Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I’m sorry, but shouldn’t they consider businesses that have been open for at least a year to make sure they aren’t just being their launching pad for them? Of course them have only sold a few burgers up to this because they were only open for a short time before.
I don't know why there's no rule about length of being open. Maybe they want to encourage support of local businesses.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't know why there's no rule about length of being open. Maybe they want to encourage support of local businesses.
I think having a length of time also will mean some consistency also. I’ve seen several places that opened with great food but kinda deteriorated a little at a time. By a years time you have things settled on how they are going to be.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Has anybody ever ate at the gas station on 80 between Newton and Grinnell? It's called "Iowa's Best Burger Cafe". Apparently they won the award years ago. Their burgers are pretty average though. Apparently Iowan's have really upped their burger game over the decades.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Has anybody ever ate at the gas station on 80 between Newton and Grinnell? It's called "Iowa's Best Burger Cafe". Apparently they won the award years ago. Their burgers are pretty average though. Apparently Iowan's have really upped their burger game over the decades.
They have some darn good ice cream though. Their burgers are average like you say though.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
this award is always a bit questionable because iirc
  1. you have you use Iowa beef
  2. no repeat winners

so while these places may serve a tasty burger, calling it the "best in iowa" is a bit bold, imo

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
  2. no repeat winners

so while these places may serve a tasty burger, calling it the "best in iowa" is a bit bold, imo

It's like the tenderloin award by the pork producers, it creates a little buzz for the industry and the restaurants, but yeah might not technically be the best burger it'll be a pretty darn good one.
Brick City won a few yrs back I went for the burger, but now usually get the Nachos when I go. Both contests are good for both the pork and beef producers and the restaurant industry.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
  2. no repeat winners

That changed this year.

This year, for the first time, previous winners were allowed to compete. Three of those previous winners are among the top 10 finalists: Chuckwagon Restaurant in Adair (2016), The Flying Elbow in Marshalltown (2022) and Flight Bar + Grille in Huxley (2023).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That changed this year.

This year, for the first time, previous winners were allowed to compete. Three of those previous winners are among the top 10 finalists: Chuckwagon Restaurant in Adair (2016), The Flying Elbow in Marshalltown (2022) and Flight Bar + Grille in Huxley (2023).
Maybe have a 5 year wait to win again? Having the last two on there would thin the potential new ones.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
  2. no repeat winners

I always keep in mind that awards like this, and frankly almost all awards in general, are completely subjective and arbitrary. They don't mean anything unless you choose to give them value.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Stopped at the place that won in Ossian that won a few weeks ago and it was.....a burger? I guess. It was fine but it certainly wasn't anything I'll go out of my way to get again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I always keep in mind that awards like this, and frankly almost all awards in general, are completely subjective and arbitrary. They don't mean anything unless you choose to give them value.
You mean those awards I got in elementary mean nothing?

Reactions: 2122

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You mean those awards I got in elementary mean nothing?
And your mom's father is not, in fact, the "World's Greatest Grandpa"

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm going to have to check this place out, another good new place to get a burger is the new patio restaurant across from Sec Taylor downtown Des Moines, Chelsie's Courtyard Diner.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY