they will spend 45-60 minutes on each subject covering the sections they tested poorly on.

Today was the first day trying it, so I have no idea how long I can pull this off, but neither is a huge fan of school and they both admitted it wasn't too bad. I have no idea how much of this they will retain, but I figure worst case, at least they will recognize the topics should they see them next year.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Mixed family situation here. I have an 8 year old daughter and my SO has 3 daughters, 5 yr old twins and a 7 yr old. 8 yr old can pretty much entertain herself. 7yr old is pretty good too. The 5 year old twins are a constant distraction. They are emotional messes and constantly upset with each other and seemingly unable to do anything themselves. I barely got anything done today.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Daughter in 8th and son in 6th and both wife and I working from home all last week plus some vacation time mixed in. Honestly overall I have loved it. Been able to keep up well enough at work. There are some moments where the kids get into it, but they've always been the best friends and worst enemies at the same time, so sort of what I expected. Luckily the weather is getting better and they spend lots of time playing basketball. Did make them do some reading and makeshift schoolwork to get the neurons firing a bit. No elearning yet. They get a few stints of XBox live with cousins and friends but we try to keep it from being too much.
I can see how people with younger kids and high stress job are having a tough time.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
4 kids: 14, 12, 10 and 3. I am working from home. My wife works from home part time and has always homeschooled the older kids. The oldest is awesome - wakes up, grabs his stuff, works through it in a few hours, then chills the rest of the day. The 12 year old is getting better, but needs a lot of prompting to get started. Once started, she does well. The 10 year old is terrible - constantly fights us to do her work, and sometimes lies about having done it. The 3 year old just watches Sesame Street and plays cause he's 3. I'm generally able to block out the TV and get work done, and we alternate feeding the toddler. The others prefer to fend for themselves with light supervision.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Couple of tips from a school counselor with 335 Kindergarten and 1st grade students.
The beginning of every school year we teachers tell ourselves to set boundaries early and stick to them. Your kids are testing you out in the early stages. The most important thing is to follow through. If you don't your kids will learn that what you say doesn't really matter all the time. It will take time, some longer than others, but eventually the kids will know mom and dad mean what they are saying.

Expect outbursts when you are implementing these new rules. Your kids are thinking that they will push you until you let them break the rules. Your job is to be direct and unemotional. "I am sorry you feel that way, but those are the rules."

Celebrate and reward success/ following the rules. Extra Fortnite time is your friend here. Teach them that if they listen, they get what they want. You would be surprised how hard a kid will work for $5 here and there.

I was all set to teach lessons daily and post them online, until we were all told no new learning by admin. It is in violation of FAPE if we are delivering new instruction that not all of our students have access to. So instead I am allowed to share one resource a week.....Cool.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I was all set to teach lessons daily and post them online, until we were all told no new learning by admin. It is in violation of FAPE if we are delivering new instruction that not all of our students have access to. So instead I am allowed to share one resource a week.....Cool.

I was so frustrated when I found this out. So ridiculous that the state actually went so far as to make that a law.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
For those looking for curriculum for their k-12 kid, look at Khan Academy. I spent some time on Sunday going over it with my 7th & 11th graders. Their classes and subject topics are pretty close to what my kids were doing. Each subject has an assessment test, so I had them do the assessments, then each day they will spend 45-60 minutes on each subject covering the sections they tested poorly on.

Today was the first day trying it, so I have no idea how long I can pull this off, but neither is a huge fan of school and they both admitted it wasn't too bad. I have no idea how much of this they will retain, but I figure worst case, at least they will recognize the topics should they see them next year.
I'm "working" from home and am using the KA at-home schedule they provide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...huVCUbh_-P-WmksHAzbsrk9d/pub#kix.ow2y2mp5ko1s
My 3 kids (16, 14, and 10) really resisted the idea when I told them about it but they didn't think it was so bad after the first day. We modified to fit their needs (and desires). It works out well as I can log in as their KA parent and see exactly what they are working on...how much time they put in and on what.

Reactions: somecyguy

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I used that as my guide as well. I made a simple daily schedule in google docs for both kid with the links to each subject. I added BBC's historical figure section for my 7th grader's reading and grammar. He reads about a person and writes a summary of it. Then both kids do a little with code.org as both are interested in computers and websites, so a little computer science helps keeps them entertained. My junior was supposed to take his ACT today, so I have him doing free study guides with the expectation that he will likely take it this summer or fall.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I used that as my guide as well. I made a simple daily schedule in google docs for both kid with the links to each subject. I added BBC's historical figure section for my 7th grader's reading and grammar. He reads about a person and writes a summary of it. Then both kids do a little with code.org as both are interested in computers and websites, so a little computer science helps keeps them entertained. My junior was supposed to take his ACT today, so I have him doing free study guides with the expectation that he will likely take it this summer or fall.
Did you see the SAT practice course on KA?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Got a college freshman home from CU-Boulder. E-learning rest of semester. High school kid is also e-learning indefinitely.

Last year I was separated from family for most of the summer during a cross-country move. Then as soon as they got here, oldest kid had to head off to college. Feel like this is allowing us to make up some lost time.

• Friendly
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
If you’ve got younger ones who are artistically inclined, check out Mo Willems Lunch Doodles.

He’s a children’s author/artist and is doing a video everyday to keep kids engaged while they are at home.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron