***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I realize this may sound stupid..... but given the lack of success of Big 10 1st round QB,s (other than Stroud) I am very weary of McCarthy. I'm on board with the Turner pick. Time will tell.
What Big 10 1st round QBs? He's the first non-Buckeye 1st round Big 10 QB since 1996. There have only be 3 Buckeye first round QB picks in the last 25 years.

Justin Fields: Not a super star, but not a bust and a completely different style than McCarthy
Haskings; bust, but also a crazy first round pick. Really only played 1 year on college.
Pryor: completely different type of QB and he was drafted that high because he had a high floor as a WR.

JJ seems to be more in the Purdy mold. Reading defenses, anticipating routes, etc. Not sure he can play as well as Brock, but he's got a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Guilty, I slammed GB in the draft thread.
Got it. So you feel bad about the way Green Bay picked and are looking to drag down fans of other teams into your misery. Makes sense.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I am leery of McCarthy. But he definitely has been elite his whole career. And he wins. Period. One college loss. Like maybe 3 HS losses total. And when the pressure was on he did deliver. In college his teammates had excellent talent. He’ll have the same in Minnesota. And he played in a pro style offense. That will aid him as he adjusts. Vikings actually got a great pick for the price paid. Dallas Turner is like a bonus.
There’s reason to be leery of any QB getting drafted. But playing for a conservative coach on a team that didn’t need to score a bunch doesn’t change the fact that in a lot of critical measurements he was elite, particularly accuracy when under pressure, third and long performance, etc.

I love Daniels, but they also had two WR drafted in the first round.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Man all your years of irrelevance has made you cranky.
Vikings got a steal at pick 17. I haven't seen one analyst think it was a bad trade/selection. Many analysts had Turner as the best defensive player in the draft.
I know you're trolling, but you've got to pick your spots to troll. This isn't one of them

Reactions: Letterkenny

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Got it. So you feel bad about the way Green Bay picked and are looking to drag down fans of other teams into your misery. Makes sense.
Not really I enjoy slamming Bear and Viking fans year around. My little brother was a Lion fan. I constantly told him I felt too sorry for them to spread any grief. Pretty sure that was even worse.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
As far as drafting QBs, it's ok to admit no one has any clue which ones will be good and which ones will be busts. I really wanted Penix, but I don't know ****. Few things annoy me more than analysts praising a team for taking QB A, or ripping on a team for trading up to take QB B. They have no idea who will be good.

As a Vikings fan, I hope McCarthy turns out to be stud.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
There’s reason to be leery of any QB getting drafted. But playing for a conservative coach on a team that didn’t need to score a bunch doesn’t change the fact that in a lot of critical measurements he was elite, particularly accuracy when under pressure, third and long performance, etc.

I love Daniels, but they also had two WR drafted in the first round.
Three if you count the Niners pick and their time together at ASU.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Man all your years of irrelevance has made you cranky.

Irrelevance is something I have been told often as a life long Cyclone.

First I have heard that Dallas Turner is a head case. What do you think of Aaron Rodgers?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Tbh I wanted Penix more than JJ but that largely because I thought we were going to have to give up a lot of JJ. Hopefully the NFL draft is just like my luck with the NHL draft. Where the players I want turn out to be busts and the player I don’t want turn out to be stars.

Was a bit worried about the amount we gave up to get Turner. After doing some more reading on him, you almost always got to take the chance to grab him. With defense falling so much this draft. You arguable got a top ten talent, for the price of later round lottery tickets. The chances you hit on 3rd+ round players is lower than Turner.

Reactions: Stormin

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The Vikings are really solid at pretty much every other position (interior OL notwithstanding). Getting a QB1 and the top edge rusher in the draft are absolutely the highest impact moves they could make.
They are sort of OK. They have a whole bunch of so-so CBs. They don't have much depth in defensive linemen. They are ok at safety if Smith continues to be very good.

If Cine, Booth and Jerry Tillery finally step up a bit that does take care of those 3 positions.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Irrelevance is something I have been told often as a life long Cyclone.

First I have heard that Dallas Turner is a head case. What do you think of Aaron Rodgers?
I'm only judging by the on air comments on his behavior in the green room and his walk to the stage. Typical you want to deflect with Rodgers but I'll bite. Thankful he got us a SB. Other than that he was a pain in the ass.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They are sort of OK. They have a whole bunch of so-so CBs. They don't have much depth in defensive linemen. They are ok at safety if Smith continues to be very good.

If Cine, Booth and Jerry Tillery finally step up a bit that does take care of those 3 positions.
And we just drafted a defensive lineman.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm only judging by the on air comments on his behavior in the green room and his walk to the stage. Typical you want to deflect with Rodgers but I'll bite. Thankful he got us a SB. Other than that he was a pain in the ass.
If that's your basis, almost everyone is a "head case" last night

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron