MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Would love to get Castillo, or Bednar, but throw together Sano, Steer, Gordon, Martin, and, of course, Pagan in a package deal.

Today was big win against a good Brewers team. Now let's take three from the Sox.
Reds won't take Pagan or Sano. Steer, Gordon and Martin might be a start. Reds would want at least 1 high end pitching prospect though.

Steer, Balozovich and say a Marco Raya might get you Castillo.

Bednar will be far too costly and he could flop. I would rather target 3 or 4 others and hope a couple hit. Robertson, Bard and Colome could be had for reasonable costs.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Could we see Garlick get DFA'd for Sano? Kiriloff, Celestino, Kepler, Buxton, and Gordon as outfielders? Basically only there as a righty who is good against lefties.
I would take Sano over Garlick for the remainder of the season. Better chance to drive in runs. Most of the hits that Garlick gets are in low leverage situations. He is down to .200 BARISP.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I would take Sano over Garlick for the remainder of the season. Better chance to drive in runs. Most of the hits that Garlick gets are in low leverage situations. He is down to .200 BARISP.

It'd be worth a shot, but not for more than a week or 2 if he sucks.

The RISP stat is a little misleading. 24 plate appearances is a small sample size. He has actually been awful with the bases empty. He has been a monster with a runner on first, so it's not like he just gets hits with empty bases. 4 of his 6 HR are 2 run HRs. Only Miranda has a better RBI per At Bat ratio on the team.

You just need to make sure he never hits against a RHP.

Now good Sano can be better than Garlick and doesn't have the dropoff against RHP, but as a platoon guy against lefties, it's hard to beat Garlick.

I have no idea if Garlick has any options, but there is no possible way you risk losing Garlick on waivers. He is too valuable in the playoffs with a smaller pitching staff.

Most likely the Twins will have an injury and Sano can take that spot and this discussion is moot.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Would love to get Castillo, or Bednar, but throw together Sano, Steer, Gordon, Martin, and, of course, Pagan in a package deal.

Today was big win against a good Brewers team. Now let's take three from the Sox.
I would hope they would trade Pagan for a half full bucket of whiffle balls.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hot take: I think Max is the outfielder that might get moved of any of them. And I’m ok with that (and I love Kepler), I really really like this young core a lot.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Hot take: I think Max is the outfielder that might get moved of any of them. And I’m ok with that (and I love Kepler), I really really like this young core a lot.

I would be in favor of that for a top line starter like Castillo

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I would be in favor of that for a top line starter like Castillo
Problem is a rebuilding team like the Reds would prefer Kirilloff or Larnach over Kepler. I’d offer Miranda, Austin Martin and Winder for Castillo and Alexis Diaz. Seems like a fair deal for both sides.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Problem is a rebuilding team like the Reds would prefer Kirilloff or Larnach over Kepler. I’d offer Miranda, Austin Martin and Winder for Castillo and Alexis Diaz. Seems like a fair deal for both sides.
Hard pass. That’s a massive part of the young core.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.....Bednar will be far too costly and he could flop. I would rather target 3 or 4 others and hope a couple hit. Robertson, Bard and Colome could be had for reasonable costs.
Robertson would be the only one of the three that would move the needle over guys the Twins will be bringing back off the IL. Hard pass on Colome.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Hard pass. That’s a massive part of the young core.
Miranda is playing his way into being untouchable. His upside as a hitter might be better than any rookie in baseball. The swagger he displayed on his way to 1st after his walk-off yesterday is reason enough alone to keep him.

Diaz doesn't have enough of a track record to justify a huge price and Castillo's contract isn't long enough to solidify the future starting rotation. 3/5 of the projected rotation for '23 (Castillo, Gray, Maeda} will be UFA at the end of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
......Castillo's contract isn't long enough to solidify the future starting rotation. 3/5 of the projected rotation for '23 (Castillo, Gray, Maeda} will be UFA at the end of the season.
Besides Castillo's contract, his past shoulder injuries are also a concern.

Don't know how the Twins would pay for it, but the homerun additions would be Montas, Robertson, and Mantiply.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Montas has been dealing with a sore shoulder. Wouldn’t touch him with a 10-foot pole.
The inflamation issue and missing a start is a concern, but the Twin's crack doctors would most likely give him a clean bill of health.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Just like the clean bill of health they gave Paddack.
That's what I was referring to.

At least Frankie doesn't have any structural damage. Who knows if rest until after the break will address his shoulder, but at least it should cheapen the A's asking price.

Last edited:

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
That's what I was referring to.

At least Freddie doesn't have any structural damage. Who knows if rest until after the break will address his shoulder, but at least it should cheapen the A's asking price.

Besides Castillo's contract, his past shoulder injuries are also a concern.

Don't know how the Twins would pay for it, but the homerun additions would be Montas, Robertson, and Mantiply.
Castillo and Montas are each under one more year of team control after this season.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Castillo and Montas are each under one more year of team control after this season.
OK?
Both have had shoulder injuries (one extended) and only an additional year of control. Both will have plenty of suitors.
We'll see if Falvey is interested in either. Hope so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron