***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The defense needs to be completely rebuilt. Anyone who still thinks this team's ceiling is being limited by Cousins isn't paying attention.

I love guys like Kendricks, Smith, and Peterson, but they're getting old and there were crucial misses by all of those guys yesterday. I don't think the line is bad, but the secondary and linebackers need massive overhauls.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
How did the Rams win last year? They didn't fit either category.
Really good veteran QB that, like much of their team had a lower cap hit that is blowing up this year and in the next couple of years. Basically they borrowed from the future.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The defense needs to be completely rebuilt. Anyone who still thinks this team's ceiling is being limited by Cousins isn't paying attention.

I love guys like Kendricks, Smith, and Peterson, but they're getting old and there were crucial misses by all of those guys yesterday. I don't think the line is bad, but the secondary and linebackers need massive overhauls.
Peterson had his moments this year but he looked his age yesterday. We need someone better.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Peterson had his moments this year but he looked his age yesterday. We need someone better.
He absolutely had some moments last year and I love what he brings as a veteran leader, but he's definitely lost a step and you could really see it yesterday trying to get Barkley down.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
He absolutely had some moments last year and I love what he brings as a veteran leader, but he's definitely lost a step and you could really see it yesterday trying to get Barkley down.
He is fine in a limited role but he absolutely can't be your #1 CB

Reactions: somecyguy

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Are Vikings fans serious that swapping Cousins for Lance the answer? I’m sorry, but I’m just not connecting those dots.

Reactions: isutrevman

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Are Vikings fans serious that swapping Cousins for Lance the answer? I’m sorry, but I’m just not connecting those dots.
There is a weird irrational hate for Cousins in the fanbase. I'm not some huge cousins fan and I'll be fine if we move on from him after this contract but he's way down on the list of worries.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I’m a huge Vikings fan, and that game was 100% lost by the defense. I don’t think cousins is worth his contract but the offense did enough to win yesterday. The age of the players and coach definitely shown through yesterday. Donatell has to go, the fact that they weren’t putting a spy on Daniel Jones after the first couple drives shows how inept he is.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No. I don't see any value in that. Cousins is fine for at least another couple years.

The Cousins issue is that he has a huge contract. He does a good job, but the question is could a cheaper QB be as effective and give you more money to invest in the defense.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

People don’t get it. They think the Bills window is going to open for a long time because of Allen’s age. In reality one prime window is closing this year. What do people think is going to happen to their roster next year? Their cap hit from Allen, Diggs and Milano goes from $33M to $73M. What happens to the Bengals roster after next season when Burrow is a UFA?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
How did the Rams win last year? They didn't fit either category.

Stafford is a level above Kirk, not debatable.. Plus Stafford's 2021 cap hit was $20M. $17.8M of that was on the Lions books. $24.8M of dead cap from Goff. So, the Rams had a $27M cap hit for their QB. That is $10M less than Kirks cap hit for 2023.. $4.5M below his 2022 hit. Vikings could have used $4.5M on another corner, center, or guard and are likely heading to San Fran this weekend.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
People don’t get it. They think the Bills window is going to open for a long time because of Allen’s age. In reality one prime window is closing this year. What do people think is going to happen to their roster next year? Their cap hit from Allen, Diggs and Milano goes from $33M to $73M. What happens to the Bengals roster after next season when Burrow is a UFA?
They'll exercise the 5th year option on Burrow for 2024, so his number will still be manageable in that year. They probably get his long term worked out, but 2025 will be the year his numbers really jump. Mixon will probably be gone after 2023 which will help but Tee Higgins is a FA after next season and he's going to want #1 money,

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Cousins isn’t the problem, he is a pretty good qb. But the defense is definitely the problem. It’s old and expensive.

The only problem with Cousins is just the money. Does having him prevent them from spending on the defense.

That said, there is not much you can do. You can't cut him, it saves no money. Trades would save a lot of cap space, but I'm not sure if anyone is taking him. Probably restructure.

Right now, the Vikings appear to be $19M over the cap for next year. Lots of work to do.
Thielen is possibly gone. (saves $13M)
Harrison Smith is possibly gone. (saves $15)
Za'Darius Smith is possibly gone. (saves $15)
Erik Kendricks is possibly gone. (saves $9.5M)
Cook is possibly gone (saves $11M)

I think you have to decide if Dalvin Tomlinson and Harrison Phillips are worth keeping. Cutting each of them saves about $5M, but that leaves a massive hole at DT. On the other hand, they couldn't really stop anyone, so is it that big a deal replacing them?

A lot probably depends on who the new DC is, assuming Donatell isn't back.

Jordan Hicks saves $5M if cut, so he should be gone. Asamoah looked pretty good.

Reactions: CycloneVet

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Stafford is a level above Kirk, not debatable.. Plus Stafford's 2021 cap hit was $20M. $17.8M of that was on the Lions books. $24.8M of dead cap from Goff. So, the Rams had a $27M cap hit for their QB. That is $10M less than Kirks cap hit for 2023.. $4.5M below his 2022 hit. Vikings could have used $4.5M on another corner, center, or guard and are likely heading to San Fran this weekend.

I know Stafford is better than Cousins, but he still doesn't hit your 2 categories. Cheaper than Cousins still isn't cheap.

I'm just being a little difficult as I don't think you are wrong, but I think there is a third category of "Mid-priced good QB". Maybe they can restructure Cousin's deal to get him in that category and I think you could win that way.

I'm just not sure what else you do. I have a feeling that tearing it down for a rookie or young unproven QB will send Jefferson running to the hills, but maybe not.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The last thing this team needs is a bad-throwing QB with an injury history. Plus SF would be insane to get rid of Lance right now anyway, they pay very little for his contract yet spent a lot of draft cap on him. He's there to stay awhile.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I know Stafford is better than Cousins, but he still doesn't hit your 2 categories. Cheaper than Cousins still isn't cheap.

I'm just being a little difficult as I don't think you are wrong, but I think there is a third category of "Mid-priced good QB". Maybe they can restructure Cousin's deal to get him in that category and I think you could win that way.

I'm just not sure what else you do. I have a feeling that tearing it down for a rookie or young unproven QB will send Jefferson running to the hills, but maybe not.
The Brady or mid-tire would be AMAZING. But outside of Tom, I can't name a QB who has taken that kind of contract??? Maybe I'm missing something.

To get a mid-tier contract, you likely have to sign a historically back-up quality QB like Jimmy Garoppolo or Geno Smith and PRAY for the best season of their career throwing to Justin Jefferson and Hock.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron