2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maryland gives up 73 points per game but have tightened up (or played worse teams) at end of season as they averaged giving up 64 points in the last 10 games. They average 78 ppg but dropped to 72 over last 10 games. They went 7-3 in last 10 games to play their way into NCAA (12-10 at the time).

Our defense is probably better than they saw, so I will go with 70 points being the magic number. If we score over 70 we win, if under 70 it will be up for grabs.

They haven't played much defense the last few years. Some of the games with Iowa, prior to this season, were crazy high scoring no defense shootouts. Frese has the athletes to play better defense and last year they seemed to be able to but only situationally, not as a game long emphasis. You probably have ID'd why they rallied enough to make the dance, better defense.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
At the 1/3 point of this season, I thought this young ISU squad was destined to finish 7th or 8th in conference, likely recipient of a WNIT bid. I wasn't alone. Since that point, they've really stepped up their game with an occasional speed bump in the road. They've already over-achieved and anything from here on is frosting on the cake!

I'm really excited about our draw and the opportunity for the young ladies to take it to a new level. Maryland is a great opponent and we have no reason to fear Stanford - we've gone head to head with Texas twice! This is awesome and I can't wait for Friday night! Go State!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
At the 1/3 point of this season, I thought this young ISU squad was destined to finish 7th or 8th in conference, likely recipient of a WNIT bid. I wasn't alone. Since that point, they've really stepped up their game with an occasional speed bump in the road. They've already over-achieved and anything from here on is frosting on the cake!

I'm really excited about our draw and the opportunity for the young ladies to take it to a new level. Maryland is a great opponent and we have no reason to fear Stanford - we've gone head to head with Texas twice! This is awesome and I can't wait for Friday night! Go State!

If we can get past Maryland I would love for a national audience to get to see Crooks versus Brinks. Don't think anyone could doubt that Audi would really want this to. Brinks is defensive star and Stanford is a big "name". Downside is Stanford is a really good defensive team which is historically ISU kryptonite. They shutdown USC's JuJu Watkins but the rest of the Trojans stepped up to win that Pac-12 title game.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@brentblum

We didn't play Michigan St. and Stanford in Stanford's gym in 2009 (and I was there).

We played those games in Berkeley.

You can see me in the band from the reverse angle of Alison hittin' that baller three.

:D

Reactions: NWICY and Frog

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

7:14 Brenda started talking about BF and his philosophy. She also said that it took her 22 years in Maryland to finally face BF.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

7:14 Brenda started talking about BF and his philosophy. She also said that it took her 22 years in Maryland to finally face BF.

Ironically Brenda talks about their tough schedule but they LOST every game except the one against OSU in the B10 tournament - think they were 1-9 against ranked teams and most were not close.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Ironically Brenda talks about their tough schedule but they LOST every game except the one against OSU in the B10 tournament - think they were 1-9 against ranked teams and most were not close.

And I think there were lots of players transferring out after last season

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
San Jose is a much better airport unless you are stuck at the airport. Small and easy to get through security. The rental cars are in the parking garage next one of the terminals. Not quite as close as DSM but close.

My only issues there were long queues at rental cars if something went wrong with my flight that caused the rental to get shifted. For some reason my cell coverage in the rental garage is awful so I learned to modify any agreements before getting on the intra terminal bus.
Have been through SFO and OAK more times than I can count. I do like SFO, but that's just because I'm so familiar with it. Have only flown SJC once and that was last fall to see the 49ers play. It's definitely easier to navigate for the uninitiated, but I for sure wouldn't want to have to spend a lot of time there. Security was busy, but I have Pre-Check. It took me about three minutes from end of the queue to being done. My travel partner went through regular security and it still maybe only took him six or seven minutes on a relatively busy morning.

Looks like the arena at Stanford is about 18 miles or a 30 minute drive from SJC. So, there would be plenty of hotels closer to campus than near the airport. Just depends on where you want to stay. I will say that if you're looking for other stuff to do in your down time, San Jose is a dreadfully boring place for a city of 1,000,000. We struggled to entertain ourselves beyond a day trip to Monterey Bay for a whale watching expedition, the Winchester Mystery House (pricey, but a fun tour), and the game itself. Sorry to say the more interesting stuff to do is farther north. Regardless, I wish I was able to go this year!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
IIRC SFO has higher chance of delays and cancellations because of fogs and low clouds compared to SJC

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
If we can get past Maryland I would love for a national audience to get to see Crooks versus Brinks. Don't think anyone could doubt that Audi would really want this to. Brinks is defensive star and Stanford is a big "name". Downside is Stanford is a really good defensive team which is historically ISU kryptonite. They shutdown USC's JuJu Watkins but the rest of the Trojans stepped up to win that Pac-12 title game.
At some point last evening, ESPN did an interview with Stanford's 6'3 forward Kiki Iriafen, who was very well spoken, as would be expected of a Stanford Junior. Frankly, Stanford is a model program and a great measure of where you're headed. I glanced at their roster and they're a tall squad. CBF will need to get Addy Brown involved in the offense early and we'll need to move the ball quickly to create open shots, if we're to have a chance against them.

I just love the opportunity we have to play "bluebloods" this year. Everybody is good when you get to the tournament, but it doesn't elevate our national reputation to play Toledo or Creighton (and lose). I am psyched to play the Terps and feel confident in a positive outcome. Audi vs Cam on Sunday night would be a great way to end the weekend! Let's go State!!!

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The committee does a horrible job every year.

1. Out of the 68 teams, 67 end up losing.
2. The cumulative record of all the teams in the tournament ends up being .500.

If the committee's job is to pick the best teams, you would think they would have a better track record. Do better Tournament Committee. That is awful.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
IIRC SFO has higher chance of delays and cancellations because of fogs and low clouds compared to SJC

And, to make that issue worse, one of the runways for arrivals is closed for taxiway construction until the first of July. So there are near automatic delays every day until then. During clear weather, SFO will have side-by-side landings on the parallel runways at normal capacity for arrivals. Weather was fine when I was there nearly two weeks ago and still ended up with a 90 minute delay at my connection in Vegas simply because of the runway issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone13

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Reactions: StClone

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Players to watch out for in the WNCAA:

Good list of players of players to add to the Clark, Brinks, Reese and Bueckers but I might have added JuJu Watkins to the first group given how much they have talked about her all year. Cool to see Crooks on the list. She's been on the ESPN top freshman in the country list, and high up on that list, but it's cool to see it for an overall list. SO MANY great freshman across the country this season. Thing is with Watkins, for as mucha s they talk about her, almost nobody has seen her play because of the crap Pac-12 TV setup. I've only seen her twice and she played like crap in both of those games (although USC won).

Would be hard come up with a comparable list of MBB player "stars" these days. Outside of ones you know from your own league the big national names (and lesser names) go NBA or G league before you really know them.