CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If the economy holds together at all, the banking industry should be showing some huge profits in the next year. Saw WFC put 3 billion in loan loss reserves, that is considered a loss when they do it. If the loans don't flop and you get back to normal with only a third in that area, you can pull 2 billion out and that then shows as profit.

Earnings management 101.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Earnings management 101.

With banking, many times it government regulations 101. They change requirements, make you look like you are way worse or better then you are and the. 3 years later they change it back and you show the opposite. Gets frustrating playing their games. Should say got since I’m no longer in that area.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I still don't understand this, but so far for 2020, I am up 2%, basically gained enough to offset the entire plunge already. This makes no sense. 401k balance is the highest ever. I guess thanks to the fed.

A tech heavy portfolio could easily look like that return. Amazon made new highs today. Tesla is back into nosebleed territory after furloughing a bunch of employees. I've been adding DOW puts and I doubled my Autozone short today.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
With banking, many times it government regulations 101. They change requirements, make you look like you are way worse or better then you are and the. 3 years later they change it back and you show the opposite. Gets frustrating playing their games. Should say got since I’m no longer in that area.

Wells Fargo was on saying they have changed the loan loss accounting. Something about having to look at the total life of loan estimates versus some lessor time length previously.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I still don't understand this, but so far for 2020, I am up 2%, basically gained enough to offset the entire plunge already. This makes no sense. 401k balance is the highest ever. I guess thanks to the fed.

Wait, I thought you were all out until it got down to 15k?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wait, I thought you were all out until it got down to 15k?

Yeah I bought 30% in at 18.9K, and then another 10ish percent when it went up to 19.5K just in case. FOMO was too strong to wait.

Been buying small things inside my IRA like UAL too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bos

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
reason for futures up:
Investors have confidence in Trump
Promising signs from anti viral meds and vaccines.

Reactions: cyfan21

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Speculation, or do you have any sources or evidence of this? Not singling you out, just looking for information. The other COVID threads contain very little useful information.
From yahoo finance:
After market close Thursday, STAT reported that a Gilead (GILD) antiviral treatment was driving “rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms” for individuals with COVID-19. Gilead’s stock jumped more than 14% in late trading.

Improving prospects for a vaccine – which other health-care giants including Johnson & Johnson have also been racing to develop – sparked a surge in optimism among equity trader. The SPY exchange-traded fund (SPY) tracking the S&P 500 jumped more than 2% in late trading following the report.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Like 4 straight weeks of depression era unemployment numbers and the market went up every day that they were reported?

This should give everyone a clear indication of the true relationship between the stock market and the actual strength of the economy.

I’m sure it won’t. But it was obvious for the last decade, and this should confirm it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This was nothing more than a Hedge Fund playing games and buying call options that expire today

And for goodness sake if you didnt sell the Tesla bubble... sell the echo.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Like 4 straight weeks of depression era unemployment numbers and the market went up every day that they were reported?
I think the market will still tank again sometime before the end of the summer. It might not drop fast, but how stable could it be with mass unemployment, and the economy shrinking significantly. I think a lot of investors just assume things will go back to normal soon.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Government data just announced that 5.5% of mortgages are now in forbearance. And something like 7.5% of FHA loans. That is gigantic. That alone could wipe out the economy. One month might be recoverable but more than 2 months and I doubt those people ever catch up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron