2022 Iowa High School Football Playoffs

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not the bad ones, but the top couple probably could. That is another reason for this. Being from NC Iowa, everyone wanted to play Mason City. They were a 4A (back before 5A) and were very bad. They were getting beat by Clear Lake, a 2A school, and sometimes not tight games.

And in the old, old point system days, picking off a team (even a bad team) that was 2 classes higher was a significant bonus.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
And what is crazy, many of those small towns with limited resources could come in to the metro and mop up these 4 and 5A schools.
Some would for sure. But you are talking about the best schools in smaller classes between the worst metro schools.

The DM metro school sports are really hard to put in the right situation for a lot of sports, and what makes something like deciding on splitting from the CIML challenging. For a lot of the sports there's not a lot of middle ground.

As an example, our girls BB team in Ames lost to SEP by 50 last week, then last night they played East and subbed JV kids in the first half, and played rotation kids for a possession or two in the second half. They were up something like 56-4 before playing JV kids almost the entire 2nd half. I think Hoover is just as bad.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And in the old, old point system days, picking off a team (even a bad team) that was 2 classes higher was a significant bonus.
Definitely, My senior year, we were the smallest 2A in the state, but played a few 3As and mostly 2As otherwise. 4 teams made it from a district. We were second in our district at 6-2. If you were undefeated, they had like 2x multiplier then, to guarantee undefeated teams made the playoffs. There were 4 undefeated teams in our district. I think a loss to a school two classes bigger may have given you more points than a win against a school a class below you.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I love how we’re all here just projecting on HS kids that their hopes and dreams center around wanting to become a power in IA HS football.
No one is saying that any of these schools will become a power and make the playoff. What this does is give them an opportunity to win some games for a change.

For many of these schools that are getting beaten by 50 points game after game, then kids stop going out, this may cause more of them to stay involved and better teams will result from that. The current system was not working, this may, and for many schools that chance is worth trying it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
No one is saying that any of these schools will become a power and make the playoff. What this does is give them an opportunity to win some games for a change.

For many of these schools that are getting beaten by 50 points game after game, then kids stop going out, this may cause more of them to stay involved and better teams will result from that. The current system was not working, this may, and for many schools that chance is worth trying it.

Try it. Hoover, Perry and Saydel will just lose to small schools by 30-40 pts instead of big schools by 50 pts.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Try it. Hoover, Perry and Saydel will just lose to small schools by 30-40 pts instead of big schools by 50 pts.
Maybe they will, but is that not better than losing by 50 points or more game after game? Its always going to be a struggle for some teams in the state, but this change is doing more for them than anything else the Boys Union has done in the past 30 years.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
They want to make it perfect and keep the PC and anti private critics happy.
Exactly. The state high school associations are a joke.
Maybe they will, but is that not better than losing by 50 points or more game after game? Its always going to be a struggle for some teams in the state, but this change is doing more for them than anything else the Boys Union has done in the past 30 years.
You guys never get any better so we’ll try to rig it for you. Maybe they can get a nice trophy too.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Not sure about the last two years. Schools were getting so much Covid money still that we about went into shock this September when we had to pay for our kids meals for the first time since the Covid outbreak. Had been free up to this point for everyone. Not sure if it was just ours or all schools though.
It was all school districts. Some iowa school districts have elected to continue to go free lunch this school year however govt funding for free lunches stopped this school year.

• Informative

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Exactly. The state high school associations are a joke.

You guys never get any better so we’ll try to rig it for you. Maybe they can get a nice trophy too.
Who is "you guys"? No one is rigging anything, just trying to help the schools that could use some help, what is wrong with that? Don't tell me you are really afraid of the Hoover's and Perry's of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Who is "you guys"? No one is rigging anything, just trying to help the schools that could use some help, what is wrong with that? Don't tell me you are really afraid of the Hoover's and Perry's of the world.
“You guys” is the Hoovers and Perry’s of the world. Hire a coach who knows what’s going on. Get kids in the weight room and get kids out. There is nothing stopping these schools from improving if they want to.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
“You guys” is the Hoovers and Perry’s of the world. Hire a coach who knows what’s going on. Get kids in the weight room and get kids out. There is nothing stopping these schools from improving if they want to.

That reminds of Saydel and they tried to do just that.

But when their coach made the kids practice "too hard"..........the parents called the cops.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Go look at the demographics for the Perry School District. Its not as simple as just hiring a Coach.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You really think its as simple as just hiring a great coach. If you are a talented up and coming coach, you don't take the job at a school like Hoover or Perry. Just too much downside and not enough upside to chance it.

Truthfully after coaching and getting to know very successful coaches, I learned some very hard facts. It's much easier to maintain a program, than be the coach that turns it around. The coaches at the successful programs have all the benefits, they open up the weight room, and the kids are there, they do not have to beg kids, they have parents that are looking to help you, they have the kids out, they do not have to recruit and beg them to play.

Everyone wants to play for a winning program, few are willing to put in the time, effort and sacrifice when you are going to struggle to win a game or two. Some schools are never going to be good at a sport, while others like Dowling and W. Des Moines are almost going to have to go out of their way to bad.

• Agree

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
That reminds of Saydel and they tried to do just that.

But when their coach made the kids practice "too hard"..........the parents called the cops.
If they don’t want to put in the effort than why should the state make special rules?

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
You really think its as simple as just hiring a great coach. If you are a talented up and coming coach, you don't take the job at a school like Hoover or Perry. Just too much downside and not enough upside to chance it.

Truthfully after coaching and getting to know very successful coaches, I learned some very hard facts. It's much easier to maintain a program, than be the coach that turns it around. The coaches at the successful programs have all the benefits, they open up the weight room, and the kids are there, they do not have to beg kids, they have parents that are looking to help you, they have the kids out, they do not have to recruit and beg them to play.

Everyone wants to play for a winning program, few are willing to put in the time, effort and sacrifice when you are going to struggle to win a game or two. Some schools are never going to be good at a sport, while others like Dowling and W. Des Moines are almost going to have to go out of their way to bad.
I see, it’s too much work.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I see, it’s too much work.
If that is what you got out of what I wrote, then I will say, you have no idea. You cannot make chicken soup from chicken ****, and that is what these coaches are trying to do.

But if they just hire the "right" coach, its easy. I am sure those coaches are busting their butt, but they just have too many hurdles to overcome playing at the level they are currently at. Move them down a class or even two, and then see what happens. No guarantees that they are going to go .500%, but at least they can be competitive, and that should be the goal.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If that is what you got out of what I wrote, then I will say, you have no idea. You cannot make chicken soup from chicken ****, and that is what these coaches are trying to do.

But if they just hire the "right" coach, its easy. I am sure those coaches are busting their butt, but they just have too many hurdles to overcome playing at the level they are currently at. Move them down a class or even two, and then see what happens. No guarantees that they are going to go .500%, but at least they can be competitive, and that should be the goal.

That's the thing though. They won't be competitive. Issues in those towns run deep.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron