***2023-24 College Football Thread***

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The bottom line is that if MN returner had made a fair catch signal and then ran it back for a touchdown, hawk fans and coaches would be screaming. If just 1 guy on the field thinks he fair caught the punt, it would be a huge advantage.

And in the field-level video I saw posted by an Iowa fan complaining about the call, number 24 for Minnesota clearly breaks down and starts jogging when he sees DeJean waving his arm around like that. It absolutely had an impact on the coverage team.

I’m also struck by one of DeJean’s explanations, about how he’s never called a fair catch with his left arm ever in his life. So opposing teams are supposed to figure out which arm is “valid” and which arm isn’t? Waving your left arm around clearly indicates you’re still intending to return the kick, only the right arm should be paid attention to? Hmmm …

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Don't try reasoning with anyone in here, they are all officiating experts all of a sudden even though 100% of them wouldn't have had a clue before the play.
Ok, let me ask you this then. Normally if you go back to review something like possession on an out of bounds ball, is it normal to look at that, rewind the video 10 seconds and then look for let's say a foul, and then call that? That's pretty much what happened last night according to Feretnz.
Targeting is the only penalty that can be reviewed.

There was no penalty on this play. It’s a dead ball. The review was the same as checking where forward progress stopped, if the ball was fumbled before the player was down, where a player went out of bounds, if the ball crossed the goal line, if a receivers feet (or foot) was down in bounds, if the receiver had possession, etc.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
And in the field-level video I saw posted by an Iowa fan complaining about the call, number 24 for Minnesota clearly breaks down and starts jogging when he sees DeJean waving his arm around like that. It absolutely had an impact on the coverage team.

I’m also struck by one of DeJean’s explanations, about how he’s never called a fair catch with his left arm ever in his life. So opposing teams are supposed to figure out which arm is “valid” and which arm isn’t? Waving your left arm around clearly indicates you’re still intending to return the kick, only the right arm should be paid attention to? Hmmm …
Plus, isn’t DeJean’s explanation the whole point for the rule?

You don’t want a returner to be able to wave with their left arm so that the defense stops playing and then run it in for a touchdown. It’s cheap and also dangerous to returners because the kicking team will start tacking players who they think didn’t make a valid fair catch call.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wonder how many Iowa fans were OK with the swap at the ball in the snap or have made them to be the same thing somehow.

Reactions: simply1

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
B1g W teams get a total of one vote in this week’s AP poll. And to be honest, Wisconsin doesn’t deserve it.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
We're getting into semantics at this point. The bottom line is the right call was made on review.

Semantics are why Iowa fans can’t figure it out. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Very few penalties in the field of play can be reviewed. That is why it is important to note it is invalid, not illegal.

Last edited:

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Change the subject. I thought it was great that OU and UT almost got beat to two newbies. That may bode well for the rest of the season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I’m pretty sure Dejean knew exactly what he was doing. Reminds me a lot of Kurt feigning outrage over Frost calling him out when the video completely showed Frost had a legitimate complaint.

Yeah, I think he actually signaled a half ass fair catch to freeze the defense just enough to get guys to slow down. Watch the replay and see how he ran right past 4 guys that were jogging to the sideline. Just like KSU used to hold on every punt return because they got away with it half the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, I think he actually signaled a half ass fair catch to freeze the defense just enough to get guys to slow down. Watch the replay and see how he ran right past 4 guys that were jogging to the sideline. Just like KSU used to hold on every punt return because they got away with it half the time.

It'll be interesting if he gets called for it more now that everyone will have their eye out for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Having a hard time with my bias determining if this is actually a big deal or if this is just some Michigan hate. Anyone have thoughts one way or another? Obv don’t know all the details yet and the recording of signals is a newer development but I’m just curious