2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You have to remember that a big portion of the college basketball community still views Kentucky as one of the top 1-4 jobs in all of college basketball. While it hasn't won a ton in the post season of late, it still holds most records related to winning (# of wins, winning %, etc) so there are very high standards. While Pope may be a good coach, it has to feel like a kick in the nuts to Kentucky fans that expected the top coaches in the country to be fighting for the job.

I was thinking last night, I'm actually surprised Cronin didn't ever come up as a possibility. I don't know what his buyout is, but he seems like a good cultural/personality fit at Kentucky. He hasn't set the world on fire at UCLA, but I think Kentucky has been a lot more attractive to athletes over the past 10 years.
If I were Cronin, I'd take the UK job for sure. I don't think their over the top expectations would sweat him too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer

NYCBFan

Mar 18, 2024
You have to remember that a big portion of the college basketball community still views Kentucky as one of the top 1-4 jobs in all of college basketball. While it hasn't won a ton in the post season of late, it still holds most records related to winning (# of wins, winning %, etc) so there are very high standards. While Pope may be a good coach, it has to feel like a kick in the nuts to Kentucky fans that expected the top coaches in the country to be fighting for the job.

I was thinking last night, I'm actually surprised Cronin didn't ever come up as a possibility. I don't know what his buyout is, but he seems like a good cultural/personality fit at Kentucky. He hasn't set the world on fire at UCLA, but I think Kentucky has been a lot more attractive to athletes over the past 10 years.
I don't think Cronin was a good fit at least stylistically, he has that intense defensive mindset and Kentucky for the most part has been a program with a high flying offense. It's a glamour program, Cronin isn't a glamour guy. Cincinnati was actually the perfect fit for him.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Pope being gone is great for ISU. We have to play BYU twice and that is already a tough road trip and his style was a bad matchup

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018

No idea, seems like a loophole to overpay the coach with the understanding they’ll put money into it. Maybe it’s because it’s a different school.
Coach can’t contribute to NIL at their school. Dosent stop them from handshake off the record deals, for instance Scott Drew could give a million to KSU’s NIL and Tang could give a million to Baylor’s NIL

Reactions: isufbcurt

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

I think Cronin likes it in L.A. On his interview with Cowherd, he made a point that every day he turns left onto Sunset to go to work, and it makes him smile.

Reactions: Jer

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Wow. Seems like a grand slam hire for the Cougars. Much of what I read online made it seem like Young would be out of reach for the Cougars given how he's on track for a NBA head coaching job.

The Big 12's insane stable of elite coaches might not be dropping off much at all.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It does seem like a really good hire, but you have to wonder how long they'll have him before he grabs an open spot in the NBA (particularly if he does well there).
Head coach of the Jazz in a couple years if he can have BYU remain competitive.

I didn't realize how little postseason success BYU has historically had until @ChrisMWilliams said it on a recent pod.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Head coach of the Jazz in a couple years if he can have BYU remain competitive.

I didn't realize how little postseason success BYU has historically had until @ChrisMWilliams said it on a recent pod.
I think the deal is $30m for 7 years which is orders of magnitude higher than they have ever paid before. The Big 12 money is paying off.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think the deal is $30m for 7 years which is orders of magnitude higher than they have ever paid before. The Big 12 money is paying off.
Already have the facilities I’d say so might as well!

Reactions: CyCoug

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron