2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
If it’s true he’s close with the Tyson family, I’d think it’s a done deal.
Probably getting a new chicken restaurant chain thrown in the deal to. Cal's Chicken, coming to a location near you soon.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Would be a huge get for Arkansas. That said, have they watched Kentucky in this new era of college basketball? Cal not exactly on the cutting edge…

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Would be a huge get for Arkansas. That said, have they watched Kentucky in this new era of college basketball? Cal not exactly on the cutting edge…
Cal still thought he could win in the tournament with 5 freshman starters. Doesn’t work anymore. Maybe he will adapt at Arkansas.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Now, does UK reach out to Scott Drew?
He'd be at the top of my list for any job. I would have put him ahead of Calipari. How many current head coaches have a national title under their belt? 7?

For all of Calipari's success on the recruiting trail, they came out of his 15 seasons with 1 national title. Their last Sweet Sixteen was in 2019. Things had definitely gone stale there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He'd be at the top of my list for any job. I would have put him ahead of Calipari. How many current head coaches have a national title under their belt? 7?

For all of Calipari's success on the recruiting trail, they came out of his 15 seasons with 1 national title. Their last Sweet Sixteen was in 2019. Things had definitely gone stale there.
And Drew is definitely used to transfers, something Cal hasn't totally embraced.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Drew
Self
Cal
Izzo
Hurley
Bennett
Pitino

Yup. 7. 8 if you consider Billy Donovan is still currently a basketball head coach, but at another level.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

I agree with everything here but I'm not sure Scott Drew is a "chase the money" type of guy. He already has a top ten salary at over five million per year. Maybe he throws his name out there to get a raise, but he seems pretty happy at Baylor.

I also have a hard time picturing nice guy Scott Drew wanting to put up with the fanatical Kentucy fanbase... just my opinion, though.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If your UK don't they have to ask Danny Hurley if there's interest? Maybe he's and east coast guy and feels he can thrive at UConn. But the NCAA is evolving so he'll have to evaluate that piece.

Drew makes a lot of sense because he's still young and has had tons of success at Baylor. And UK might get him closer to his Indiana roots (if that's important).

Oats is a natural, he's young, runs an uptempo style that is appealing to elite players.

Tommy Lloyd would be similar of Oats in age/style.

Brad Stevens might be a reach. But he's young and maybe in the NIL/transfer era running UK's program will be a bit like an NBA front office guy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Drew leaves Baylor for Kentucky...Does Tang leave KState for Baylor????
VMO6qeIbr7JRLnLTGw.webp

Reactions: cyfan21

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
If I were an Arkansas fan... I don't think I would be pleased with a Calipari hire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If I were an Arkansas fan... I don't think I would be pleased with a Calipari hire.

Yeah, me either. He’s 65. Even if they have lots of NIL money, does he understand it? Of course their list was really bad. At least Calipari gets everyone talking about them for a few days.